Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I think of most skills as being learned things. Thatís why you hear people talk about the acquiring skills or developing their skills. Avoiding a concussion that happens during a baseball play, I donít believe is a skill.
    Well of course you can learn new skills but mostly your just learning the mechanics. I can learn to hit and pitch and so can you but to do them at the major league level requires a range of inherent skills. Hand eye coordination, pitch recognition ...etc.

Kevin Pillar's kamikaze approach to defense and almost never gets injured. Why? Devon Travis hurts himself stepping the wrong way and misses 3 months. Why?

I've been around elite athletes for many years, my opinion on this will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Well of course you can learn new skills but mostly your just learning the mechanics. I can learn to hit and pitch and so can you but to do them at the major league level requires a range of inherent skills. Hand eye coordination, pitch recognition ...etc.

Kevin Pillar's kamikaze approach to defense and almost never gets injured. Why? Devon Travis hurts himself stepping the wrong way and misses 3 months. Why?

I've been around elite athletes for many years, my opinion on this will never change.
    Sure. But youíre wrong about avoiding injuries. Not a skill. Roy Halladay should have been more skilled at preventing a line drive from breaking his leg. See how silly that sounds.

Some people are definitely injury prone.

Sure. But youíre wrong about avoiding injuries. Not a skill. Roy Halladay should have been more skilled at preventing a line drive from breaking his leg. See how silly that sounds.
    Trout has .083 BA in the postseason. He must not be good. See how silly that sounds

Bo Bichette went 1 for 1 with a 2B and a BB in yesterdays 1-1 tie with the Yankees. In his first major league camp the kid is hitting .406/.457/.844 with 4 HR in 32 AB's.

Alford was 0 for 1 with a BB and is now slashing .296/.387/.778 with 4 HR's.

Tellez went 0 for 1. He leads the team in AB's with 38 and is slashing .316/.350/.579 with 3 HR's.

The return from the Happ trade so far this spring:

Drury- .345/.406/.621 with 2 2B and 2 HR
    McKinney- .276/.400/.517 with a 2B and 2 HR

Then there is the return from trading Liriano away the year before:

Hernandez- .481/.548/.519

His approach looks great this year. It will be interesting to see if he can carry this into the regular season.

Trout has .083 BA in the postseason. He must not be good. See how silly that sounds
    Lol, gotta love when you lose an argument so you pull the strawman.

Lol, gotta love when you lose an argument so you pull the strawman.
    Calling the kettle...

go up and read the posts you dismissed my Pillar / Travis analogy and quickly turned to a Hall of Famer breaking his leg.

Explain Pillar / Travis
    Last edited by hanton; 03-15-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Bo Bichette went 1 for 1 with a 2B and a BB in yesterdays 1-1 tie with the Yankees. In his first major league camp the kid is hitting .406/.457/.844 with 4 HR in 32 AB's.

Alford was 0 for 1 with a BB and is now slashing .296/.387/.778 with 4 HR's.

Tellez went 0 for 1. He leads the team in AB's with 38 and is slashing .316/.350/.579 with 3 HR's.

The return from the Happ trade so far this spring:

Drury- .345/.406/.621 with 2 2B and 2 HR
    McKinney- .276/.400/.517 with a 2B and 2 HR

Then there is the return from trading Liriano away the year before:

Hernandez- .481/.548/.519

His approach looks great this year. It will be interesting to see if he can carry this into the regular season.
    Some of these OBP number are off the charts, obviously not sustainable.

Calling the kettle...

go up and read the posts you dismissed my Pillar / Travis analogy and quickly turned to a Hall of Famer breaking his leg.

Explain Pillar / Travis
    Well, not really. I was pointing out an injury that happened that no skill would have allowed him to avoid. You brought up something completely unrelated that nobody ever said, while implying that I said something along those lines.

I have been thinking about it though and to an extent I do agree. There is a way to learn how to dive and land properly to lessen the risk of injury. Also proper conditioning and staying in shape will help prevent injuries. So there is some skill to preventing and avoiding certain injuries. You've identified a good one with Pillar generally being able to avoid the injuries when diving all over the place. Whereas Brett Lawrie for example, played a similarly reckless style and got hurt all the time.

With Travis, having his knee lock up while he's sitting on the plane? I really doubt there is any skill to avoiding an injury like that, that's bad luck and/or bad genetics.

Our original discussion revolved around Pompey. His biggest issue has been due to the major concussion he received. In this situation, I don't think that any particular skill would have helped him avoid that injury.

Does anyone else like the way things are shaping up this year and think the Jays could surprise some people? Maybe it's just spring time optimism, but I really don't think they'll be that bad of a team this year.

Does anyone else like the way things are shaping up this year and think the Jays could surprise some people? Maybe it's just spring time optimism, but I really don't think they'll be that bad of a team this year.
    I think they're a .500 team if everything pans out.

If everything breaks right sure they could win 90 games. That means stro and Sanchez pitch as a legit 1-2, borucki has a season like beurhle or Estrada, bucholz pitches like bucholz of last year with more innings, and the Jays have a reliable #5 starter. Also Tepara, norris, Giles become the new nasty boys.

Alford or someone else becomes a legit OF and crushes the leadoff spot and Montoyas staff gets this team to take some walks.

It could happen, but that's a lot of things that'll have to go right for the Jays. I think a game or two above .500 should be reasonable though.

Sorry for all the spelling errors.

Michael Taylor is set to miss significant time for the Nats. They don't really have a true CF'er now. Maybe now would be the time to offer up Pillar?

Well, not really. I was pointing out an injury that happened that no skill would have allowed him to avoid. You brought up something completely unrelated that nobody ever said, while implying that I said something along those lines.

I have been thinking about it though and to an extent I do agree. There is a way to learn how to dive and land properly to lessen the risk of injury. Also proper conditioning and staying in shape will help prevent injuries. So there is some skill to preventing and avoiding certain injuries. You've identified a good one with Pillar generally being able to avoid the injuries when diving all over the place. Whereas Brett Lawrie for example, played a similarly reckless style and got hurt all the time.

With Travis, having his knee lock up while he's sitting on the plane? I really doubt there is any skill to avoiding an injury like that, that's bad luck and/or bad genetics.

Our original discussion revolved around Pompey. His biggest issue has been due to the major concussion he received. In this situation, I don't think that any particular skill would have helped him avoid that injury.
    Yea I should have probably worded it differently I mean obviously it's not a skill in the same sense as a hit or arm tool but I do believe it's along those lines. Don't totally dismiss it as such. Think of it more as an inherent ability to stay healthy similar to (but obviously not exactly the same) as having a good eye at the pate.

Pompey IMO is injury prone or prone to being injured alot, can't stay on the field.

Today's game vs the Yankees is on TV.

Jays (SS) Pannone going up against MLB roster NYY Happ

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Michael Taylor is set to miss significant time for the Nats. They don't really have a true CF'er now. Maybe now would be the time to offer up Pillar?
    They have Victor Robles. I like the idea but I don't think Washington would be interested. A team like Cincy could be interested though. I'd also like to see something like Pillar to Colorado well taking back a bad contract like Desmond, I'd think that would be worth a decent arm or two.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast