Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121 LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1814
    Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Apparently the Cubs interviewed Kyle Boddy, founder of Driveline for an unspecified player development role. That's definitely cutting edge.
    Difficult to imagine the Cubs are the first to try to recruit this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Difficult to imagine the Cubs are the first to try to recruit this guy.
    Just looked him up to read about him, I found this article from June and it mentioned 7 teams had approached him..
    Number probably went up by now..

Maybe the Cubs were one of the seven then and this interview here is more of a contract discussion

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...r-league-role/

Now THAT is legitimately exciting. Having a guy like Boddy come in would revolutionize our whole development system, especially from the pitching side. I really hope we can bring him in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone with The Athletic outline what they said about Boddy in the article?

Chicago Cubs 2019 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

I guess my question about Boddy is what does he know that isnít already public knowledge? Maybe a lot. Maybe nothing. What they are doing at Driveline was pretty revolutionary but it isnít a secret now. Is there a next level to it that can be a competitive advantage or are you hiring a smart guy who already told everyone his smart ideas?

Sharmaís article on the pitch lab was interesting. If they hire Boddy, thatís great. If not, thatís fine too. I think from what we know Sagara is doing great work and we are seeing the results. I think what they need most of all in the FO is someone from the outside who can help identify the right pitchers to draft/sign. I doubt thatís Boddy, but I donít know, maybe it is.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Chicago Cubs 2019 Minor League News, Notes and Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Can someone with The Athletic outline what they said about Boddy in the article?

Most of it was about Sagara and the pitch lab. Talked about Ryan, Wick, Wieck...

This was the Boddy reference:
    The organizationís player development staff will undergo more changes soon as the Cubs continue to modernize their front office, with sources indicating that Driveline founder and owner Kyle Boddy recently interviewed for an unspecified player development role with the organization.

They were already in the midst of embracing the type of technological advances that Boddy help popularize. While the Cubs have had the new-age technology as long as other organizations, itís the staff theyíve begun to put together thatís helped them turn the corner.
    Last edited by CP_414; 09-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Most of it was about Sagara and the pitch lab. Talked about Ryan, Wick, Wieck...

The organizationís player development staff will undergo more changes soon as the Cubs continue to modernize their front office, with sources indicating that Driveline founder and owner Kyle Boddy recently interviewed for an unspecified player development role with the organization.

They were already in the midst of embracing the type of technological advances that Boddy help popularize. While the Cubs have had the new-age technology as long as other organizations, itís the staff theyíve begun to put together thatís helped them turn the corner.
    Thank you buddy I appreciate it. Definitely interesting. I hear what youíre saying about needing a guy to identify talent more. I just think if Boddy has extra knowledge when it comes to development, he could be a huge asset.

I guess my question about Boddy is what does he know that isnít already public knowledge? Maybe a lot. Maybe nothing. What they are doing at Driveline was pretty revolutionary but it isnít a secret now. Is there a next level to it that can be a competitive advantage or are you hiring a smart guy who already told everyone his smart ideas?

Sharmaís article on the pitch lab was interesting. If they hire Boddy, thatís great. If not, thatís fine too. I think from what we know Sagara is doing great work and we are seeing the results. I think what they need most of all in the FO is someone from the outside who can help identify the right pitchers to draft/sign. I doubt thatís Boddy, but I donít know, maybe it is.
    I think Driveline has been working on some stuff on the hitting side? That sort of stuff may be ahead of public knowledge. I'm sure he can also catch them up on best practices they might be missing out on since he's consulted with teams like the Dodgers and Astros. I think the big thing on the pitching side is getting an infrastructure in place to develop velocity. If the Cubs had a high-end velocity development program back when they were drafting tons of pitchability college guys, their volume approach might have actually borne fruit.

He's sort of an obnoxious figure, though. Part of the reason he gets so much pub is because he's very willing to talk to the media and portray himself as an iconoclast. He also agreed to let Luke Heimlich train at Driveline, which is kind of gross. If the Cubs hire him, fine. But I'm not his biggest fan.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I think Driveline has been working on some stuff on the hitting side? That sort of stuff may be ahead of public knowledge. I'm sure he can also catch them up on best practices they might be missing out on since he's consulted with teams like the Dodgers and Astros. I think the big thing on the pitching side is getting an infrastructure in place to develop velocity. If the Cubs had a high-end velocity development program back when they were drafting tons of pitchability college guys, their volume approach might have actually borne fruit.

He's sort of an obnoxious figure, though. Part of the reason he gets so much pub is because he's very willing to talk to the media and portray himself as an iconoclast. He also agreed to let Luke Heimlich train at Driveline, which is kind of gross. If the Cubs hire him, fine. But I'm not his biggest fan.
    Thatís cool. I didnít know driveline starting doing hitting, too.

Iím not opposed to hiring the guy. Hiring smart people is always good and he seems like a smart, successful guy. I just donít know if itíll be anything revolutionary because everyone in the game knows what they are doing at driveline to build velo and spin.

Thatís cool. I didnít know driveline starting doing hitting, too.

Iím not opposed to hiring the guy. Hiring smart people is always good and he seems like a smart, successful guy. I just donít know if itíll be anything revolutionary because everyone in the game knows what they are doing at driveline to build velo and spin.
    Sincere question. How do you know this? How does everyone know what they're doing? What exactly are they teaching them?

If everyone know what to do, why need Driveline or Boddy?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Sincere question. How do you know this? How does everyone know what they're doing? What exactly are they teaching them?

If everyone know what to do, why need Driveline or Boddy?
    Because its on their website and Boddy talks about it all the time, and Bauer talks about it all the time, and thereís videos all over YouTube, and mlb teams have signed a bunch of driveline guys, and colleges send players there, and Boddy consults for teams and interviews with teams. Itís not a secret.

The Cubs are using a lot of the same stuff in the pitch lab to build velo and add spin.

Now, there may be another level to it that they donít currently have or he may have other developmental programs that are less known, but if I can go on YouTube and Twitter and Google and learn about the process at Driveline to build velo then surely MLB teams can get more info than I can.

Any mention of Edwards, did he go to the lab and not work for him or did they surprisingly not send him there

Because its on their website and Boddy talks about it all the time, and Bauer talks about it all the time, and thereís videos all over YouTube, and mlb teams have signed a bunch of driveline guys, and colleges send players there, and Boddy consults for teams and interviews with teams. Itís not a secret.

The Cubs are using a lot of the same stuff in the pitch lab to build velo and add spin.

Now, there may be another level to it that they donít currently have or he may have other developmental programs that are less known, but if I can go on YouTube and Twitter and Google and learn about the process at Driveline to build velo then surely MLB teams can get more info than I can.
    Cool. Thanks

More clarity on the Cubs and Boddy: Brendan Miller was talking about how the Cubs aren't confident in their pitching infrastructure. The issue is apparently a lot of analysts and on-field guys not quite speaking the same "language" of pitching and player development. This is a big reason why they're looking to Boddy, who beyond simply training guys at Driveline has an intimate knowledge of the kind of structuring that needs to take place for a player development program to be successful by virtue of extensive consulting work with these top organizations. It's something he talks about constantly as a separating factor between the Astros and Dodgers and the teams struggling to emulate them.

It's encouraging that the Cubs are looking to remedy this. But that kind of organizational structure is going to require Theo and Jed to get a little cutthroat and replace guys within the org who *don't* "speak the language" (which isn't to say they don't buy in to analytics or tech, just that they aren't really adept at incorporating it to their instruction in an optimal way). I'm guessing we may have already seen some of this with the McLeod move, which would mean that his reassignment was more due to an insufficient PD structure under his watch than I initially believed.

This kind of stuff makes Miller wonder about what the future holds for the front office a few years down the line. Not that they can't adapt, but it's a lot easier to see this kind of organizational restructuring when you have newly empowered execs with fewer ties throughout the organization. I don't know if that's necessarily true. Theo has a lot of equity built up in the baseball community and probably could reorganize as much as he's willing (and he apparently recognizes the need). But yeah. I'm fascinated to see how they go about this.

Interesting and exciting with this...
    Cubs have a solid core group with pitching and hitting in the system, they're just a couple years away..

https://twitter.com/cubprospects/sta...041615881?s=19

https://twitter.com/cubprospects/sta...473251328?s=19