Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE View Post
    Habled? lol
    Thatís what the title of the thread is asking.

I don't think Kobe's situation would have been handled any differently. The burden is always "innocent until proven guilty", especially when this pertains to the quasi-privileged wealthy athlete.

We applaud women like Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for coming forward and telling her story in front of the world. We hold the women who brought down Weinstein and Cosby, and many others, in high regard for the same reason. Not everyone can do it, but sometimes to ensure that justice is done, you have to trudge through hell and high water to see it through.

Let's be clear: the reason why the prosecutors did not take the case to trial was because the alleged victim refused to testify. I'm not victim blaming or shaming, but the reality is if she had somehow found the courage to take the stand and see the case through, it's very likely that Kobe would have gone to prison. Of that I am absolutely certain. We're talking about Eagle, Colorado, which was around 90% White. I'm not saying that there is a deliberate racial component or agenda, but the fact of the matter is that whenever a Black defendant faces a jury of mostly White jurors, the odds of being found guilty increases.

The prosecutors felt the case was falling apart for many reasons, but perhaps the most damning was the fact that the alleged victim pursued a civil action against Kobe Bryant even before the criminal case had made its way to trial. Think about that for a minute.
    "Why can't we tell the world that [as the Raiders' coach] you refused to play games in the segregated South, holding out to the point where they were canceled?' And he would stop me dead in my tracks and say, 'Hey, kid -- I didn't do it for publicity. I did it because it was right.' "

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It really amazes me that this isn't relitigated more in the Me Too era. I mean, he won an Oscar. I guess nobody wants to be the person to demonize someone for something that may or may not have happened 15 years ago, that there are more present battles to fight, but for that to happen right as Me Too is taking off still strikes me as strange.

I'm trying to think of what would happen if a modern star of '04 Kobe's ilk had this exact same scandal now. I don't know what would happen. I truly don't. This isn't the NFL, where every player is replaceable. If like, Stephen Curry or KD were in this situation and were cut by the Warriors, there would be a line of desperate teams around the block ready to sign them no matter what they did. They would for the simple fact that there might not be another way for like the Orlando Magic or Minnesota Timberwolves to get a player like that, so I can't see their career ending entirely.

The league response is what I'd be most curious about, because the NBA has an identity as the woke league. If we're being absolutely technical, they banished Donald Sterling for less than what Kobe was accused of (though you could argue that the totality of Sterling's scumbaggery was the real reason he was disposed of, not just one incident). I really don't know any of this, but I think it's a really interesting conversation.
    POOP

In b4 close

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I don't think Kobe's situation would have been handled any differently. The burden is always "innocent until proven guilty", especially when this pertains to the quasi-privileged wealthy athlete.

We applaud women like Dr. Christine Blasey Ford for coming forward and telling her story in front of the world. We hold the women who brought down Weinstein and Cosby, and many others, in high regard for the same reason. Not everyone can do it, but sometimes to ensure that justice is done, you have to trudge through hell and high water to see it through.

Let's be clear: the reason why the prosecutors did not take the case to trial was because the alleged victim refused to testify. I'm not victim blaming or shaming, but the reality is if she had somehow found the courage to take the stand and see the case through, it's very likely that Kobe would have gone to prison. Of that I am absolutely certain. We're talking about Eagle, Colorado, which was around 90% White. I'm not saying that there is a deliberate racial component or agenda, but the fact of the matter is that whenever a Black defendant faces a jury of mostly White jurors, the odds of being found guilty increases.

The prosecutors felt the case was falling apart for many reasons, but perhaps the most damning was the fact that the alleged victim pursued a civil action against Kobe Bryant even before the criminal case had made its way to trial. Think about that for a minute.
    Just to clarify, Weinstein hasn't been found guilty yet and neither was Kavanaugh so 1 for 3 on your examples.

We crucify without proof now more than ever.

^^^^Kirk Douglas got a lifetime achievement award and a standing ovation just last year and he raped Natalie Wood. People voted for a self proclaimed ***** grabber. Chris Brown still makes records and sells tickets. Floyd Mayweather still rakes in millions and is welcomed on the Laker sideline.

I have a few other thoughts that Iíll keep to myself as this isnít the place for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    ^^^^Kirk Douglas got a lifetime achievement award and a standing ovation just last year and he raped Natalie Wood. People voted for a self proclaimed ***** grabber. Chris Brown still makes records and sells tickets. Floyd Mayweather still rakes in millions and is welcomed on the Laker sideline.

I have a few other thoughts that Iíll keep to myself as this isnít the place for them.
    haha, spot on. In the moment, he probably would have taken more heat, and a bigger hit to his pocketbook. But scumbags with power and/or money always recover. And in many cases, and not to defend Kobe, but sometimes people make mistakes, and can learn from them.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    haha, spot on. In the moment, he probably would have taken more heat, and a bigger hit to his pocketbook. But scumbags with power and/or money always recover. And in many cases, and not to defend Kobe, but sometimes people make mistakes, and can learn from them.
    So is the reason Mel Gibson went away so quiet because he drunkenly verbally went after jews and not hitting/raping women?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    So is the reason Mel Gibson went away so quiet because he drunkenly verbally went after jews and not hitting/raping women?
    Thought he said something about hoping his wife would get raped by a pack of nword. Forgot why he went away before his triumphant return in that daddy movie

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. It really amazes me that this isn't relitigated more in the Me Too era. I mean, he won an Oscar. I guess nobody wants to be the person to demonize someone for something that may or may not have happened 15 years ago, that there are more present battles to fight, but for that to happen right as Me Too is taking off still strikes me as strange.

I'm trying to think of what would happen if a modern star of '04 Kobe's ilk had this exact same scandal now. I don't know what would happen. I truly don't. This isn't the NFL, where every player is replaceable. If like, Stephen Curry or KD were in this situation and were cut by the Warriors, there would be a line of desperate teams around the block ready to sign them no matter what they did. They would for the simple fact that there might not be another way for like the Orlando Magic or Minnesota Timberwolves to get a player like that, so I can't see their career ending entirely.

The league response is what I'd be most curious about, because the NBA has an identity as the woke league. If we're being absolutely technical, they banished Donald Sterling for less than what Kobe was accused of (though you could argue that the totality of Sterling's scumbaggery was the real reason he was disposed of, not just one incident). I really don't know any of this, but I think it's a really interesting conversation.
    Hollywood loves that sort of behavior, don't be fooled by their wizardry. That and the lady was a literal cumbucket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post

In retrospect I should've voted trump or nothing at all. Grabbing groupies is easy to go with when the alternative literally laughs at rape victims, has the most suspicious body count and characters around her while being married to another questionable figure to put it mildly.

Idk much about the chris brown story tho
    Last edited by Chronz; 02-11-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    Thatís what the title of the thread is asking.
    Lmfao

ZOOOOOOO TIME!!!!

I think it's very surprising he hasn't had to go into hiding. I'm not sure why #MeToo doesn't apply to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    I think it's very surprising he hasn't had to go into hiding. I'm not sure why #MeToo doesn't apply to him.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Instead of going into hiding he's placed on a pedestal

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    Remember that time the Clippers almost got Kobe? Lol

ZOOOOOOO TIME!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast