Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 143 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2360

Thread: Ilhan Omar

  1. #2131
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,807
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    So this crazy idea has a name. It’s called giving a **** about other people. Maybe that’s a little too Christ-like for your taste.
    No one works for free
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

  2. #2132
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't think anyone is against the idea that they should change regardless of how outsiders view the free food. If someone is starving they shouldn't be told not to eat something because it won't be healthy if they haven't eaten in a couple days.

    The question is should they change by giving them the cheapest crap food they can or trying to get healthier food even if it costs a little more?
    Again, the govt shouldn’t concern itself with subjective problems and it certainly shouldn’t attempt to supply subjective answers to problems. Costing a “little bit more” for “healthier” is a subjective answer to an objective problem- kid possibly starving at school.

  3. #2133
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    Again, the govt shouldn’t concern itself with subjective problems and it certainly shouldn’t attempt to supply subjective answers to problems. Costing a “little bit more” for “healthier” is a subjective answer to an objective problem- kid possibly starving at school.
    What do you mean? Government is all over tons and tons of subjective problems lol. Many many political topics do not have a clear objective answer there is most often nuance.

    Even so, objectively the healthy food is better for the kids/society long term as others have pointed to. You are ignoring this objective answer to push your own objective answer. Both have validity you are just choosing to ignore one aspect because you believe in another mattering more apparently.

    This is actually a major problem in politics is finding an obvious problem then trying to fix it in the cheapest way possible, ignoring the long term impacts or effect on actual people. There is objectivity on both sides of this debate you are simply ignoring part of the objectivity because it costs more.

  4. #2134
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    47,582
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    It's a lie though. Fresh produce is typically twice the cost of frozen produce and it has gone through the measures you stated.

    Just looked at Walmart for ***** and grins. Fresh produce is almost twice the cost of the frozen variety per ounce. Fresh produce costs a lot more than the frozen variety.
    It does and yet frozen is just as good and depending on length of transport frozen has a higher nutritional content.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #2135
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,615
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    What are y’all actually debating?
    A congresswoman suggested feeding hungry Americans, the republicans fiercly oppose this since the congresswoman is a democrat.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #2136
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    90,404
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    #Empathy2020
    But how does that throw money into my corporate overlord’s pockets? I need them to profit at my own expense.

  7. #2137
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,743
    Some of this stuff is pathetically funny.

    Anyone who wonders why things don't get done in this country only needs to read the last 6-7 pages of this thread.

    About a dozen or so posters who are "experts on everything" posting on some insignificant anonymous internet chat room giving all sorts of ideas about how to feed hungry kids.

    Free food/not free food
    deserve/underserved
    frozen/fresh
    healthy/unhealthy
    govt responsibility/govt responsibility/

    Now consider all this and apply it to what it would take to get a law passed by 340+ Reps, 100 Sens and a partisan president.

    This is why things do not get done and if they do get done they are not done so in the most effective, most beneficial or least wasteful way possible.

  8. #2138
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    47,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Some of this stuff is pathetically funny.

    Anyone who wonders why things don't get done in this country only needs to read the last 6-7 pages of this thread.

    About a dozen or so posters who are "experts on everything" posting on some insignificant anonymous internet chat room giving all sorts of ideas about how to feed hungry kids.

    Free food/not free food
    deserve/underserved
    frozen/fresh
    healthy/unhealthy
    govt responsibility/govt responsibility/

    Now consider all this and apply it to what it would take to get a law passed by 340+ Reps, 100 Sens and a partisan president.

    This is why things do not get done and if they do get done they are not done so in the most effective, most beneficial or least wasteful way possible.
    So.....that’s a no to WWJD. Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #2139
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    What do you mean? Government is all over tons and tons of subjective problems lol. Many many political topics do not have a clear objective answer there is most often nuance.

    Even so, objectively the healthy food is better for the kids/society long term as others have pointed to. You are ignoring this objective answer to push your own objective answer. Both have validity you are just choosing to ignore one aspect because you believe in another mattering more apparently.

    This is actually a major problem in politics is finding an obvious problem then trying to fix it in the cheapest way possible, ignoring the long term impacts or effect on actual people. There is objectivity on both sides of this debate you are simply ignoring part of the objectivity because it costs more.
    So again, if you are going to apply the subject standard that “healthy food is better in the long term” at what measure do you apply this in terms of poor people? Are we going to stop poor people from using govt supplied food stamps on unhealthy foods? Are we going to stop poor people from buying alcohol and cigarettes as well because those have long term negative effects on society...

  10. #2140
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    41,854
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    So again, if you are going to apply the subject standard that “healthy food is better in the long term” at what measure do you apply this in terms of poor people? Are we going to stop poor people from using govt supplied food stamps on unhealthy foods? Are we going to stop poor people from buying alcohol and cigarettes as well because those have long term negative effects on society...
    No bc they use food stamps as a substitute for money. When you eat a school weather you pay for it or not you get what is served.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #2141
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    So again, if you are going to apply the subject standard that “healthy food is better in the long term” at what measure do you apply this in terms of poor people? Are we going to stop poor people from using govt supplied food stamps on unhealthy foods? Are we going to stop poor people from buying alcohol and cigarettes as well because those have long term negative effects on society...
    First of all there is a difference between adults making their own decisions and kids and there is also a difference between being given a substitute for $ to buy your own food and being given either crap or healthy food based on the school.

    I would be alright if some kids ate mcdonalds everyday for lunch if there was also a healthy option though and it was just their/parents choice. I am saying there should also be healthy choices not we need to force healthy foods on people at all costs.

  12. #2142
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    28,615
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    First of all there is a difference between adults making their own decisions and kids and there is also a difference between being given a substitute for $ to buy your own food and being given either crap or healthy food based on the school.

    I would be alright if some kids ate mcdonalds everyday for lunch if there was also a healthy option though and it was just their/parents choice. I am saying there should also be healthy choices not we need to force healthy foods on people at all costs.
    That's a reasonable approach
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  13. #2143
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    No bc they use food stamps as a substitute for money. When you eat a school weather you pay for it or not you get what is served.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed...

  14. #2144
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    First of all there is a difference between adults making their own decisions and kids and there is also a difference between being given a substitute for $ to buy your own food and being given either crap or healthy food based on the school.

    I would be alright if some kids ate mcdonalds everyday for lunch if there was also a healthy option though and it was just their/parents choice. I am saying there should also be healthy choices not we need to force healthy foods on people at all costs.
    No one is forcing foods. This would be the option if children are not being fed at home. In that instance, the parents don’t get a choice on healthy vs non healthy, especially given the costs. Any food is healthier than no food. That’s a given and if it’s a free option, it’s a good one.

  15. #2145
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,672
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    No one is forcing foods. This would be the option if children are not being fed at home. In that instance, the parents don’t get a choice on healthy vs non healthy, especially given the costs. Any food is healthier than no food. That’s a given and if it’s a free option, it’s a good one.
    Yes so as I said the key is you are just focusing on the cost, others are focusing on the health aspect and what is best for the kids. I agree you can't go overboard but a healthy option for food shouldn't be drastic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •