Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

The After Shock- Let's talk about the trade:

I'm sorry guys but it's getting really redundant and the same questions keep arising so I thought why not a after trade thread:

The Trade-

Knicks- get Smith Jr., Mathews, Jordan and 2 future picks........

The picks are the Mav's 2021 and 2023 top 10 protected. This is only if the Mav's do not get a top 5 pick this year which then makes the picks a 2022 and 2024 top 10 protected.

In the case of the top 10 protected if Dallas lands a 10 or below draft pick the Knicks would get the next years first round pick unprotected.

Dallas- gets KP, Timmy Jr, Lee and Trey (key to the entire trade J/K lol)

Reasons for the trade-

Lets start with the easy one Dallas reasons:

Dallas -get a 23 year old Unicorn to play alongside Doncic who is just a young stud.
    Dallas- gets Timmy and Lee to replace Mathews, and possibly try to move them.
    Dallas- gets Trey to get some min off the bench for instant offense. And of course Smith is gone.

The Knicks reasons- very subjective of course:

Knicks- have a player who threatened to only sign his 4.5m QO which means he is a UFA after next year. This would limit his trade value as well knowing Knicks don't have the strings to pull and KP can simply say he's a loaner for one year.
    Knicks- needed to shed cap and tried and were unsuccessful trying to move Timmy's and Lee's contracts. Part of the deal was getting these two off the books.
    Knicks- Freed up 75mil (if they renounce Lance by July 1st, renounce Trier, renounce Dot) in cap which brings the ability for two max FA's to NY.
    Knicks- kept their young assets, these include Knox, Frank, Mitch and our pick which is a foregone conclusion it's a top 7 pick at worse with a good shot at a top 3 and a 14% shot at the grand prize of all MR. ZION.
    Knicks- added two future 1st round picks which if you've paid attention around the league become very valuable assets for trade purposes.
    Knicks- Knicks still have Jordan's and Mathew's contracts to try and get possible 2nd round picks, maybe Jordan brings back a late first but that is heavy wishing. Chances are also they just get bought out and Dolan saves some cash this year.
    Knicks-added a PG that both Mills and Perry have been high on. Smith will now have plenty of time to show case himself without being in the shadow of Doncic.
    Knicks- KP is coming off an injury and has never shown he wants to be a lifetime Knick, this started with the skipped exit interview.
    Knicks-can still use current assets which now includes two additional 1st's to make a trade and still leave cap for two max FA's.

Reason's KP didn't want to Be a Knick moving forward:

-Knicks FO how they treated Melo, his friend, hence the missed exit interview
    -Knicks (fiz) visited KP at his home and discussed why he wasn't getting extended and that he was the future franchise and that the plan was to get a FA to join him and why he would not be 25m richer this year.
    -Knicks after they were all in on FA changed it before mid season and said FA wasn't the goal and they were staying young and the course. Remember KP took a 25m hit for only FA.
    -Knicks then offered KP in trades which was assumed now has come out, KP and his agent, and brother then told Knicks that he would not be here long term and threatened to only sign the QO making him a unrestricted FA. Remember KP took a 25m hit now being offered in trades!

The Grade of the trade?

Right now it's incomplete, and based on multiple factors:

1. will Knicks get Max FA's to join the team in July with all the cap space?
    2. Who will those Max guys be? will it be type tier or the 2nd tier variety?
    3. What will the draft picks be worth?
    4. What will the Knicks do with the young Knicks left on the roster.
    5. What will come of our lottery draft pick this year?
    6. How will KP return from injury, lets all not be fooled we all had this concern while a Knick
    7. What value will Timmy, Lee and Trey bring to Dallas? (especially trey, again J/K lol)
    8. Will Smith Jr actually become the player Lebron said he would? Will he remain a Knick?
    9. Could the Knicks possibly trade all the current assets (players and picks) for AD? That trade could possibly out do the Lakers based on the number of picks.
    My assumption it would take our 2019, 2021 top ten protected, both Mav's picks, Knox, Frank, Mitch, and maybe a 2nd round pick or two.

Important for those who think AD is still in play, every asset for 2019 would have to be gone in order to remain having the option for two max players, yes even Smith would have to go.

Only way to have AD and two max players is Durant could not be included, or have to trade Smith as well and we would be damn close.

Well that is about it on all the redundancy going on in multiple threads, hope this helps if not, my fingers got a great workout lol.
    Last edited by still a fan; 02-01-2019 at 02:43 PM.

How does KP lose 25 million exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Hustla23 View Post
    How does KP lose 25 million exactly?
    He was do to make this year like Towns nearly 30m and he made 5.4m, he took the hit for the team so to have cap room for the max FA, yet his cap hold was still 17m but it still saved just over 12m in cap space for that FA

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    He was do to make this year like Towns nearly 30m and he made 5.4m, he took the hit for the team so to have cap room for the max FA, yet his cap hold was still 17m but it still saved just over 12m in cap space for that FA
    I still don't get it. Isn't this year the last year of his rookie deal? How is he making 30 million this year?

any link to the pick becoming unprotected after 2024? doubt that it would fall in top 10 anyway.

i feel better about it with the two picks and this QO stuff coming out and seeing how much of a douche KP was on IG, but it's still an awful trade if you ask me. KP being 7'3 always scared me though, he was always going to be a worry injury wise.

Only way to have AD and two max players is Durant could not be included, or have to trade Smith as well and we would be damn close.
    So the Knicks can have KD and any max or AD and two other maxes? Seems like an easy choice to me. Give me the three players as long as they are "A" quality.

I give kudos to the FO for acquiring 2 firsts for an injured player.
    I get the clearing cap part too.
    I only wonder what if no star comes(and that is certainly possible), we again get a team of 1y overpaid contracts and players that just play for another contract. Blah.

I do think it is hard to put a team around KP at the 4. In modern basketball that is.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    any link to the pick becoming unprotected after 2024? doubt that it would fall in top 10 anyway.
    heard late last night on ESPN, nothing concrete at this point but really shouldn't matter unless KP is hurt, and it goes up to three years protected then automatic non protected and usually decreases, say year 1 (1-10 protected) year 2 (top 5 protected). year 3 (top 3 protected).

hence probably means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeJay View Post
    I give kudos to the FO for acquiring 2 firsts for an injured player.
    I get the clearing cap part too.
    I only wonder what if no star comes(and that is certainly possible), we again get a team of 1y overpaid contracts and players that just play for another contract. Blah.

I do think it is hard to put a team around KP at the 4. In modern basketball that is.
    no FA's come well that is big based on cap space being a big part of this trade but one would hope the knicks stay the young route and get as many young cheap contracts as possible.

But remember this and it's important, you need to have that contract that expires to add to the young talent and picks to even be able to make that trade if a AD, Kawhi, Butler etc become available all of a sudden.

So I'm sure the Knicks fail in FA will get someone on an overpaid contract for simply one year. maybe Kanter stays for the next tank job.............nooooooo

Is there any way of bringing in 3 max players this offseason? Similar to what the Heat did in 2010.

Stop smoking the pot guys KP wanted out because knicks won't have shot at playoffs for awhile now suddenly they are going to get this super max players lol. Lebron Wade Bosh didn't want to join Gallo Chandler but Durant Irving and Ad want to join Knox and bunch of future picks?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Stop smoking the pot guys KP wanted out because knicks won't have shot at playoffs for awhile now suddenly they are going to get this super max players lol. Lebron Wade Bosh didn't want to join Gallo Chandler but Durant Irving and Ad want to join Knox and bunch of future picks?
    to be fair we could only afford 1 max guy at that time.

but yea i don't buy that 2 stars will want to come here to play with a bare roster.

Knox, Frank and Mitch are unproven. so would our draft pick. DSJR is decent as is DOT but thats a very bare roster.

In the end it was a good trade.

The Knicks chance to have two super stars is real !!!

I would still trade Wes(pick2rd) now, but i would keep Jordan.

Durant is your personal friend, would help in a business.

Irving - Dotson - Durant - Zion - Jordan
    or
    Irving - Barrett - Durant - Knox - Jordan

Would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    to be fair we could only afford 1 max guy at that time.

but yea i don't buy that 2 stars will want to come here to play with a bare roster.

Knox, Frank and Mitch are unproven. so would our draft pick. DSJR is decent as is DOT but thats a very bare roster.
    Knowing the Knicks they will buy out DJ to save Dolan cash and DSJR will compete with mudiay on worst offense efficiency stats.

Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast