Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2019 Spring Training and Beyond

Ok, so I'm going to try to stay positive throughout this post. Here's some things to watch for at spring training and beyond this season.

Starting Pitching:

1. In spring training I think both Turnbull and Funkhouser push for a spot in the rotation and one of them makes it. If it's Funkhouser look for Turnbull to go to the pen to start the season as the long arm.

2. Ross and Moore- Both will start out on the roster but one will fail, IMO. My hope is that Moore shows strong because a LH starter is more valuable than RH starters at the trade deadline. If it's Ross we may be able to get a Fieres type deal but Moore would be a bit more valuable.

3. Zimmermann- I think this is the year he finally breaks the curse. I don't know who cursed him but man did they curse him. The problem is will any team trust his health enough to trade for him and his contract. It's possible and I have my fingers crossed he will bring some good prospects back.

4. Boyd/Fulmer- One of both of these guys won't be back next season and will get dealt at the deadline. Fulmer is younger and would be better to keep another year so my hope is that Boyd continues to improve and builds trade value.

5. Look for the young arms to start coming this year and keep coming. I think Funkhouser and Turnbull will be the start with Burrows coming behind them shortly. Oh, don't sleep on Grayson Long either. Kid is a workhorse that "if" completely healthy should make it to the D this year.

Bullpen:

1. Shane Greene will be the biggest asset at the trade deadline. I have a feeling he is going to revert back to his 2017 form or even better which will make him a high priority bullpen guy at the deadline. Could bring back a very nice deal if he does.

2. As mentioned, I think Turnbull will start out as the long guy in the pen but we have plenty of young arms that are on their way (Garcia, Houston, and others). Victor Alcantara, while not exciting or will strike people out, has become a solid BP guy. He's crafty and has a great SO/BB rate. I see him turning in another good season.

3. Ross or Moore, one will eventually be relegated to the pen but I'm not sure how that works out. I guess this will be one we have to wait to see.

4. Jimenez, the big fella, will be solid and after the Greene trade will step right in. They say he's conditioning better this off season so look for him to be steady throughout the long haul.

Catcher:

1. Trust in Greiner. He'll be a solid .230-.240 hitter with some power. He's very poised and good defensively. Won't be exciting but will be a rock behind the plate. Cheaper, taller, version of McCannon.

2. Hicks to me is all we need at back up. The guy is a good ball player. I see him backing up at C, 1B, and DH. Look forward to seeing him play.

Infield:

1. Look for Miggy to get most of the 1B reps with a steady mix of DH. Lets hope his heads in the season and he missed the game while he was gone. Like I've pointed out in other posts, he's here for a long time so lets just get his head on straight and point him in the right direction.

2. Second base should be an easy decision (Goodrum) but it seems as if they want to make it difficult by bringing in a ton of trash to compete with Nico. The last thing any of us want to see is Kozma, Beckham, Dixon, or Lugo at 2B for a steady amount of time.

3. SS is what it is due to the signing of Mercer. Let's just get it over with this year and get one of our young guys in for 2020.

4. Candalerio is the third baseman and deserves to be for now. I want to see him get some 1B in though during the year as I see his future there and Miggy's at DH.

Outfield:

1. Casty is here for the season now due to AA scaring away any chance we had at getting a good return. Unless he is having an "outstanding" season (yes, in the field too) then he will be with us all year. I like Nick so it doesn't bother me other than the fact we don't get anything but a first rounder for him in the draft.

2. CF is where I differ from just about anyone I've read. I don't see Jones getting a full time job done. Yes, his defense is great but his bat (mostly pitch recognition and strike outs) won't be able to keep him in as a full time OF. I see a platoon right from the start with Robson or Woodrow both LH bats and good outfielders. Eventually, probably by year end, you'll see Daz Cameron as the RH platoon guy with Robson or Woodrow. I just don't have faith in Jones.

3. Stewart is your LF for the future. I think he did well in his first taste of the MLB. Hopefully his defense will improve and he will show more power in his bat this season. I don't have much doubt he won't succeed with the bat. Defense may be another story.

4. Dustin Peterson over Mahtook would be my preference for the additional OF, especially if we have Robson or Woodrow for CF platoon. Mahtook really plays hard but it just doesn't seem he's moving the needle up.

Lineup isnt looking to shabby.
    1.harrison
    2.caddy
    3.cabby
    4.nick
    5.stewart.
    6.goodrum/dh
    7.mercer
    8.grainer
    9.jones/dak/mathook/Robinson

Potential to be one them sneaky teams gardy put out in minn.

Rodney, I like the lineup but if we could make one more move and bring in Adam Jones at around $5M to be the DH and rotational OF that lineup would really look better. Then Nico could do his thing filling in all over. We just have to hope Candy, Stewart, and Greiner hit because I have no faith in Jacoby hitting more than .220 but his defense will be needed with Nick/Stew on his sides.

Funkhouser stars in his first outing. He outpitched Turnbull (2 innings, 1 hit, 1K, 0BB), Mize (2 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 0BB, and 2K), and Soto with 2 innings 4K 0BB and 0 runs. Granted it's against a college team but hey that's what the others were pitching against also. I think if this kid stays healthy he's going to be either a good rotation guy or a dominant relief pitcher. Just not sure where he will end up yet. These young guys are going to be fun to follow.

Ok, it's early but here is a run down on the good and bad so far:

Good
    Harold Castro- my man is 4 for 8, played 3 different positions, and seems to be carrying over a good summer league performance.
    Gordon Beckham- solid so far with 4 for 7 at the plate. Really doesn't want to retire yet.
    Dustin Peterson- very solid so far with a 4 for 9 at the plate while stinging the ball. Hope we find a spot for him.
    Goodrum- hitting and coring runs while being able to play all over, he really deserved that 2B spot but whatever.
    Paredes- looks like a future starter (sooner than later) kid came in and got a hit in his only at bat.

Zim- really looked solid in his outing going 2 innings with 4K and no BB. This could be great if he can continue to the trade deadline
    VerHagen- wasn't one of my favorites but had a good year and so far he has one inning with 2K and zero BB
    Alcantara- I think this guy just gets better with time. So far one inning and 2K
    Baez- as I said it's early but in 2 innings he hasn't walked anyone (fingers crossed) and struck out 3
    Jimenez- keep growing into that closer role buddy. So far 1 inning and 2K

Bad
    T. Ross- eesh, 1.2 innings 3 runs and said he had a good outing. Yikes
    Matt Hall- back to AAA with you bud. 2 innings 4 runs- needs to step it up
    Buck Farmer- a guy that I rooted for early but just doesn't have it for the MLB, IMO. 1 inning and 3 runs
    Zac Houston- my man needs to step it up as he got rocked his first outing 1.2 innings and 3 runs

Ronnie Rodriguez- when will they realize he's not a MLB talent. 6 at bats and 3k with zero hits
    Brandon Dixon- wasn't impressed when we signed him but he got an HR against the college kids, so far 0-5 against MLB players
    Jacoby Jones- this was my fear when they committed to him as CF starter, 0-5 so far but he hasn't struck out yet.
    Jody Mercer- so far 1 for 6 but I'm not expecting much anyway.

Hows reyes, dustin p looking?
    Last edited by Rodney Stuckey; 02-28-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Really entertaining the idea of harrison in center field and beckham at 2nd base this might field our best team. Gordon has looked damn good this spring thus far.

Dustin Peterson has looked great so far. He just jacked one today to add to his stellar spring. Reyes has also looked pretty good. He added some muscle and it's showing. He's hitting it hard this spring so far.

As for your plan with Beckham at 2B and Harrison in CF. I don't think that's possible. Harrison has played "some" outfield but RF/LF only and very minimal. I would love for someone that can hit and play a solid CF take over for Jones because he's just not good at the plate. Great CF defensively but not good at all at the plate and today he's gotten picked off and caught stealing. I guess he's regressing on the base paths as well. I see Mahtook is hitting well but he's a streaky guy. He may go 0-12 the next few games. I don't trust him and I don't think he's as good as advertised as a CF. If we could get Harold Castro to play a solid CF, I think he's going to be a very good player this year.

I see Mikie Mahtook will be the opening day CF