Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Nick Markakis resign with Braves

Jon Heyman and Mark Bowman confirms thath OF Nick Markakis is back at a 4MM base salary with a club option for 6MM plus a 2MM buyout. This is a bit of a bummer but at this price is very good value. We all hope for an upgrade at the position and is still possible but unlikely. What I know is that we need to upgrade somewhere else because I'm not sure we are the beat team in the NLE with the current roster. if we go with Markakis as our everyday RF with Camargo and Duvall playing some games at the position, the Catcher is still the most logical choice for an upgrade.

Payroll is at about 112 million so we have maybe 20 million left to spend? Leaves room to make a push for Kimbrel. If AA makes another splash move then Iíll be ok with Markakis. Iíll be curious to see if this moves leads to another one quickly like we saw with McCann and Donaldson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Hope they make a move for Kimbrel, we'd have a very good bullpen then. As it stands now it feels mostly average.

I'm fine with Markakis, especially with Pollock getting $55M over 4 years. Too pricey for his inability to stay on the field.

For the bullpen, it sounds like they are counting on quite a few things:

1. Vizcaino bouncing back and being healthy in 2019 (he only threw 38 innings in 2018).

2. Minter continuing to grow and get better and better.

3. Dan Winkler\Jesse Biddle\Shane Carle being more comfortable and stronger in their 2nd full season in the majors. Winkler in particular is a guy that I think was unfairly maligned by some Braves fans. There actually were some fans online who wanted to see Winkler released. Why? He was coming back from a gruesome arm injury that occurred in 2016. He was only able to throw 14 innings in 2017 after coming back from injury but in 2018 was suddenly forced into a heavier workload (69 appearances) than I think he was physically ready for. He was gassed in the 2nd half of the season due to being overworked. Even with that, he still had a 1.19 WHIP last season.

4. Darren O'Day will be available this year. O'Day has historically been a good reliever and he hopefully will provide a quality option to the bullpen.

5. Chad Sobotka - he should be available in Atlanta's bullpen for the full season this year. The Braves seem to really like him and think he has the potential to be a difference-maker in the bullpen.

6. Patrick Weigel - he has been working out and throwing and his name has been mentioned as an option for the bullpen, as it has been suggested that he could have a big impact there. It could also help control his workload as he comes from back Tommy John surgery.

Anyway, the above are probably the reasons that they might be more optimistic about the bullpen than some of the Braves' fans.

That's a cheap deal. Limit his PAs, and he's fine.

Didn't think about the bullpen through that lens. Forgot that a lot of players were coming back in 2019.

6. 07-16-2019, 02:27 PM