Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 168 1231151101 ... LastLast

Free Agent and Ideas Thread: Spring Training and Early Season Edition

Talk about all of your wacky, wild, hopefully reasonable Chicago Cubs free agent, trades, and what not ideas in this thread. Enjoy!

Kimbrel and Kheucel to the Cubs. Darvish, Heyward, Chatwood dump for Will Smith Cubs 2019 champions

Mike Trout and Kris Bryant join Harper in Philly in a few years. I'm certain of this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Mike Trout and Kris Bryant join Harper in Philly in a few years. I'm certain of this.
    Trout wouldn't surprise me. But I think with Arenado and Harper not on the payroll, the chance of the Cubs re-signing Bryant get that much bigger. If they aren't gonna commit to any of those other guys, there's really no reason not to commit to Bryant.

Our all D no offense outfield pisses me off.

Yeah even assuming Schwarber takes a reasonable step forward offensively this year, the Cubs OF is probably a bottom 10 offensive OF in mlb.

Quote Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post
    Yeah even assuming Schwarber takes a reasonable step forward offensively this year, the Cubs OF is probably a bottom 10 offensive OF in mlb.
    When judging the offense, it doesn't matter where guys stand in the field when the Cubs aren't up to bat.

Need Happ to make solid progress, as well. Canít have Almora getting more than a handful of starts vs RHP and/or Heyward approach 500 plate appearances and have a productive outfield.

I'm all :fingerscrossed: about Happ improving. Almora....ehh, never been a fan, but would be cool with seeing him eventually settle-in as a "not-entirely-a-blackhole-offensively 4th OF type" bench piece. I keep looking at what Almora did as a prospect & am having a disconnect with those who still seem to expect anything out of him offensively.

BS they were middle of mlb last year. We will most likely be in the same spot. Everything else is top 7.

If thatís our biggest weakest Iíll be happy

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Trout wouldn't surprise me. But I think with Arenado and Harper not on the payroll, the chance of the Cubs re-signing Bryant get that much bigger. If they aren't gonna commit to any of those other guys, there's really no reason not to commit to Bryant.
    I don't think either will end up in Philly to be honest. I personally believe both Trout and KB will sign extensions with their current teams.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    BS they were middle of mlb last year. We will most likely be in the same spot. Everything else is top 7.

If thatís our biggest weakest Iíll be happy
    Yep. And IMO the Cubs are in a good spot. I might be in the minority here, but I expect them to have a very good season. I think the negativity is too severe this off season. Sure they did not do much, but they did not have to. I think a healthy Bryant makes the offense much better. I also believe Schwarber will be better. He still has not had that many AB since being drafted. I expect a new level for Kyle. Average above .250 with OBP around .375 and slugging near .500. Basically another middle of the line up bat. I also expect Willson to be the guy he was prior to the ASB last year. So with those things the offense will be solid. I do not expect much more from Almora. I think he is pretty much what we are going to get. Maybe a little more pop, but that is about it. If Russell is on the team this year, I expect him to be better as well. And if he is not, IMO, he will not be on the team in 20'. Baez and Zo will probably regress some. In Javy's case, IMO, he will still put up middle of the line up numbers. But maybe not as good as 18'. So should still be solid, but not like 18'. All I ask from Heyward is the same amount of improvement from 18' to 19' that he had from 17' to 18'. That would make him an average to maybe even a slight plus offensive player. IMO that is a good offense. And, if Happ (who is the wild card, IMO) can improve he has a very high ceiling. He, too, has not really had that many AB. He, to me, is someone who can be a very plus offensive player or be a bust. If there is no improvement, the offense will still be very good. If he becomes an offensive force the offense will be top 1 or 2 in the NL.

As for the staff, you have to be encouraged by what is happening now and what we are hearing. If Darvish is really healthy the rotation has to be better than 18' When Chatwood and Montgomery's starts are now taken by Darvish and Hamels that has to be a plus. If healthy IMO the rotation is the best in the NL, 1 thru 5.

As for the pen, I think it all depends on Morrow. If he can pitch in 50 games this year, the pen will be a top 5 in the NL. They have several capable guys for the middle innings or innings leading to the 9th.

I realize several teams got better. So the Cubs can be better and not win as many games as 18'. I fully understand that. But they can only do what they can to their team. They have no control on what the other teams do. The NL will be very competitive. There are at least 10 teams that will be in contention for the playoffs. But, IMO, none have a better team than the Cubs. And that includes the Dodgers. While they have the easiest path to the playoffs because of their division, I do not feel that team is clearly superior to the Cubs. The Cubs are not the clearly superior team, like they were in 2016, but they are a team that should be considered when determining the best team in the NL.

Any opinions on the rotation now that Lester is the opening day starter?

L,R,L,R,L?

Does he want to try to throw lefties at Milwaukee in games 7,8,9?

I'm going to guess:

Lester
    Yu
    Q
    Kyle
    Cole

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Yep. And IMO the Cubs are in a good spot. I might be in the minority here, but I expect them to have a very good season. I think the negativity is too severe this off season. Sure they did not do much, but they did not have to. I think a healthy Bryant makes the offense much better. I also believe Schwarber will be better. He still has not had that many AB since being drafted. I expect a new level for Kyle. Average above .250 with OBP around .375 and slugging near .500. Basically another middle of the line up bat. I also expect Willson to be the guy he was prior to the ASB last year. So with those things the offense will be solid. I do not expect much more from Almora. I think he is pretty much what we are going to get. Maybe a little more pop, but that is about it. If Russell is on the team this year, I expect him to be better as well. And if he is not, IMO, he will not be on the team in 20'. Baez and Zo will probably regress some. In Javy's case, IMO, he will still put up middle of the line up numbers. But maybe not as good as 18'. So should still be solid, but not like 18'. All I ask from Heyward is the same amount of improvement from 18' to 19' that he had from 17' to 18'. That would make him an average to maybe even a slight plus offensive player. IMO that is a good offense. And, if Happ (who is the wild card, IMO) can improve he has a very high ceiling. He, too, has not really had that many AB. He, to me, is someone who can be a very plus offensive player or be a bust. If there is no improvement, the offense will still be very good. If he becomes an offensive force the offense will be top 1 or 2 in the NL.

As for the staff, you have to be encouraged by what is happening now and what we are hearing. If Darvish is really healthy the rotation has to be better than 18' When Chatwood and Montgomery's starts are now taken by Darvish and Hamels that has to be a plus. If healthy IMO the rotation is the best in the NL, 1 thru 5.

As for the pen, I think it all depends on Morrow. If he can pitch in 50 games this year, the pen will be a top 5 in the NL. They have several capable guys for the middle innings or innings leading to the 9th.

I realize several teams got better. So the Cubs can be better and not win as many games as 18'. I fully understand that. But they can only do what they can to their team. They have no control on what the other teams do. The NL will be very competitive. There are at least 10 teams that will be in contention for the playoffs. But, IMO, none have a better team than the Cubs. And that includes the Dodgers. While they have the easiest path to the playoffs because of their division, I do not feel that team is clearly superior to the Cubs. The Cubs are not the clearly superior team, like they were in 2016, but they are a team that should be considered when determining the best team in the NL.
    The pen scares me but I expect some trades midseason once they realize who is producing this year and who is not. If the pen can tread water until Morrow is back, and then tread water again until the trades come in, we should grow fewer gray hairs in the late innings.

Or they could just not suck in the first place, which would be great. Cishek and Strop, and to a lesser extent Montgomery, are about all I trust in that pen. Hopefully other guys get a chance to show what theyre made of rather than overuse the more proven players.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Any opinions on the rotation now that Lester is the opening day starter?

L,R,L,R,L?

Does he want to try to throw lefties at Milwaukee in games 7,8,9?

I'm going to guess:

Lester
    Yu
    Q
    Kyle
    Cole
    Iíll throw out a guess

Lester
    Kyle
    Hamels
    Yu
    Q