Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 139 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 2360

Thread: Ilhan Omar

Iím all for free lunches/breakfast for children in school. Nourishment, safety, clothing and housing are part of any education pillars. However, I feel like thereís a better way than to have it part of some govt program. Schools could have ďsponsorsĒ from local restaurants donate the food each month/week to serve every kid or just the ones who canít afford it. The govt could help locate these sponsors or even offset some of the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Making my point. You are trying to pretend like I said the lunch would have no cost. I am saying there should be no cost to the student or their family. The cost should be budgeted for and borne through the same budget that pays for all the other school.
    You do know schools are barely funded now by tax dollars mostly because of teachers salaries right? When we were kids, we showed up to school with a couple of pencils and pens, maybe crayons. The well off kids had markers. These days, schools send out a ********** deep shopping list that you have to buy for your kid before school starts. And they request certain types and f products-soap and tissues.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc77 View Post
    All charities, as non profits, have to report their expenses and are bound by 501c-3 accounting regulations. Those are much stricter and open than govt accounting, especially on the local level.
    Just because they're stricter and more open than government accounting doesn't mean more of the money is going to the charitable cause. I agree, good charities that give the majority of their funding to their causes are probably better than the Government, but there are many charities that are not.

Iím all for free lunches/breakfast for children in school. Nourishment, safety, clothing and housing are part of any education pillars. However, I feel like thereís a better way than to have it part of some govt program. Schools could have ďsponsorsĒ from local restaurants donate the food each month/week to serve every kid or just the ones who canít afford it. The govt could help locate these sponsors or even offset some of the costs.
    This would be an awesome idea and they should institute it as much as possible, but if the Government is offsetting the costs of restaurants providing food for school lunches they could end up paying more for the food than if they'd simply done it themselves. And also, what if there aren't enough restaurants around/willing to do this for a particular school?

Great idea, but I don't think it's something that can be implemented everywhere, though it should be implemented whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Just because they're stricter and more open than government accounting doesn't mean more of the money is going to the charitable cause. I agree, good charities that give the majority of their funding to their causes are probably better than the Government, but there are many charities that are not.
    How do you know if more money is going to the charity of government accounting is not open and as strict as non profit accounting? You do know that by law, non profits have to spend so much of their annual budget on the cause correct? Thatís not true with government accounting.

This would be an awesome idea and they should institute it as much as possible, but if the Government is offsetting the costs of restaurants providing food for school lunches they could end up paying more for the food than if they'd simply done it themselves. And also, what if there aren't enough restaurants around/willing to do this for a particular school?

Great idea, but I don't think it's something that can be implemented everywhere, though it should be implemented whenever possible.
    I agree, it would be fairly difficult to implement everywhere but thereís a MacDonalds on every corner. We just have to be less regulatory on what kids are fed at school.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    While we're on the subject of school mealsÖÖÖ

How do these kids get by on weekends???

Do they starve during July and August when school is out???

Just wondering.
    I just wanna point out how stupid this post is, again, lol
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

You do know schools are barely funded now by tax dollars mostly because of teachers salaries right? When we were kids, we showed up to school with a couple of pencils and pens, maybe crayons. The well off kids had markers. These days, schools send out a ********** deep shopping list that you have to buy for your kid before school starts. And they request certain types and f products-soap and tissues.
    Or institute Zakat, where 2.5% of personal sitting wealth is given with the sole intent of being used on the poor. Problem solved

Ob man, imagine how pissed sluggo would be if we did that, lol
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I agree, it would be fairly difficult to implement everywhere but thereís a MacDonalds on every corner. We just have to be less regulatory on what kids are fed at school.
    I wouldn't want our kids being fed McDonald's. One of the reasons are country is so obese is we are feeding our children trash at school. I'd prefer if we fed them healthier meals.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Or institute Zakat, where 2.5% of personal sitting wealth is given with the sole intent of being used on the poor. Problem solved

Ob man, imagine how pissed sluggo would be if we did that, lol
    Well if thatís a mandate of joining that institute than itís not an issue because thereís still choice involved. Itís not as if thereís not other institutes one can join.

The issue with govt is taxes are mandatory and thereís no way of knowing where your tax dollar goes. It may go go help the poor but it may also go to study the mating habits of sea turtles. Also, the govt is inefficient in providing help to the poor. The programs are often bloated financially and rarely utilized by the intended members.

I wouldn't want our kids being fed McDonald's. One of the reasons are country is so obese is we are feeding our children trash at school. I'd prefer if we fed them healthier meals.
    So itís no longer about feeding potentially hungry students, itís about feeding them healthy meals? Thatís not an objective solution to the issue. If children are hungry to the point they canít focus on their education, a Big Mac would be suffice. If they want to eat healthy, they can bring their own lunch.

So itís no longer about feeding potentially hungry students, itís about feeding them healthy meals? Thatís not an objective solution to the issue. If children are hungry to the point they canít focus on their education, a Big Mac would be suffice. If they want to eat healthy, they can bring their own lunch.
    I mean, do you not want kids eating healthy? This is a two birds with one stone scenario. If it were solely about feeding kids, why not just mandate that every school meal is Top Ramen and save millions?

Besides, if your whole goal with this food outreach program is to save money, you realize creating an entire generation of unhealthy fat people actually is going to cost the US WAY more money in the long term in health costs?

I mean it seems stupid to feed them foot that is **** and not feed them healthy food. If the school is buying the food, then yea they should leverage their spending power to get something that isn't garbage for the students to eat.
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

That is not outside the law. If you are able to qualify for money from the government even if you don't need it, that is not illegal, but it is gaming the system.

So I'm assuming then that you are totally fine with poor people who legally get money they don't need so long as they are operating within the law just as you are totally fine with corporations that do the same?
    Thought you might be able to see the point but I guess not. That's a problem of epidemic proportions on these forums.

On almost all of these social systems there are numerous people (and it is more than you think) that receive benefits fraudulently. Pretty much most it is done by lying on application forms where the information is hard to check. If it is checked at all.

e.g. Family Income : is XX. That figure is supported by last week's meager pay stub but it doesn''t take into account the live in boy friend's salary of the fact that you may live with mom and dad and have no expenses. That's pretty much illegal everywhere but also goes on everywhere.

Then you have the ethical aspect. I have a relative who is a millionaire but has a loser kid that gets all kinds of financial "support" from various state and local (read that your taxes) agencies. So the state (read that your taxes) takes better care of people than their family. Is this right? I know it's legal, but is it right? We probably all know of situations like this. This is something else that is more common than you think.

Know anybody on "disability" that seems able to work. People that could still do clerical work or other simple jobs. I bet we all do.

When free money is easily obtainable, even with a little "harmless white lie that everyone does" people will take it. Problem is, nothing is free and costs go up elsewhere.

One of the reasons college tuition is so high is that college loans are so easy to get, not to mention guaranteed. it's like free money that you have forever to pay back. Make it harder to get, make it more difficult to stay in college forever and the lending and the costs would come down. (And how come no one ever questions the cost of professors and administrators salaries. Maybe they could take a pay cut. Sorry, lost my head there for a minute.)

Bottom lineÖthere is tons of money wasted and we make it overly to do so.

I guess my overall point is Öif you have kidsÖpay for 'em. Don't ask me to do it. I paid for mine, you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Thought you might be able to see the point but I guess not. That's a problem of epidemic proportions on these forums.

On almost all of these social systems there are numerous people (and it is more than you think) that receive benefits fraudulently. Pretty much most it is done by lying on application forms where the information is hard to check. If it is checked at all.

e.g. Family Income : is XX. That figure is supported by last week's meager pay stub but it doesn''t take into account the live in boy friend's salary of the fact that you may live with mom and dad and have no expenses. That's pretty much illegal everywhere but also goes on everywhere.

Then you have the ethical aspect. I have a relative who is a millionaire but has a loser kid that gets all kinds of financial "support" from various state and local (read that your taxes) agencies. So the state (read that your taxes) takes better care of people than their family. Is this right? I know it's legal, but is it right? We probably all know of situations like this. This is something else that is more common than you think.

Know anybody on "disability" that seems able to work. People that could still do clerical work or other simple jobs. I bet we all do.

When free money is easily obtainable, even with a little "harmless white lie that everyone does" people will take it. Problem is, nothing is free and costs go up elsewhere.

One of the reasons college tuition is so high is that college loans are so easy to get, not to mention guaranteed. it's like free money that you have forever to pay back. Make it harder to get, make it more difficult to stay in college forever and the lending and the costs would come down. (And how come no one ever questions the cost of professors and administrators salaries. Maybe they could take a pay cut. Sorry, lost my head there for a minute.)

Bottom lineÖthere is tons of money wasted and we make it overly to do so.

I guess my overall point is Öif you have kidsÖpay for 'em. Don't ask me to do it. I paid for mine, you do the same.
    Literally all of this diatribe applies to businesses and corporations as well. You don't think a ton of them are lying about their income, investments, where the money is, etc. to avoid paying more taxes? That is also illegal and they do it all the time. They are receiving tax breaks and tax incentives and kickbacks fraudulently.

So my question is, why aren't you as mad at corporations for doing that fraudulently as you are for poor people?