Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 166 to 176 of 176
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11,296
    Signed Iloka to 1 year deal. Not the player he was but still upgrade over Heath.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,325
    At 6'4", Iloka is a hard-hitting safety. He doesnt have blazing speed to be a centerfield safety, but has great agility and is able to change direction very well to go make a play.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,960
    I like the signing of Iloka fine. He is a solid safety if not spectacular. He is big though and maybe Richard can use him like a Kam Chancellor-lite. He's a big time upgrade over Heath though. Doubt you'd see Jared Goff running past Iloka because he took a bad angle smh

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Good analysis. If there's an area the Cowboys can improve, it's the team pass rush, more specifically, a consistent force on the other end of Demarcus Lawrence. Lawrence accounts for so much of our pass rush, that I can't fathom what happens if he's not here. The team was 12th in team pass rush last year and had trouble getting pressure on Goff in the playoffs. We don't have a dependable consistent guy on that other side. Randy Gregory when he's showing flashes, he also is not available for stretches. Taco Charlton has only registered 4 sacks in the last several seasons. Quinn was still in the top 20% in the pass rush and defending the run last year. He'll benefit from playing for Richard and Marinelli and playing with the stud linebackers and corners on our team. I am intrigued by a Lawrence/Quinn duo, what that would look like. So far, teams haven't been going crazy trying to outbid the Cowboys on Quinn.

    As for Cobb, I was seeing some clips of Cobb and he's much faster than Beasely and more capable of making the breakout big play. You'd never seen Beasely break a 75 yard run for a touchdown. Since Cobb is more of a speedster, he'd love running on the nice turn at our stadium than the cold hard floors in Green Bay. Cobb ran a similar time to Odell in the combine, so the guy can run. It seems like the Cowboys are quietly upgrading their speed. Most of the receivers, other than Witten, have pretty good game speed. And I read an article that said Byron Jones had one of the best game speed (with pads) not just combine speed. Byron Jones had the fastest game speed among defense backs at 22.11 m.p.h. For comparison Usain Bolt is at 27 m.p.h. and not wearing those heavy pads with lingering bruises of those hits.
    Yea its weird that no other teams have approached the Dolphins about trading for Quinn. Maybe its because he wants a new contract?

    As for Cobb, I think the only thing Beasley does better is his cuts in and out of breaks. His routes are extremely sharp. I mean Cobb is a good route runner Beasley might just be a little better. Other than that though Cobb is better at everything else. He has better hands, hes better after the catch, and hes faster. Im hoping that him being the 3rd WR though will save some wear and tear on his body because the last 3 years he has been a bit injury prone. Cooper and Gallup should still see the majority of the passes. Im also really interested in seeing what Cedric Wilson has. The team was expecting him to make the team last year before he got injured. Hes got good size (62 - 195 lbs) and speed. Hurns is going to need a miracle to make the team.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    they were never rumors to begin with it was talk on a talk show on what should be done and he/they are right. if you dont have a deal done with tank by the draft, send him out. you cant drag this to where he will miss time while paying him. he can be a big boy and sign his tag, get his surgery and be a free agent next year with multiple teams offering money or he can sit out and get significantly less money next year. teams dont care if you get hurt teams dont care if you sit out. they want you to play and they pay you off of your play.

    whats going to be funny is when the owners bend and get rid of the franchise tag in a trade off for longer rookie contracts at less pay say 7 year deals for 1st rounders and 6 year deals for the rest or get nba contract where they own the rights to the players and only said team can pay them their monster deal and the team with those rights says "no thanks"
    Isnt the rule that the Franchise tag can be used for 3 consecutive seasons on all positions except QB? I think QB is the only one where it can be used twice. I could be wrong but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I like the signing of Iloka fine. He is a solid safety if not spectacular. He is big though and maybe Richard can use him like a Kam Chancellor-lite. He's a big time upgrade over Heath though. Doubt you'd see Jared Goff running past Iloka because he took a bad angle smh
    He's good within the box. Becomes more vulnerable in open space. But, within tight quarters he has been able to cover and he'd really help with stopping short yardage situations.

    Looks like there's a bit of a waiting game where DLawrence, Frank Clark and Clowney are all waiting to see how each setting the market and asking for more than the other guy. Next time, I hope Stephen Jones learns to be more proactive on these type of players. His restraint is good in some cases, but his over cautiousness also ends up making him have to pay more in the long run on clear needs.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Yea its weird that no other teams have approached the Dolphins about trading for Quinn. Maybe its because he wants a new contract?

    As for Cobb, I think the only thing Beasley does better is his cuts in and out of breaks. His routes are extremely sharp. I mean Cobb is a good route runner Beasley might just be a little better. Other than that though Cobb is better at everything else. He has better hands, hes better after the catch, and hes faster. Im hoping that him being the 3rd WR though will save some wear and tear on his body because the last 3 years he has been a bit injury prone. Cooper and Gallup should still see the majority of the passes. Im also really interested in seeing what Cedric Wilson has. The team was expecting him to make the team last year before he got injured. Hes got good size (62 - 195 lbs) and speed. Hurns is going to need a miracle to make the team.
    I've noticed that teams have been more skittish on players with a downward trajectory. Maybe, they are using analytics more than in the past. It may benefit the Cowboys in terms of a bargain if Quinn still has a lot left and ends up landing with the Cowboys cheap.

    I'm with you on your take on Cobb vs. Beasely. When healthy, he's actually been way better than Coale. Even last year, when he was healthy against the Bears, you kind of saw what he was capable of. He tore the Bears apart, running 142 yards on them and breaking out for a 75 yard run for a TD. Cobb's more capable of breaking tackles as his run after the catch is double Coales. Cobb's limitations came mainly when he was playing with injuries. There have been studies that suggest players get more injured in cold weather (equipment have less give causing greater force of impact, etc.) so Cobb might actually enjoy playing in Jerry's very nice stadium. Beasely's bread and butter is on those quick outs and quick in-breaking routes, but it also made the Cowboys offense more predictable. Coale was limited to those short yardage plays so defenses know where to guard him. He was limited to those and rarely was able to go up down field. Cobb is also more able to catch contested balls in between defenders. Besides that Cobb used to be a running back. If Kellem Moore wants to be creative, he could use him all over the field, even in the backfield. They've been dying to put Amari Cooper more in the slot where it's a clear mismatch...but, couldn't with Caole there since Coale's pretty much limited to a certain area. I can see Kellen having Amari line up in the slot and forcing the best corner to travel there where they'd hate to have to defend the slot because it's out of position for them and you have to defend more angles. If they don't have the best corner travel there, then Amari will burn whoever's there, who undoubtedly would be too slow. Cobb would travel to the outside and take the slot corner, who will also be out of position and not liking to defend the outside. Cobb would also help in the red zone. Half of his touchdowns in the last 3 years were in the red zone. He's really good at finding soft spots in the end zone. Rodgers loved throwing to Cobb.

    One of the guys that can take the biggest leaps is Gallup. He started to show his high ceiling towards the end of the season and if he continues to elevate, then it's too much for defenders to handle. My only curiosity is Tavon Austin. The guy has speed that made teams intrigued and he showed a couple of times that it was effective, but then nothing consistent ever happens. Anyhow, Dak will really have fun throwing to this group. They have significantly upgraded the natural game speed of the receiving corps.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    He's good within the box. Becomes more vulnerable in open space. But, within tight quarters he has been able to cover and he'd really help with stopping short yardage situations.

    Looks like there's a bit of a waiting game where DLawrence, Frank Clark and Clowney are all waiting to see how each setting the market and asking for more than the other guy. Next time, I hope Stephen Jones learns to be more proactive on these type of players. His restraint is good in some cases, but his over cautiousness also ends up making him have to pay more in the long run on clear needs.
    You mean like with Dak? They could likely sign him now for $25 mil/per or wait until next off season when it will cost closer to $35/per. Personally Id still rather they wait until next off season to resign Dak.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I've noticed that teams have been more skittish on players with a downward trajectory. Maybe, they are using analytics more than in the past. It may benefit the Cowboys in terms of a bargain if Quinn still has a lot left and ends up landing with the Cowboys cheap.

    I'm with you on your take on Cobb vs. Beasely. When healthy, he's actually been way better than Coale. Even last year, when he was healthy against the Bears, you kind of saw what he was capable of. He tore the Bears apart, running 142 yards on them and breaking out for a 75 yard run for a TD. Cobb's more capable of breaking tackles as his run after the catch is double Coales. Cobb's limitations came mainly when he was playing with injuries. There have been studies that suggest players get more injured in cold weather (equipment have less give causing greater force of impact, etc.) so Cobb might actually enjoy playing in Jerry's very nice stadium. Beasely's bread and butter is on those quick outs and quick in-breaking routes, but it also made the Cowboys offense more predictable. Coale was limited to those short yardage plays so defenses know where to guard him. He was limited to those and rarely was able to go up down field. Cobb is also more able to catch contested balls in between defenders. Besides that Cobb used to be a running back. If Kellem Moore wants to be creative, he could use him all over the field, even in the backfield. They've been dying to put Amari Cooper more in the slot where it's a clear mismatch...but, couldn't with Caole there since Coale's pretty much limited to a certain area. I can see Kellen having Amari line up in the slot and forcing the best corner to travel there where they'd hate to have to defend the slot because it's out of position for them and you have to defend more angles. If they don't have the best corner travel there, then Amari will burn whoever's there, who undoubtedly would be too slow. Cobb would travel to the outside and take the slot corner, who will also be out of position and not liking to defend the outside. Cobb would also help in the red zone. Half of his touchdowns in the last 3 years were in the red zone. He's really good at finding soft spots in the end zone. Rodgers loved throwing to Cobb.

    One of the guys that can take the biggest leaps is Gallup. He started to show his high ceiling towards the end of the season and if he continues to elevate, then it's too much for defenders to handle. My only curiosity is Tavon Austin. The guy has speed that made teams intrigued and he showed a couple of times that it was effective, but then nothing consistent ever happens. Anyhow, Dak will really have fun throwing to this group. They have significantly upgraded the natural game speed of the receiving corps.
    I think Tavon is going to be used all over the place. He should continue to be used as a gadget guy but whenever hes in the game he should be in motion. He just had to stay healthy.

    The guy Im really interested in seeing is Cedrick Wilson. The team was expecting him to make the team last year until he got injured. Hes got good size and decent speed. According to his scouting report he also is equally as good in the slot or on the outside. His dad also played pro football.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    You mean like with Dak? They could likely sign him now for $25 mil/per or wait until next off season when it will cost closer to $35/per. Personally Id still rather they wait until next off season to resign Dak.
    No. I didn't mean with Dak. I am still uncertain about him. His numbers last year placed him at 18th or so in the rankings and he hasn't progressed as much throwing the medium or deep balls. They are better off seeing how he develops. I meant for guys like Lawrence where he was already balling and barring injury was only going to get better.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I think Tavon is going to be used all over the place. He should continue to be used as a gadget guy but whenever hes in the game he should be in motion. He just had to stay healthy.

    The guy Im really interested in seeing is Cedrick Wilson. The team was expecting him to make the team last year until he got injured. Hes got good size and decent speed. According to his scouting report he also is equally as good in the slot or on the outside. His dad also played pro football.
    The way to use Tavon is to have him go deep and we didn't do enough of that last year. If you see some of the tape on him, he's really good in open space and has some really nice moves. He relies on his speed. When they signed him, they were saying how they were going to do all these different things with him, then the season starts and we see the same pound the rock, dink and dunk check down offense.

    Yeah, I would love it if Cedrick Wilson really blossoms. There's always some overlooked guys that through hard work and coaching blow up and become very important pieces. I hope we have the right mentors on offense.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •