Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Yes but more offense is not going to speed up games. It will lengthen them
    True, but if they are replacing pitching changes with balls in play and action on the field, thatís probably a good thing for the final product.

Iíd rather they explore moving the mound back instead of these rules that feel artificial, but i am very much in favor of less dead time and more action.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It says they need to be designated prior to the season and they cannot switch during the season or postseason. So if future Ohtani is designated as a hitter, he can only pitch in extra innings or blowouts and if he gets to 20 IP he could be designated as a pitcher or hitter the following year. If heís designated as a pitcher right away he can pitch anytime, but he counts against the limited number of pitchers.
    Looks like the rule is written so you can't switch a guy's designation from pitcher to hitter (or visa versa) midseason.

The two-way player tag, you can qualify for during the season once you hit 20 IP and 20 starts.

Yes but more offense is not going to speed up games. It will lengthen them
    Length isn't the problem, pace is.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Looks like the rule is written so you can't switch a guy's designation from pitcher to hitter (or visa versa) midseason.

The two-way player tag, you can qualify for during the season once you hit 20 IP and 20 starts.
    That makes sense. Thatís not so bad.

I've been saying that since the topic was brought up a couple of years ago.

This is in response to somebody who mentioned the length of the game.

Honestly, I have never heard one single fan complain about the length of games. As far as I'm concerned, the longer the better!

I think they need to eliminate unnecessary stoppages of play. It's a slow paced game as it is

*Call a ball if the pitcher doesn't deliver the ball within :12 when bases are empty. It's the rule.

*Call a strike if the batter steps out of the box without falling it off. It's the rule.

*Limit each team to 5 timeouts. How they want to use them is up to them.

The game would be much more enjoyable to watch.

There's nothing more frustrating than watching a pitcher stare at a catcher's mitt for 15 seconds and then the catcher or hitter calls a timeout. Or the pitcher steps off the rubber. Then they repeat the same crap. Pitch the ball or get panelized. It's that simple. Stay in the batter's box or get panelized

I've been saying that since the topic was brought up a couple of years ago.

This is in response to somebody who mentioned the length of the game.

Honestly, I have never heard one single fan complain about the length of games. As far as I'm concerned, the longer the better!

I think they need to eliminate unnecessary stoppages of play. It's a slow paced game as it is

*Call a ball if the pitcher doesn't deliver the ball within :12 when bases are empty. It's the rule.

*Call a strike if the batter steps out of the box without falling it off. It's the rule.

*Limit each team to 5 timeouts. How they want to use them is up to them.

The game would be much more enjoyable to watch.

There's nothing more frustrating than watching a pitcher stare at a catcher's mitt for 15 seconds and then the catcher or hitter calls a timeout. Or the pitcher steps off the rubber. Then they repeat the same crap. Pitch the ball or get panelized. It's that simple. Stay in the batter's box or get panelized
    What baseball needs to come up with is a way to incentivize the pitcher to deliver pitches faster, not to avoid a penalty, but because there's a strategic advantage to it. Kind of like when a football team gets to the line and snaps the ball as quickly as possible to keep the defense off balance and unable to substitute fresh players. Or when a basketball team races down the court in transition before the defense can get back and set up.

What if after every pitch, the batter has to run a quick lap around the catcher and the HP umpire, and the pitcher can pitch as soon as he gets the ball back from the catcher. You can imagine how that would make pitchers get right into their delivery for the next pitch as quickly as possible, before the batter can get set up again. There'd be an advantage to be gained in that circumstance by playing fast, right?

Now obviously that's not a real proposal, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying -- generate the motivation to deliver pitches more quickly because it helps get guys out. Solve the pace problem organically, not with pitch clocks and penalties.

Now to come up with a way to create that strategic advantage without it being totally goofball.

Not sure how many people just ignore the fantasy baseball thread bc they assume it's already full. So just for the sake of due dilligence. I don't have an updated headcount (pretty sure we need 2 or 3) and I'm too lazy to do one. But if you're interested in playing fantasy baseball, go there and say as much.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

I'm not so sure that length isn't a problem. I'd say it's not as much of a problem as pace, but still remains a tertiary issue. The length of the game has increased pretty heavily over the course of the last 30-40 years. I think it's more of a combined thing; with the "three outcome" game we have today, it feels like there's less occurring, but a baseball game is also a bit longer than almost any other sport. The Flyers hockey game tonight finished in 2.5 hours. College basketball is around 2 or so hours. Baseball averages over 3 hours, which is up 30 minutes from where it was at the start of the 80s. Some of that is increased ad time. Other is just players dicking around more. 3 hours, for 162 games a year is a heavy investment. As a baseball fan, it's not an issue to me, but for people who are more casual, or younger, a 3 hour commitment that often is significant.

I'd say pace is the more pressing concern by a decent amount, but I think there can be some help on the length, too. It'd help make the pace feel better, too.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 03-14-2019 at 09:47 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

I hope everyone is well and the Cubs are looking good in spring training. Iíve only started thinking straight the last few days. Last week I thought my Dog was going to die. We took him to the vet as he collapsed but we thought it was the extreme heat we were having but there we were told his red blood counts were right down to a dangerous 17 (normal is 37-55). We were given medication for him that he vomited up so we needed to take him to the animal hospital so he can go on a drip and they would be given to him through the drip. He was there for 3 days, they ran all these tests which revealed he has anemia. They took bone marrow which was to look for cancer which is scary for a 9 year old dog (that would either mean chemo or putting him to sleep and as a family we discussed the second option if it was cancer). That revealed no cancer (thank God!) but he was still gravely ill. They told us we can bring him home and give him a course of steroids (tablets, not liquid which he vomited).

The first 4-5 days, no real improvement, he had his first check up post coming home on Friday last week, a couple days after he came home from the hospital, and his counts were at 20. A whole week has now gone by, he is more active and more himself, and todayís vet visit showed his counts at 25 and his gums are more a pink colour which is normal (they were pale/white for over a week which is a good tip to check the colour of your dogs gums). He will show gradual improvements over the next few weeks and when his counts reach 30, we can start to reduce the steroids he is taking. He has lost a little bit or weight (8.8KG to 8.3KG in the last week), which might be for the best lol.

For the next few months Iíd love to get to a point where the Cubs winning or losing is the most stressful part of my day.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    I hope everyone is well and the Cubs are looking good in spring training. Iíve only started thinking straight the last few days. Last week I thought my Dog was going to die. We took him to the vet as he collapsed but we thought it was the extreme heat we were having but there we were told his red blood counts were right down to a dangerous 17 (normal is 37-55). We were given medication for him that he vomited up so we needed to take him to the animal hospital so he can go on a drip and they would be given to him through the drip. He was there for 3 days, they ran all these tests which revealed he has anemia. They took bone marrow which was to look for cancer which is scary for a 9 year old dog (that would either mean chemo or putting him to sleep and as a family we discussed the second option if it was cancer). That revealed no cancer (thank God!) but he was still gravely ill. They told us we can bring him home and give him a course of steroids (tablets, not liquid which he vomited).

The first 4-5 days, no real improvement, he had his first check up post coming home on Friday last week, a couple days after he came home from the hospital, and his counts were at 20. A whole week has now gone by, he is more active and more himself, and todayís vet visit showed his counts at 25 and his gums are more a pink colour which is normal (they were pale/white for over a week which is a good tip to check the colour of your dogs gums). He will show gradual improvements over the next few weeks and when his counts reach 30, we can start to reduce the steroids he is taking. He has lost a little bit or weight (8.8KG to 8.3KG in the last week), which might be for the best lol.

For the next few months Iíd love to get to a point where the Cubs winning or losing is the most stressful part of my day.
    Sounds like a rough week. Glad the dog is doing better. Go Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Sounds like a rough week. Glad the dog is doing better. Go Cubs.
    Very tough time but he is much better which has been great to witness first hand. It all cost a bundle but he is worth every last cent.

Go Cubs!

I know this is random but this organization is blessed to have Wilson Contreras. Heís going to have a monster year

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post

Hope the little fella is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Hope the little fella is doing well.
    Yeah, he has been doing much better the last few days. He has begun to be more active, moving around more and just in general getting back to his normal self. Considering how it was not long ago with his energy levels shot to pieces, he has made huge strides in his recovery. I will update you guys on his progress if I can remember, when he gets his blood test done (every Friday).

Iíve been curious about spring training though and in particular Addison Russell. How has he been received so far. I read a tweet that said on his first AB the ground was complete silence. No cheering or booing, just silence. Has it been like that for him throughout or have the fans started warming up to him?

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast