Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JR and management

Current thoughts on Reinsdorf and upper management?

I’m 58 years old, and have been a White Sox fan as long as I can remember. Personally I think JR gets to close to the players and management, he runs the team with his heart and not a business with the idea to win! KW should have been gone 2 years after the WS win in 2005. The sooner he stops trying to be everyone’s friend and concentrates on winning, the better!
    "She's kinda cute, in a Santa Claus kinda way!"

I defended JR up until this year. The Machado fiasco did it for me. Kenny Williams, thanks for 2005, now leave.
    Shame on Rick Hahn if he knew the truth and lied to us about it. Maybe he got played, maybe not. I'm 50-50 with him now. Please just sell the team to someone who will do what it takes to win.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I am disappointed with the failure to sign Macho or Harpo but I am not as miserable as some other fans. I predicted the sort of disappointment we are seeing and I just knew that KW would be the scapegoat, perhaps in some measure because he is black.

Oh well, time to move on. It is possible that Harper and Machado never play on a World Series championship team and that injuries and age combine to make the back half of their extended contracts pretty ugly.

Sox are probably not going to be a World Series team for a long time, perhaps not again in my lifetime. so I reduce expectations and just watch for the enjoyment of the game.

We weren’t supposed to start signing big free agents anyways. Next year has been the goal since we started the rebuild. When Kopech went down that was never more clear. 2019 is another development year. Until more then 2 of our highly touted specs are called up, what the hell did everyone expect. Moncada and Tim Anderson are the only ones up. Until Madrigal, Kopech, Cease, Eloy and Robert, we shouldn’t even be thinking about signing big FAs. Why would Machado or Harper want to play here at this point?

For me it’s not so much what I expected this year or going to expect next, it’s been the last 20 years! My disappointment has come from the lack of expanding after the 2005 season. I also have little faith that the team will get to that point in the future or stay pat if they achieve being competitive! The track record in my mind speaks for itself! I understand teams have high points and low points not sure this one has had much movement since 2005. I’ve stopped going to watch them, unlike the north side if you don’t put a winning team on the field I’m not going to support them!
    Last edited by ChiSox; 03-01-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    "She's kinda cute, in a Santa Claus kinda way!"

In the last 14 years the Sox won a World Series. There are 30 teams so how often do you expect the Sox to win, especially considering how much money some teams are willing to spend/throw away to increase their chances of winning?

330 Million for Harper who will probably box out like Pujols after he hits 30 years old may have been the wrong move to make. All it takes is an injury or the loss of a bit of bat speed and quickness with age, and a great player like Harper can become average or less. That 13 year deal was guaranteed with no opt outs. Crazy, IMO.

My concerns are based more on the track record. Yes we won it all in 2005. However when you look back, we didn’t make the post season for 4 seasons prior and another 3 seasons after, making 2005 seem a little more like an anomaly, where all the stars aligned for us.

Also only 5 post season appearances in 38 years (Reinsdorf’s tenure) while playing in a small to mid market division is really sub par.

I mean we paid to get Robert. That was a move that made sense. We aren’t ready. In other news Robert a HR and Triple today!!!

I think it is the Sox’ MO to finish 2nd in all these high profile cases. I think it was their plan all along to come close but not sign, just to dupe their fan base. That is why we had everyone in the front office yapping in the media about how disappointed they were. All for show. You don’t see other teams putting on the circus show when they miss out. They accomplished what they wanted all along. Get in the news all off-season, excite your fan base, make it look like you are trying, and when all is said and done, they spent no money.
    They did the same in 2007, when they were supposedly close to trading for Cabrera, media had them on the verge of a deal, only to lose out at the last minute to the Tigers and then get Andrew Jones instead.
    And BTW, they actuallly didn’t get Jones until 2 years later, when he was 2 years older and More “their price”.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 03-02-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    I am disappointed with the failure to sign Macho or Harpo but I am not as miserable as some other fans. I predicted the sort of disappointment we are seeing and I just knew that KW would be the scapegoat, perhaps in some measure because he is black.

Oh well, time to move on. It is possible that Harper and Machado never play on a World Series championship team and that injuries and age combine to make the back half of their extended contracts pretty ugly.

Sox are probably not going to be a World Series team for a long time, perhaps not again in my lifetime. so I reduce expectations and just watch for the enjoyment of the game.

Wow seriously!?!?! I have a more profound idea, maybe it’s because he’s a frackin’ terrible arse executive. In 12 years as GM only 1 draftee made a name for himself (Chris Sale). In 2009, he took outfielder Jared Mitchell (who washed out) over Mike “Freaking” Trout!!!!! Not to mention the numerous other mistakes in trades. Then there is his drama filled life. Him and Frank Thomas, Ozzie Guillen, and an incident I will not mention by name.

Reinsdorf needs of be replaced because he is way too loyal to the wrong people. Look at the Bulls what a laughing stock. Williams needs to go. Hahn is only capable of doing what he is allowed to do. The White Sox should never have been after Machado, he has skill yes, but his attitude will have caused many clashes with fans and management. We should be thankful to the Padres for saving our arses.

Should have we been after Harper, I don’t know. But I feel confident in the moves Hahn made with Jimenez, Robert and Rutherford in our future outfield. Everyone makes a big deal of Jimenez and Robert but the one to watch out for IMHO is Rutherford. He has been outstanding at every level he’s played at. Solid hitter, knows his strike zone, and while power marks are a bit low his rbi to hr ratio is phenomenal. We have Madrigal who is probably going to be called up this year if he continues to hit the way he does.

If we need a Star like Haper, then we should trade for one. I’m okay with trading Moncada, Anderson, or Rodon to get a player who would be the all around player to take us over the top and only for one of those.

Forget any ideas of getting Trout, he’ll resign with the Angels, as foolish as that would be. He’ll never see a WS with them. Bogaerts might be someone I take a shot at. He would be an instant upgrade over Anderson. Betts? Might be available but he’ll want more then Harper but not as much as Trout. Pitching is something I would definitely go for. Sale is to coming back, but there are plenty of other rotation leaders to be had.

In order for this all to happen we need a stroke of luck or new ownership. I suspect a new owner will want a new stadium too. A move out of the city to the burbs would be a good move too.

Hey it is unfortunate but the reality is that race, in some measure, comes into play with peoples attitudes toward others, especially true with the older generation. It is what it is and I will leave it at that.

Now, as far as Hahn you singularly give him credit ("I feel confident in the moves Hahn made with Jimenez, Robert and Rutherford") while slamming KW for numerous mistakes with trades.
    I don't get why.
    Per Wikipedia Hahn page:
    "Rick Hahn is the vice president and general manager of the Chicago White Sox. Since his promotion before the 2013 season, his teams have a 419–553 record and no postseason appearances."

Since 2012, KW has been more of a go between for management and ownership. Hahn goes through kW to make sure he is on the same page as ownership on any major player personnel or management move.

With Machado and Harper, the Sox never had a chance. Machado wanted to play in SD and Harper got a ridiculous deal that I am glad the Sox are not burdened with So I'm not particularly angry with Hahn or KW or with ownership right now. I just hope they run into some better luck than they have had for the past few years. They will need it.

GP seriously, I think, at least I hope that we all realize that there are issues in this country pertaining to race. I also understand that we can no longer have polite dialogue about politics, and probably religion.
    Can we PLEASE leave all the hatred out of sports? It has no place (IMO) in the games and definitely not in this forum. If you want to debate that I believe there is a thread somewhere for that.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast