Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    I didn't watch the preseason game, the first one never seems all that interesting to me. The last three are more compelling IMO as the roster battles really take shape

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I didn't watch the preseason game, the first one never seems all that interesting to me. The last three are more compelling IMO as the roster battles really take shape
    You'd probably like what you see from the defense if you do watch it. Some good play there, even if they are in there for a limited time. I can't really tell much from the offense since they are running very vanilla schemes and it resulted in 4 field goal attempts. Travis Frderick being back should help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    dumb. defense was ******* his first year. he carried them and outplayed rodgers in the playoff game. defense lost the game, zeke sure as **** didnt carry anybody in 2 of the 3 playoff games hes been in.

this isnt a league where you pay rb's its a league where you pay your qb. dallas is in win now mode. not win three years from now when rook finally figures it out. they cant pay everyone and be average to bad in hopes the rookie qb is better. thats not how any of this works
    Who said anything about Zeke? You said committing 15% of the salary cap to the QB position is how it works and if "you don't like it, find another sport". That's straight jibberish and I gave you data that proved it. By the way, I am also against making Zeke the highest paid RB in the league, although I can stomach that more than giving Dak $30mm+ annually. Why? The difference is Zeke is actually elite at his position.

And Dallas has 2-3 years to figure it out. Dak is signed for this upcoming season and can be franchised in 2020/21 and 2021/22. Those salaries are steep, projected to be $32mm in 2020 and almost $39mm in 2021 so there is a significant cost to the Cowboys for dragging their feet. But it does allow them two additional drafts and off-seasons to explore their options, which I whole-heartedly support. And Dak is still 26 and has plenty of room of growth in his development. He could sign a Carson Wentz type of deal and make it worth it (I don't personally believe that will happen). I'd love to see that. But paying this guy 15% of the cap simply because its a "QB league" and that "its just what you do" is one of the dumbest arguments I can fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    Who said anything about Zeke? You said committing 15% of the salary cap to the QB position is how it works and if "you don't like it, find another sport". That's straight jibberish and I gave you data that proved it. By the way, I am also against making Zeke the highest paid RB in the league, although I can stomach that more than giving Dak $30mm+ annually. Why? The difference is Zeke is actually elite at his position.

And Dallas has 2-3 years to figure it out. Dak is signed for this upcoming season and can be franchised in 2020/21 and 2021/22. Those salaries are steep, projected to be $32mm in 2020 and almost $39mm in 2021 so there is a significant cost to the Cowboys for dragging their feet. But it does allow them two additional drafts and off-seasons to explore their options, which I whole-heartedly support. And Dak is still 26 and has plenty of room of growth in his development. He could sign a Carson Wentz type of deal and make it worth it (I don't personally believe that will happen). I'd love to see that. But paying this guy 15% of the cap simply because its a "QB league" and that "its just what you do" is one of the dumbest arguments I can fathom.
    Do you read analytics much? Read the article in Fivethirtyeight on Zeke's expected points added and Zeke's expected wins added. You might be shocked to find out he barely adds a half win a year vs. a replacement level RB and furthermore although you mistake his workhorse like success (lots of carries and sturdy) he is actually no better than replacement level on 3rd and short, 4th and short and inside the 10 yard line. Dak and Amari have a far bigger outcome on team wins. Your argument is flawed - elite RBs dont mean **** in a sport where the difference in wins added from an elite RB vs a replacement level RB are trivial. I would rather pay Dak 35 than Zeke 10. Cooper Rush and Zeke wouldnt be as good as Dak and Tony Pollard.

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post

"zeke is elite at his position" who cares. its not a rb league and ole zeke has over 2k touches in his college and brief nfl career and stats say thats when a rb starts to decline.

not paying zeke is the way to go. you can ***** about paying dak all you want. but when mahomes gets 42.5 and all the divas want a raise or they will hold out and dak shows up to work every day honoring his contract, it will be a steal.

and actually the ideal way to go is hope a deal isnt done with zeke by the start of the season. dak shines even vs inferior competition proving we dont need zeke. we can then trade zeke and dak has the rest of the year to keep proving it if he wants to get paid. if he does prove it then hes going to want more than the 30-35 he should get but thats the risk you run.

id rather have dak, a rb by committee, cooper, eventually gallup, lve and smith, awuzie, woods all signed to new deals, maybe jones if there is room. than to insert zeke into that, remove dak and have some other guy at qb.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Do you read analytics much? Read the article in Fivethirtyeight on Zeke's expected points added and Zeke's expected wins added. You might be shocked to find out he barely adds a half win a year vs. a replacement level RB and furthermore although you mistake his workhorse like success (lots of carries and sturdy) he is actually no better than replacement level on 3rd and short, 4th and short and inside the 10 yard line. Dak and Amari have a far bigger outcome on team wins. Your argument is flawed - elite RBs dont mean **** in a sport where the difference in wins added from an elite RB vs a replacement level RB are trivial. I would rather pay Dak 35 than Zeke 10. Cooper Rush and Zeke wouldnt be as good as Dak and Tony Pollard.
    I don't subscribe to the notion that experts can see into the future. But I do look at analytics from past seasons and those all say that Zeke is elite. But that is all besides the point, as in my prior post I said that I don't want to pay Zeke either. RBs are replaceable, as shown by the Le'Veon Bell and James Conner situation in Pittsburgh, and that's why they get paid a third of what QBs do. However, giving Zeke his $10 allows the team to keep Amari as well, and provides flexibility for future deals. If Dak gets $35mm, its going to be tough to fit Amari and Byron Jones in. Are you still comfortable giving Dak that much knowing Amari plays elsewhere in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    "zeke is elite at his position" who cares. its not a rb league and ole zeke has over 2k touches in his college and brief nfl career and stats say thats when a rb starts to decline.

not paying zeke is the way to go. you can ***** about paying dak all you want. but when mahomes gets 42.5 and all the divas want a raise or they will hold out and dak shows up to work every day honoring his contract, it will be a steal.

and actually the ideal way to go is hope a deal isnt done with zeke by the start of the season. dak shines even vs inferior competition proving we dont need zeke. we can then trade zeke and dak has the rest of the year to keep proving it if he wants to get paid. if he does prove it then hes going to want more than the 30-35 he should get but thats the risk you run.

id rather have dak, a rb by committee, cooper, eventually gallup, lve and smith, awuzie, woods all signed to new deals, maybe jones if there is room. than to insert zeke into that, remove dak and have some other guy at qb.
    I can get behind that argument. And it does sound like you're okay with not giving Dak a new massive deal before this season and waiting to see what he does this year. And I agree. There is always the risk that he plays so well that he price goes up, but, overall, that's a good problem to have. If you're giving the guy that kind of money and allowing really good players to leave because they no longer fit under the cap, you should be sure he's THE guy. Is anyone really comfortable calling Dak that at this point in time?

The starters only had one series, but Pollard looked pretty good. As did Gallup. Witten still has good hands. I liked that Dak was throwing deeper passes. Maher is still a little concerning. He seems to miss at least one every game. Mike White did not look good with the second unit.

I liked that the Cowboys and Rams both went with their traditional uniforms. Those are the best versions and I wish they'd just stick to those.

Why won't we just sign Matt Bryant to kick and call it good? Maher has a big leg, but Bryant is an elite kicker and one of the best of all time. Sign the dude already

The Cowboys will probably end up cutting some player that's really talented and some other team will snatch them up.

Justin Phillips made an impressive grab for an interception. This was following last week where Luke Gifford also had an impressive interception. Cedric Wilson looked good last week, but was injured and this week Devin Smith looked good. The Cowboys are stacked at corner, but Olumba looked really good yesterday turning around and knocking that ball down.

A great majority of the games last year were decided by less than a touchdown. If the kicking woes continue, the Cowboys might just lose some games based on field goals. Maher even looked shaky on the extra points. One of the extra points, it was going wide and barely got in.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819