Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122
Results 1,816 to 1,820 of 1820

Chicago Cubs 2019 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo617 View Post
    Minor league structure changes being considered.

http://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2...ing-the-draft/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I think I hate that. I agree with Brett that the more places that have baseball teams the better. The more players teams can bring into their system, the better. Iíd imagine this will also align with a proposal to move IFA to an international draft and raise the age of eligible players from 16 to 18 so less players are in farm systems. I donít hate raising the age, but I donít like the idea of an International draft and really donít hope it happens in 2020 with the Cubs linked to the possible #1 prospect.

It reads like a lot of effort to raise minor league salaries and not spend more money.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think I hate that. I agree with Brett that the more places that have baseball teams the better. The more players teams can bring into their system, the better. Iíd imagine this will also align with a proposal to move IFA to an international draft and raise the age of eligible players from 16 to 18 so less players are in farm systems. I donít hate raising the age, but I donít like the idea of an International draft and really donít hope it happens in 2020 with the Cubs linked to the possible #1 prospect.

It reads like a lot of effort to raise minor league salaries and not spend more money.
    I actually think you can probably make player development more efficient when you can put your resources into guys who aren't just org filler. I'd love for minor league players to get a living wage and for fringe guys to move on from the game into something more viable more easily. That said, I'm not sure how good this is for the long-term health of the game. Baseball is a local sport. Having it in as many markets as you can is what can keep it relevant.

I'd dislike that a lot. Local baseball can mean the world to some of those folks.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball can show that. Wonderful documentary on Netflix, for those who haven't seen it, of the last independent AAA team in baseball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chicago Cubs 2019 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I actually think you can probably make player development more efficient when you can put your resources into guys who aren't just org filler. I'd love for minor league players to get a living wage and for fringe guys to move on from the game into something more viable more easily. That said, I'm not sure how good this is for the long-term health of the game. Baseball is a local sport. Having it in as many markets as you can is what can keep it relevant.
    We agree on the negative impact of taking it out of markets.

I donít really agree with it being a potentially good thing to force more players out of the game earlier. Iím sure itís cheaper to have less levels of minor leagues, so itís efficient, but I think itís a negative. If it leads to an International Draft as I suspect, that could also hurt the game. Every team can play in the IFA market. If the draft is tied to team performance itís just another incentive for teams to tank and not spend money on players.

Would they still have a DSL?

Also hasnít there been an increase in the amount of HS players signing with mlb teams over going to college in recent years? Thatíll be hard to maintain without low levels of the minor leagues. If Iím mlb I want to get as many of these guys into the system as I can, not push them to college baseball.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    We agree on the negative impact of taking it out of markets.

I donít really agree with it being a potentially good thing to force more players out of the game earlier. Iím sure itís cheaper to have less levels of minor leagues, so itís efficient, but I think itís a negative. If it leads to an International Draft as I suspect, that could also hurt the game. Every team can play in the IFA market. If the draft is tied to team performance itís just another incentive for teams to tank and not spend money on players.

Would they still have a DSL?

Also hasnít there been an increase in the amount of HS players signing with mlb teams over going to college in recent years? Thatíll be hard to maintain without low levels of the minor leagues. If Iím mlb I want to get as many of these guys into the system as I can, not push them to college baseball.
    unlikely they would delete complex-based rookie league teams like GCL and AFL. DSL is here to stay as well. In all these cases teams have built complexes and invested significant money. Teams and leagues mist at risk are probably Northwest League and New York Penn League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.Ē -- Teddy Roosevelt