Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687
Results 1,291 to 1,304 of 1304
    If you're going to compare this to an outside job, you to have to then consider the absurdity of the franchise tag.

That is essentially inhumane lol. Draft would be as well.

It's very difficult to compare the NFL to an outside job.

(Although I'm kinda in the boat that the draft shouldn't exist, players should be free agents. Great players would end up in smaller markets due to money/nostalgia/great pitch /etc)

But that's not my point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

No draft? **** that lol

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    If you're going to compare this to an outside job, you to have to then consider the absurdity of the franchise tag.

(Although I'm kinda in the boat that the draft shouldn't exist, players should be free agents. Great players would end up in smaller markets due to money/nostalgia/great pitch /etc)

But that's not my point

I'm not a huge fan of the franchise tag either, but anything where you're paying a guy in the top 5 for his position (multiples of millions) to play a sport, it's not inhumane. Player also doesn't have to sign it even. He can go work at target or not even work at all if he wants. It's just one of the rules and a part of being in the league.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

With what has been happening lately with players regarding the franchise tag I would think they will push hard in the next negotiations to get it revised if not completely eliminated. The last agreement seemed to come in a bit of a rush to avoid work stoppage and it seems the players are unhappy about some things. I would expect the players to be a bit more firm with negotiations for the next agreement and would not be surprised if there is a stoppage.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the franchise tag either, but anything where you're paying a guy in the top 5 for his position (multiples of millions) to play a sport, it's not inhumane. Player also doesn't have to sign it even. He can go work at target or not even work at all if he wants. It's just one of the rules and a part of being in the league.
    Sometimes it's not about the money when it comes to the tag, it's about the players having the right to decide where HE wants to play, instead of the organization. the franchise tag, imo, is essentially a leash.

IMO, there should be no revising the Franchise Tag, it needs to go altogether.

With that said, who in their right mind would franchise tag a mid-30 yr old kicker? I understand Gould has been really good but come on....

Maybe Lynch is still salty that Thomas and Foster never worked out for the 49ers and the Bears have a budding star in Trubisky. Maybe he is still salty that the Bears got Mack instead of the 49ers.

With that said, I think something might get done before the end of the weekend.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Sometimes it's not about the money when it comes to the tag, it's about the players having the right to decide where HE wants to play, instead of the organization. the franchise tag, imo, is essentially a leash.

IMO, there should be no revising the Franchise Tag, it needs to go altogether.

With that said, who in their right mind would franchise tag a mid-30 yr old kicker? I understand Gould has been really good but come on....

Maybe Lynch is still salty that Thomas and Foster never worked out for the 49ers and the Bears have a budding star in Trubisky. Maybe he is still salty that the Bears got Mack instead of the 49ers.

With that said, I think something might get done before the end of the weekend.
    This is kind of my thought process regarding the tag. I donít think Lynch used the tag on Gould because he is angry with the Bears. The 49ers had 72 mil in cap space entering the offseason and Gould was one of the best kickers in the league the last 2 years. 5 mil for Gould is a drop in the bucket for them with the space they have.

In Gouldís case the tag is terrible for him. His family is in Chicago, loves it there. He wants to be with his family. He wants to go back to the team he has all time records with. His career is winding down, he is 36 and a 14 year veteran. He completed the contract, its terrible he doesnít have the opportunity to be where he wants to be with his family. And its not just because I want him with us, if he was with us now amd wanted to go somewhere else and the Bears franchise tagged him I would say the same thing. What might eventually happen is he speaks with Lynch and convinces him to let him be with his family. Its a different situation the Bell last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    This is kind of my thought process regarding the tag. I donít think Lynch used the tag on Gould because he is angry with the Bears. The 49ers had 72 mil in cap space entering the offseason and Gould was one of the best kickers in the league the last 2 years. 5 mil for Gould is a drop in the bucket for them with the space they have.

In Gouldís case the tag is terrible for him. His family is in Chicago, loves it there. He wants to be with his family. He wants to go back to the team he has all time records with. His career is winding down, he is 36 and a 14 year veteran. He completed the contract, its terrible he doesnít have the opportunity to be where he wants to be with his family. And its not just because I want him with us, if he was with us now amd wanted to go somewhere else and the Bears franchise tagged him I would say the same thing. What might eventually happen is he speaks with Lynch and convinces him to let him be with his family. Its a different situation the Bell last season.
    The point is, when you play in the NFL and sign with the franchise, part of that tradeoff is God forbid a team might franchise tag you. Players know about the tag and choose to play. I think of it as the same thing as a player/team option. The only difference is it's just apart of the system. Robbie Gould has been in the NFL for 13 years. He's a millionaire if he's not an idiot. He didn't need to sign with the 49ers initially and he doesn't need to play football this year if being that close to his family is so important to him.

Apart of me feels like he really wants to be back in Chicago and this is him doing everything he can to try and make it happen. Would obviously welcome it if I'm Ryan Pace.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; Yesterday at 08:20 PM.

2016 PSD Cubs IGT record: 16-3 #AuthenticatesWithmyIGTs

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post

But that's not my point

Exactly. Its not fair to compare it. The draft would be an outragous concept in a real world environment. Its all done for competitive ballance though. Like. Said even though these players are paid by teams the fact is they work for the NFL. They agreed to this as players. You make ever player have free Will everyone signs with NY Chicago LA Miami and big name teams. The idea player have the ability to have all this choice isn't exactly conductive to a sports invironment.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

I just dont like what i have been seeing with teams like the steelers and SF in this case using it to avoid paying long term. To me the tag is supposed to be to retain a guy and work out a deal. Or potentially trade him if you cant. But its clear the 49ers dont want to pay Robbie long term. And the Steelers in the same way with Bell.

That why to me if you increase the length. It changes teams outlook. Also getting paid as a top 5 player guarinteed for 2 to 3 years surely feel more safe for players then playing on 1 year deals (see earl Thomas)

-Rem Koolhaas

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    I donít agree with it being stupid comparing it to an outside job, but hey thatís your opinion and you are entitled to it just like I am to mine. And just because the players agreed to it doesnít mean they are happy about it and wonít fight to change it. They will compare it to other sports, and the franchise tag does not exist elsewhere and limits a players freedom of choice. But hey, whatever. Its here and it is what it is. You agree with it, I do not.
    It is stupid. Because in the real world there is no overhanging salary cap put on offices. There is no draft to make sure the worst run companies get the highest rated college students. All these things which are crutial to power ballance. You want to talk about how players have no free choice. Like somebody brought up the draft is thr bigest limiting factor in somebodys decision making of their life. It choses the team they play for. Where they live. How much or little they are paid.

If you want to compare it to the real world. The person lookong for the job would obly accept on in the region he wants to be in. (Say NFC North) and whichever one pays best or gives the best oportunity to improve oneself.

But you cant give this freedom. Becaus3 it elliminates competitive balance. And as far as your age idea. Doenst it seem odd the good vets in the nba all sign with the 3-4 top good teams. It hurts competitive ballance if you let people just go wherever. Its not the real world though. Because like i stated there is ni competitice ballance in the real world.

-Rem Koolhaas

The point is, when you play in the NFL and sign with the franchise, part of that tradeoff is God forbid a team might franchise tag you. Players know about the tag and choose to play. I think of it as the same thing as a player/team option. The only difference is it's just apart of the system. Robbie Gould has been in the NFL for 13 years. He's a millionaire if he's not an idiot. He didn't need to sign with the 49ers initially and he doesn't need to play football this year if being that close to his family is so important to him.

Apart of me feels like he really wants to be back in Chicago and this is him doing everything he can to try and make it happen. Would obviously welcome it if I'm Ryan Pace.
    I get the tag rule, it doesnít mean I have to agree with its fairness and I am sure many of the players think it sucks too. Thatís my point, whatever.

Looks like most people are understanding my point (yourself included) but I have to say inhumane wasn't the perfect word to use lol

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687