Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Popovich deserves coach of the year

The Spurs are 27-21. Never has Pop done more with less. Don't believe me? Here are a few tidbits. If you've listened to the latest episode of The Lowe Post you probably know exactly where I'm going.

The Spurs with both Lamarcus Aldridge and Demar DeRozan on the court are +25 point for the season. Basically even considering this is over 1800 minutes.

With both Aldridge and DeRozan off the floor they are plus +100 something (sorry, don't remember the exact number but it was in excess of 100) in only 400 minutes!!!!

Take a moment to look at the Spurs roster after DeRozan and Aldridge, how on earth does Pop get so much from so little.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

He has deserved it many years. But like the MVP award, there is no consistency, and storyline plays a huge part. Consistency is boring in life, and rarely gets recognized.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Pop is GOAT

yeah coach of the year is one of the awards where I feel like talent doesn't really matter. its all about what the what a team does to that year subtract the writers expectations for a team. the highest win differential usually wins the award. an exception can be when a player leaves the team and the team still plays well they can then give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    yeah coach of the year is one of the awards where I feel like talent doesn't really matter. its all about what the what a team does to that year subtract the writers expectations for a team. the highest win differential usually wins the award. an exception can be when a player leaves the team and the team still plays well they can then give it to them.
    Yep, exactly. Exceeding expectations is a sound logical way to do it, but we also need to recognize great coaching when it's boring too.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

he knows how to maximize his talent. lma and derozan would have less value elsewhere. guys who leave like gary neal, simmons, boban, oberto and a long list of others get exposed outside of pops tutelage. having him is like having an extra all star player on your team imo. just the value he gets out of players is unreal. he also plays to the strengths of his players instead of forcing players to play to his system or whatever.

Pop deserves it every year. Aside from Kawhi, who has ever been derogatory about the Spurs culture?

goats gonna goat

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Pop deserves it every year. Aside from Kawhi, who has ever been derogatory about the Spurs culture?
    To be fair that's pretty big. Essentially "aside from their next superstar leaving and destroying any chance they have to realistically compete, what has ever gone bad?"

A bunch of roster changes, then losing Murray for the season, then losing White for about a month early on, and losing Lonnie Walker for a couple months, it was like what else can go wrong lol.

But he's got the guys playing great defensively, everyone is buying in, and communicating. Many thought with a Derozan/Gay/Aldridge trio, they would struggle to keep up and put up points, but they're shooting the 3 ball better than anyone and 7th in ORtG. He's playing guys to their strengths like he always does, and keeping his rotations fairly short, to expedite the chemistry they need.

This is what he does tho. I think the biggest difference is people really doubted them as a team overall this year. They played one of the tougher schedules early on, and get to finish the season with one of the easier schedules of all WC playoff teams.

With Aldridge and dorozan they should be better than 27-21
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    That's totally disregarding the amount of roster change/injuries they dealt with early on tho. Takes time to develop chemistry.

Their December I'm pretty sure they were #1 or close to it in terms of NetRTG, offensively, & defensively. It just took time to put all the pieces together
    Last edited by kdspurman; 01-23-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    You give those two way too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    That's totally disregarding the amount of roster change/injuries they dealt with early on tho. Takes time to develop chemistry.

Their December I'm pretty sure they were #1 or close to it in terms of NetRTG, offensively, & defensively. It just took time to put all the pieces together
    Yea, still got some time to keep getting in form. I expected more out of the lma, derozan, pop trio, but maybe just need some time to get there.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Mike Malone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast