Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

Chicago Cubs 2019 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

Everyone's favorite Minor League thread is back and better than ever.

Click here for information on some of the Cubs best, brightest, and coolest top prospects:

Baseball America top-10

MLB.Com Top-30

Fangraphs Top-31
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-01-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Jose Albertos, a once promising young prospect is going backwards primarily due to his control. He's still young, but he can't throw strikes. I don't see how he's he's ever going to be an option as a major leaguer if he can't throw strikes.

It's time to accelerate Alzolay's career. He's no longer considered "very young", he's been a minor league pitcher for 6 years, and we need to start developing pitching simply because it's cheap.

I'm ready to see him up this year.

Pitchers move at a glacial pace in our system and Theo specifically said he likes buying pitching, by saying, "let them figure out how to pitch elsewhere". Its certainly frustrating knowing how many orgs move pitchers aggressively and seeing us go a year/level at a time, and even often repeat levels even after they produced really good results. That said I don't think there's been a single arm in our system that could've been a Jordan Hicks type of impact arm. The problem is that our guys placed emphasis on clean arms with pitchability and not live stuff. I mean personally I haven't been excited about a single pitcher we've drafted after I read their reports. They are almost all medium floor-low ceiling guys that need to buck the odds to even become serviceable BORPs. I have not cared for the strategy from day 1.

Im hoping theyll draft a guy or two with a fastball this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Pitchers move at a glacial pace in our system and Theo specifically said he likes buying pitching, by saying, "let them figure out how to pitch elsewhere". Its certainly frustrating knowing how many orgs move pitchers aggressively and seeing us go a year/level at a time, and even often repeat levels even after they produced really good results. That said I don't think there's been a single arm in our system that could've been a Jordan Hicks type of impact arm. The problem is that our guys placed emphasis on clean arms with pitchability and not live stuff. I mean personally I haven't been excited about a single pitcher we've drafted after I read their reports. They are almost all medium floor-low ceiling guys that need to buck the odds to even become serviceable BORPs. I have not cared for the strategy from day 1.
    I think there's a decent chance Justin Steele could make his MLB debut this year. His fastball has been ticking up, and was sitting mid 90s as a SP last year. I would not be shocked to see him take the "BP to the rotation" route and come up mid-later year as a back-end-BP lefty to being the heir-apparent to Hamels next year in the rotation.

I think he might be my favorite arm in the system, at least shorter term. He's got injury in him so I'm not sure what he will do long term, but it's great to hear his fastball has gotten so much better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think there's a decent chance Justin Steele could make his MLB debut this year. His fastball has been ticking up, and was sitting mid 90s as a SP last year. I would not be shocked to see him take the "BP to the rotation" route and come up mid-later year as a back-end-BP lefty to being the heir-apparent to Hamels next year in the rotation.

I think he might be my favorite arm in the system, at least shorter term. He's got injury in him so I'm not sure what he will do long term, but it's great to hear his fastball has gotten so much better.

Steele certainly piques my interest. I think he has a decent ceiling. I also like Marquez and I hope that if he stays healthy they attempt to fast-track him a bit. I like their potential impact on our future staff. The FO has been in charge too long to not have a plethora of arms knocking on the door by now though.

I like Steele in the bullpen. Very long shot chance he sticks as a starter imo. The injury history scares me. Personally would love to see him up sooner rather than later. I still hate our bullpen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I like Steele in the bullpen. Very long shot chance he sticks as a starter imo. The injury history scares me. Personally would love to see him up sooner rather than later. I still hate our bullpen.

I wouldn't say a long shot. As a SP his FB is riding in the mid-90s. His injury history isn't great but he didn't have durability issues last year. If his secondary offerings get a little better I think he's a good bet to stay in the rotation. At least better than the longshot designation.

I wouldn't say a long shot. As a SP his FB is riding in the mid-90s. His injury history isn't great but he didn't have durability issues last year. If his secondary offerings get a little better I think he's a good bet to stay in the rotation. At least better than the longshot designation.

Maybe long shot is harsh as I do like his stuff but im always pessimistic on pitchers because injury history.

Pitchers just scare the **** out of me.

-Really intrigued by Hoerner, Roederer and Davis. Seems to be a lot of potential with that group. Would be a huge boost to the system if these guys keep progressing.

-From all the scouting reports I have read Amaya is a very good defensive catcher in the making, if he can keep taking steps with the bat he might be the catcher of the future.

-Lange has been a disappointment. I was really happy to get him a few years back and his numbers aren't terrible but he just doesn't strike anyone out. Not a lot of upside there it seems.

-Still so thin on pitching, but at the same time I almost want this front office to just keep drafting college bats in the first round. It seems to be the thing they do best.

Willy will be 27 this year with 3 years of control still. He's an all star catcher right now. I would hate to think that Willy is not our catcher in the future. Unless we do another rebuild.

Hopefully, Amaya is in his upper 20's when Willy is done being our catcher.

The Cubs need to move some of their pitchers up through the system faster. It really sucks to look at our guys and see that a star impact pitcher is probably not in our system right now.

Marquez: 20 years old in A.......trouble throwing strikes.....nice FB.........still needs work

Alzolay: 24 years old in AAA.....probably is who he is........I'd give him a shot this year

Steele: 23 years in AA......healed nicely from TJS.......I'd start to move him quickly now

Abbott: 23 years old in A+.....has one good pitch......I don't really expect anything from him

Thompson: 24 years old in AA....nothing special......innings guy......I'd move him along to see what we have

Lange: 23 years old in A+.....disappointing up to this point....maybe he is what he is.....mop up guy?
    Last edited by thawv; 03-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I love Brailyn Marquez. His raw stuff seems to be amongst the best in the system and he has the build to remain a SP. I didn't think his K/BB ratio was that bad for his age but it'd be nice if they put him on the fast track to see how he handles it. If I remember correctly I believe he topped out around 99 and his secondaries were showing promise from some of the twitter threads I saw on him.
    Still very young so hard to get too excited but I think he has the most upside of any pitcher in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    The Cubs need to move some of their pitchers up through the system faster. It really sucks to look at our guys and see that a star impact pitcher is probably not in our system right now.

Marquez: 20 years old in A.......trouble throwing strikes.....nice FB.........still needs work

Alzolay: 24 years old in AAA.....probably is who he is........I'd give him a shot this year

Steele: 23 years in AA......healed nicely from TJS.......I'd start to move him quickly now

Abbott: 23 years old in A+.....has one good pitch......I don't really expect anything from him

Thompson: 24 years old in AA....nothing special......innings guy......I'd move him along to see what we have

Lange: 23 years old in A+.....disappointing up to this point....maybe he is what he is.....mop up guy?
    Yeah..the glacial pace they move pitchers through the system is ****ing annoying. Its basically why our bullpen is so sketchy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Yeah..the glacial pace they move pitchers through the system is ****ing annoying. Its basically why our bullpen is so sketchy imo.

I think Mekkes will be a pen arm sometime next season and will be a fixture in the pen starting in 2020. But, yes, it is not only starters they are struggling with in the system. It is the pen as well. And they really need to add some of those guys in that capacity. Pen arms from the system would save them $10M to $20M a year in their payroll. It would be great if they can fill the holes of guys like Cishek, maybe Morrow and maybe Strop leaving next year with minor league arms.

Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast