Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1306
  1. #1291
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    29,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Interesting to see that Peter King has the 49ers ranked #7 in his power rankings.
    Him and Colin have a fetish with 49ers

  2. #1292
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    A bit optimistic. Maybe he assumes health.
    This was his reasoning:

    "Hereís my big surprise. Only I donít see it that way. In 2017 and 2018, the Niners were 6-2 when Jimmy Garoppolo started and 4-18 when he didnít. In his fateful last start, when he ran left and tore his ACL at Kansas City, these were the last four drives he executed that afternoon, going head to head with Patrick Mahomes at rabid Arrowhead: 54 yards to a field goal, 87 yards to a touchdown, 77 yards to a touchdown, 58 yards to a field goal. In his 10 NFL starts, heís a 66-percent passer. I have no problem making two statements: I think the 49ers are a playoff team if Garappolo plays a full season. And I think Garoppolo will be seen as a top 10 NFL quarterback if he plays a full season this year. Still, the fact that he hasnít done it leaves the question in everyoneís mind: The kidís started only 10 games in five NFL seasons, heís been rewarded ridiculously for what the Niners expect him to do Ö and now, can he do it? The future of so many people in San Franciscoóincluding joined-at-the-hip coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynchóare riding on Garoppoloís right arm. And his health. Iím fine gambling on him."

  3. #1293
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,335
    Interesting reasoning. Essentially the same hype from 2018 prior to the season. I've changed my stance, primarily b/c of the three games with Jimmy G last year. He threw 3 INT's in game 1 on the road against a non-playoff time. At the time they were viewed as a legit team and that they weren't going to win, but that team didn't make the playoffs.

    After Lakers wanted me to leave if the Niners won by two touchdowns to the Lions, they promptly couldn't hold onto a lead (Kyle's motto) only to be saved by a defensive hold otherwise that's a pick six and another loss at home.

    And finally, in KC, they got demolished, but b/c KC had a bad defense, the 49ers started making the game close (kinda like the Chargers made the game close in the Superbowl vs Niners), before the ACL.

    Those three games with Jimmy G, told me Kyle does not value ball possession, did not get his players prepared to play, put his team in position to lose.

    Kyle's track record has been terrible on the road. They start the season with two road games. Both winnable. Tampa and Cincy. Tampa crushed the 49ers last year. They have a much better head coach now.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

  4. #1294
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    This was his reasoning:

    "Hereís my big surprise. Only I donít see it that way. In 2017 and 2018, the Niners were 6-2 when Jimmy Garoppolo started and 4-18 when he didnít. In his fateful last start, when he ran left and tore his ACL at Kansas City, these were the last four drives he executed that afternoon, going head to head with Patrick Mahomes at rabid Arrowhead: 54 yards to a field goal, 87 yards to a touchdown, 77 yards to a touchdown, 58 yards to a field goal. In his 10 NFL starts, heís a 66-percent passer. I have no problem making two statements: I think the 49ers are a playoff team if Garappolo plays a full season. And I think Garoppolo will be seen as a top 10 NFL quarterback if he plays a full season this year. Still, the fact that he hasnít done it leaves the question in everyoneís mind: The kidís started only 10 games in five NFL seasons, heís been rewarded ridiculously for what the Niners expect him to do Ö and now, can he do it? The future of so many people in San Franciscoóincluding joined-at-the-hip coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynchóare riding on Garoppoloís right arm. And his health. Iím fine gambling on him."
    I knew he was projecting Jimmy, I meant the rest of the roster too, particularly the DBs

  5. #1295
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    29,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I knew he was projecting Jimmy, I meant the rest of the roster too, particularly the DBs
    They should really try to trade for Harris. I just donít trust ward and company are going to stay healthy and I donít think Colbert can bounce back

  6. #1296
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,756
    Quote Originally Posted by D1JM View Post
    They should really try to trade for Harris. I just donít trust ward and company are going to stay healthy and I donít think Colbert can bounce back
    Harris is a nickel CB, not a FS. Harris wouldn't replace Ward or Colbert, he'd replace K'Waun Williams or DJ Reed.

  7. #1297
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,335
    Tidbits...

    Toilolo signed. I kinda like him as a massive TE target. So with their draft pick, and the undrafted free agent, they have three decent guys to be the backup TE. I heard the undrafted guy might be more a special teams guy.

    Barrows projects Jordan Matthews as the player most likely to be cut among the free agents. There's one every year thus far under this regime.

    The Athletic provides win totals and then decides the over and under. They have niners listed at 8. They said take the under due to the durability issues of Jimmy G. Another one of their writers said 8-8 would be a fantastic season.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

  8. #1298
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    29,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Harris is a nickel CB, not a FS. Harris wouldn't replace Ward or Colbert, he'd replace K'Waun Williams or DJ Reed.
    Oh I know heís a cornerback, but I didnít know he was a strictly a slot corner. My rant about fS is I thought this draft was deep in this position and we did nothing this offseason to upgrade.

  9. #1299
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,756
    Quote Originally Posted by D1JM View Post
    Oh I know heís a cornerback, but I didnít know he was a strictly a slot corner. My rant about fS is I thought this draft was deep in this position and we did nothing this offseason to upgrade.
    Harris probably can play on the outside, but he's one of the better slot CBs so playing him on the outside would be a waste of his skill set. Plus, the 49ers (and other teams who run our scheme) tend to like longer CBs on the outside while Harris is only 5'10". Really though, the problem with acquiring Harris is that he wants to become one of, if not the, highest paid CBs in the NFL and Denver wants a high draft pick for him. We already don't have a 2nd round pick next year, so trading for him would really hurt our draft next year as we'd probably have to give our 3rd plus another pick.

  10. #1300
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by D1JM View Post
    Oh I know heís a cornerback, but I didnít know he was a strictly a slot corner. My rant about fS is I thought this draft was deep in this position and we did nothing this offseason to upgrade.

    Most fans would agree, but their actions are questionable at best. They tend to believe in "their" guys over upgrading. Last off-season they intentionally ignored edge pass rusher, and it killed them.

    This year, the 49ers think that Ward/Tartt/Exum/Harris/Colbert are more than sufficient.


    I guess we can credit them to sticking to their guns/choices.


    In other WR news, its possible that Richie James is battling with Trent Taylor for a roster spot this year.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

  11. #1301
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,756
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    Most fans would agree, but their actions are questionable at best. They tend to believe in "their" guys over upgrading. Last off-season they intentionally ignored edge pass rusher, and it killed them.

    This year, the 49ers think that Ward/Tartt/Exum/Harris/Colbert are more than sufficient.


    I guess we can credit them to sticking to their guns/choices.


    In other WR news, its possible that Richie James is battling with Trent Taylor for a roster spot this year.
    Last offseason, the pass rush options available in free agency and where we were in the draft weren't very good. I'm glad that they waited until this year to address it with elite options in Bosa and Ford.

  12. #1302
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Last offseason, the pass rush options available in free agency and where we were in the draft weren't very good. I'm glad that they waited until this year to address it with elite options in Bosa and Ford.
    magnet to loserville.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

  13. #1303
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,335
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Harris probably can play on the outside, but he's one of the better slot CBs so playing him on the outside would be a waste of his skill set. Plus, the 49ers (and other teams who run our scheme) tend to like longer CBs on the outside while Harris is only 5'10". Really though, the problem with acquiring Harris is that he wants to become one of, if not the, highest paid CBs in the NFL and Denver wants a high draft pick for him. We already don't have a 2nd round pick next year, so trading for him would really hurt our draft next year as we'd probably have to give our 3rd plus another pick.
    But the moderater aka red, thinks that slot CB's are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry red, all too easy.
    LA Kings : Kovalchuk
    LA Lakers: Lebron James
    SF 49ers: Jimmy G
    SF Giants: ????

  14. #1304
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Emmaus, PA
    Posts
    27,973
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
    But the moderater aka red, thinks that slot CB's are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry red, all too easy.
    Sure it's easy when you misrepresent a point from years ago, absolutley.

  15. #1305
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26,868
    I think Kyle has come around to size being useful in the redzone.

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •