Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Looking back, do you remember we picked Randy Gregory instead of Frank Clark and Trey Flowers. And Chaz Green rather than Danielle Hunter. I guess it's not an exact science. But, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. We almost picked Johnny Manziel over Zach Martin. In the past, we picked Marcus Spears when Aaron Rodgers was on the board. And Jerry Jones famously regretted picking Greg Ellis over Randy Moss, which led him for years to give away first rounders for what he hoped would be stud wide receivers.

remember when we picked zeke elliot over bosa even with his injuries who would have gave us leverage to not pay tank big money and/or trade him. guess it doesnt matter because dallas isnt going to give 25 year old zeke with all the tread on his body a five year extension. they will low ball him next off-season in hopes he holds out so they can trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    woods is the free safety so we all need to accept this and move on. there is a huge reason they didnt give earl the money he wanted and its not because we have to pay everyone here. you cant have studs everywhere and richard actually needs an enforcer/box safety for this team
    Woods is a budding star, so I like our secondary. The only need I see is maybe a stronger defensive tackle. The defense was top notch and we still need to pay Dak, Zeke, Amari, Byron Jones....possibly some of our other studs in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    remember when we picked zeke elliot over bosa even with his injuries who would have gave us leverage to not pay tank big money and/or trade him. guess it doesnt matter because dallas isnt going to give 25 year old zeke with all the tread on his body a five year extension. they will low ball him next off-season in hopes he holds out so they can trade him.
    It's always interesting the what ifs of the draft. NFL Total Access had this segment about the ripple effect of one team's picks on a dozen teams fortunes. The Jaguars who had Bortles decided to pick Fournette instead of Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. If they had picked Mahomes, then the Chiefs would not be the offense they are or the Texans would not have Watson. In the short term, Zeke is huge for the team, helping control the clock in 2016 to cover up for that defense in 2016, but I don't know how much he has in the long run. Zeke gets a lot of touches and hard hits. If he goes down, then there's a dropoff. I like what the Saints had the last few years, two running backs that could spell each other and Payton was smart enough to go after Kamara, even though it was not a need at the time. He just happened to have scouted him and saw talent. Also, what would this team have looked like if we had gone with Jerry's pick of Johnny Manziel instead of Zack Martin. They were this close to turning in the card for Johnny.

Mel Kiper has in his mock draft defensive tackle Khalen Saunders. CBS sports floated Jonathan Abraham. I am sure someone very talented will drop if over rated quarterbacks get picked earlier, then Stephen Jones would be tempted to go up or might just have someone unexpected fall into his lap. I still believe in best player available versus need because of the Marcus Spears over Aaron Rodgers pick or not picking Randy Moss. Also, sometimes teams don't show their cards by showing too much interest (like the Patriots). But, here's the prospects that have visited the Cowboys so far:

Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State (PRI)
    Ben Banogu, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, TCU (LOC)
    David Blough, QB, Purdue (LOC)
    Blace Brown, CB, Troy (PRO)
    L.J. Collier, DE/3-4DE, TCU (LOC)
    Jamal Davis, OLB, Akron (PRI)
    Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State (SR)
    Jon Duhart, WR, Old Dominion (EW)
    Jaylon Ferguson^, DE/3-4OLB, Louisiana Tech (PRO, PRI)
    Dre Greenlaw, OLB, Arkansas (PRI)
    Jalen Guyton, WR, North Texas (LOC)
    Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri (PRI)
    Terrill Hanks, OLB, New Mexico State (WOR)
    Mecole Hardman, WR, Georgia (PRI)
    Damien Harris, RB, Alabama (PRI)
    Cole Holcomb, OLB, North Carolina (PRI)
    Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas (LOC)
    Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor (PRI)
    Isaiah Johnson^, CB, Houston (COM, PRO)
    Jon'Vea Johnson, WR, Toledo (PRI)
    Kingsley Keke^, DT/3-4DE, Texas A&M (COM, LOC)
    Dawson Knox, TE, Ole Miss (PRI)
    Drew Lewis, ILB, Colorado (WOR)
    Daylon Mack, DT/NT, Texas A&M (EW)
    Josh Oliver, TE, San Jose State (WOR)
    Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas (COM)
    Marc Orozco, K, Grambling (WOR)
    Marco Orozco, K, Grambling (LOC)
    Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State (COM)
    Devine Ozigbo^, RB, Nebraska (PRI, LOC)
    Justin Phillips, ILB, Oklahoma State (WOR)
    Tony Pollard, RB, Memphis (PRI)
    Taylor Rapp, S, Washington (PRI)
    Dax Raymond, TE, Utah State (PRI)
    Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina (PRI)
    Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State (WOR)
    Jace Sternberger^, TE, Texas A&M (WOR, PRI)
    Ty Summers, ILB, TCU (LOC)
    Jordan Ta'amu, QB, Ole Miss (PRO)
    Sione Takitaki, OLB, Brigham Young (EW)
    Derrek Thomas, CB, Baylor (LOC)
    Juan Thornhill^, S, Virginia (COM, PRI)
    Xavier Turner, RB, Tarleton State (LOC)
    Jerome Washington, TE, Rutgers (WOR)
    Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State (PRI)
    Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt (WOR)
    Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami (PRI)
    Khari Willis, S, Michigan State (PRI)
    Jordan Wyatt, CB, SMU (LOC)
    To me the most interesting name on that list is RB Damien Harris from Bama. I know this team could use an upgrade at SS, TE, and DT but I have a feeling that if Harris is there in the 2nd they might actually take him. Obviously Zeke is the starter however look at what having two starting caliber RBís did for the Saints offense. Also if you are going to invest big time money in Dak wouldnít it be best to give him as many weapons as possible? Then you have to factor in Zekeís upcoming contract negotiations in a year or so. Having another starting caliber RB on the roster gives the team a ton of leverage. Or it gives the team a stud RB in Zeke that could be traded.

Like I said, Iím not dismissing the need to upgrade Heath, the TEís or the DTís Iím just saying that if Damien Harris is there he might be the best option for the team and would likely be the best player on the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    To me the most interesting name on that list is RB Damien Harris from Bama. I know this team could use an upgrade at SS, TE, and DT but I have a feeling that if Harris is there in the 2nd they might actually take him. Obviously Zeke is the starter however look at what having two starting caliber RBís did for the Saints offense. Also if you are going to invest big time money in Dak wouldnít it be best to give him as many weapons as possible? Then you have to factor in Zekeís upcoming contract negotiations in a year or so. Having another starting caliber RB on the roster gives the team a ton of leverage. Or it gives the team a stud RB in Zeke that could be traded.

Like I said, Iím not dismissing the need to upgrade Heath, the TEís or the DTís Iím just saying that if Damien Harris is there he might be the best option for the team and would likely be the best player on the board.

If there's a guy that falls to the Cowboys that has the potential to be a breakout star, then the Cowboys should just snatch him up. Looking at past drafts, teams usually fall into the trap of picking the most talented guy at their need position instead of the most talented guy that falls to them. Payton actually had other needs more pressing and was already solid at running back, but he had the foresight to see that Kamara was special because he had advanced scouting on him. You're right. I don't think we can pay everyone. The Patriots are really good at figuring out years ahead of time who they want to keep and who might get too expensive so they make those moves. I rarely see them spending huge in free agency or giving up high picks, unless it's for a clear stud. I think they should do as much as possible to help Dak succeed and grow. Saquon is probably the only running back I see that is really worth that huge deal just because he's young, he seems to make 3 guys miss before they even have a shot at him and behind the Cowboy line he'd probably be way better. His talents are being wasted in New York.

Exactly 1 week until the draft. You guys hearing any rumors? Based on what Stephen Jones said they will not be trading up. Iíve also heard that they likely will take a RB by the 4th round.

We need a sproles type of back bad.

Yankees Farm System

It's been reported all day that teams have been calling the Cowboys offering their safeties, trying to snag one of the Cowboys lineman. Most likely L'ael Collins. A safety that was floated was Karl Joseph.

I don't know about this. I'd prefer to protect Dak. If any lineman goes down then suddenly we don't have the depth and Connor Williams was a little shaky. Our draft pick is unproven and will have to learn the ropes.

It's been reported all day that teams have been calling the Cowboys offering their safeties, trying to snag one of the Cowboys lineman. Most likely L'ael Collins. A safety that was floated was Karl Joseph.

I don't know about this. I'd prefer to protect Dak. If any lineman goes down then suddenly we don't have the depth and Connor Williams was a little shaky. Our draft pick is unproven and will have to learn the ropes.
    Yea Iíd rather keep the OL depth and get the 3rd round comp pick than have Karl Joseph. Pass.

Yea Iíd rather keep the OL depth and get the 3rd round comp pick than have Karl Joseph. Pass.

Are there any remaining free agents out there you'd take a flyer on? I notice that Tre Boston is still out there. Here's a partial list of who's still around:

DE Mulhammad Wilkerson
    DT Suh
    DE William Hayes
    DT Danny Shelton
    OT Donald Penn
    CB Morris Claiborne
    S Eric Berry
    S Tre Boston
    WR Michael Crabtree
    OLB Nick Perry
    OLB Shane Ray
    OLB Jamie Collins
    DT Bennie Logan
    DT Corey Liguet
    RB Jay Ajayi

Buck Allen, RB
    Allen Bailey, DL
    Kelvin Benjamin, WR
    Sam Bradford, QB
    Morgan Burnett, S

Johnathan Cyprien, S
    Pierre Garcon, WR
    Gerald Hodges, LB
    Dontrelle Inman, WR
    Jermaine Kearse, WR

Jordan Mills, OT
    Mike Mitchell, S
    Derrick Morgan, DE
    Brock Osweiler, QB

Glover Quin, S

Are there any remaining free agents out there you'd take a flyer on? I notice that Tre Boston is still out there. Here's a partial list of who's still around:

DE Mulhammad Wilkerson
    DT Suh
    DE William Hayes
    DT Danny Shelton
    OT Donald Penn
    CB Morris Claiborne
    S Eric Berry
    S Tre Boston
    WR Michael Crabtree
    OLB Nick Perry
    OLB Shane Ray
    OLB Jamie Collins
    DT Bennie Logan
    DT Corey Liguet
    RB Jay Ajayi

Buck Allen, RB
    Allen Bailey, DL
    Kelvin Benjamin, WR
    Sam Bradford, QB
    Morgan Burnett, S

Johnathan Cyprien, S
    Pierre Garcon, WR
    Gerald Hodges, LB
    Dontrelle Inman, WR
    Jermaine Kearse, WR

Jordan Mills, OT
    Mike Mitchell, S
    Derrick Morgan, DE
    Brock Osweiler, QB

Glover Quin, S
    Honestly the two guys I would take a look at and would consider signing both have injury history. Both would have to take a low dollar 1 year contract because of this injury history but if they are able to stay on the field could be huge bargain signings... Eric Berry and Jay Ajayi.

Honestly the two guys I would take a look at and would consider signing both have injury history. Both would have to take a low dollar 1 year contract because of this injury history but if they are able to stay on the field could be huge bargain signings... Eric Berry and Jay Ajayi.

At this point they might have to take bargain contracts the way Tyronn Matthieu took a below market prove it deal last to gamble on himself. I am actually pretty happy with the roster as is right now. The improvement that can vault them into the championship game is really the passing game. That has to improve drastically if they want to be true contenders. I have no idea how Kellem Moore will be as a coordinator so we'll see. So far Garrett's way wins some game with keeping it close, but to really challenge teams they'd probably have to be able to keep up in a shootout.

On a side note, I am probably the most curious about how Kyler Murray plays in the NFL.

Our defense is good. Iím not worried about that at all. There all young, and now a year older with experience. The defender excites me. Everything... EVERYTHING hinges on dak. Can he be accurate. If dak is good. ( doesnít have to be great... just good) where winning the super bowl.

ESPN is reporting that the Cowboys are working on a contract with Dak and Amari. The numbers floated were maybe 30 million for Dak and 16 million to 18 million for Amari. Though, Stephen Jones might be looking for something lower than that from the way his quotes sound. He said that he'd love to max these guys out, but he has to figure out a way to keep a the winning nucleus together. He also mentioned having plans to extend Zeke, Byron Jones and L'ael Collins. It's kind of a testament to the scouting and evaluation department that we have so many blue chip young players to keep. There was a decade and a half where there were so many misses in the draft that we didn't have to consider keeping our own free agents and how to look outside to get them.

So Dak claims to want to be a Cowboy forever. Then he needs to step up and take a team discount so they can field a competitive team every year. If he breaks the bank then we have to let other players walk.

Zeke was in an altercation in vegas. Handcuffed but not arrested .

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast