Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

2019 Dallas Cowboys Offseason Thread

Time to start our offseason discussion I suppose. I think the year started out pretty badly, but after the Cooper trade we were among the best teams in the NFL. We are the youngest team in the NFL still so we have a very bright future.

My hopes for the offseason:

- New offensive coordinator that focuses on the strengths of Dak Prescott more fully (see other thread for discussion on SL firing).

- Sign Earl Thomas. Jeff Heath has started for us for long enough. Time for him to be our backup safety (where he becomes an asset instead of a liability as a starter) and all-star ST player.

- Resign Lawrence. Probably our biggest priority this year.

- Restructure Sean Lee deal. He won't be our starter anymore, but we still need a 3rd LB to rotate in an out.

What do you guys think? What did I miss?

My only question is whether ET is possible anymore with bringing In Cooper.

A lot of mouths to feed these next two years and if you bring in ET I feel like that means youd eventually have to let one of Jones, Lawrence, Zeke walk.

And I wouldnt like any of those swaps given ETs age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

I wish we had picked up CJ Anderson. He was picked up for cheap and really looked better than Gurley in that game. Zeke is putting a lot of miles. Would be nice if there was a second very capable back. I still would like to figure out why the defense stunk it up the last game. They looked really strong for much of the season, especially against the Saints. As far as the linebackers, you can never have enough depth there. That was one of the big reasons the defense took a step forward this year. This is still a very young athletic team and it's probably a top 7 team. The biggest step is if the offense can rise up the ranks. Is Jerry just adamant on keeping Garrett? Is there some kind of genius coaching prospect out there?

I saw a few shows that said that Antonio Brown would likely go for a second round pick. I wonder where he'll end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Time to start our offseason discussion I suppose. I think the year started out pretty badly, but after the Cooper trade we were among the best teams in the NFL. We are the youngest team in the NFL still so we have a very bright future.

- New offensive coordinator that focuses on the strengths of Dak Prescott more fully (see other thread for discussion on SL firing).

- Sign Earl Thomas. Jeff Heath has started for us for long enough. Time for him to be our backup safety (where he becomes an asset instead of a liability as a starter) and all-star ST player.

- Restructure Sean Lee deal. He won't be our starter anymore, but we still need a 3rd LB to rotate in an out.

You nailed this. Agree with each item to the max

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post

- Well we have the new OC although Garrett will still be the primary play career so I dont expect much change in the style of play. If anything they probably get more conservative.

- As for Earl, I still dont see the Cowboys showing any interest. Not unless Earl is willing to sign for a really cheap deal (which we all know he wont). Stephen has shown that he has no interest in signed 30+ year old free agents, especially one coming off a major injury (and a history of being injury prone). Earl wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL, that isnt happening in Dallas.

Besides his age the main reason that wont happen is because besides Lawrence the Cowboys also have to resign Byron Jones and Amari Cooper this off season. They are also on the verge of having to resign Dak and Zeke too.

Lee has mentioned possible retirement however has also mentioned taking a pay cut. I bet he takes a pay cut and turns as the primary backup LB.

- One really good thing I heard this past week is that Travis Fredrick is expected to participate in the off season program. If he can rebuild his strength and be ready for training camp that would be HUGE! Id really like to see them give Looney a shot at the LG spot and let Connor Williams and Collins battle it out for the starting RT spot.

- As for the draft, Id obviously go with BPA at each spot however the team needs a #1 TE. Jarwin, Swaim, and Schwartz showed flashes however all are really #2 level TEs. This team needs an alpha TE. Id also like to see them upgrade the back RB spot. Bring in a guy that is a different style of RB from Zeke. We dont need a bruiser like Rob Smith. We need a guy that can catch passes, split out a d line up at WR and can return Kicks/punts. A guy that is not just Zekes backup but can also be on the field with Zeke.

The team will also need to find a replacement for Beasley. Id like to see Beasley stay but I dont think they will be able to afford to keep him. Hes 30 years old and someone will pay him decent money to come in and be their slot WR (my bet is he goes to New England).

- surprise dark-horse player to return... Dez Bryant

- Oh yea, they need a new kicker too

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    - Well we have the new OC although Garrett will still be the primary play career so I dont expect much change in the style of play. If anything they probably get more conservative.

- As for Earl, I still dont see the Cowboys showing any interest. Not unless Earl is willing to sign for a really cheap deal (which we all know he wont). Stephen has shown that he has no interest in signed 30+ year old free agents, especially one coming off a major injury (and a history of being injury prone). Earl wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL, that isnt happening in Dallas.

Besides his age the main reason that wont happen is because besides Lawrence the Cowboys also have to resign Byron Jones and Amari Cooper this off season. They are also on the verge of having to resign Dak and Zeke too.

Lee has mentioned possible retirement however has also mentioned taking a pay cut. I bet he takes a pay cut and turns as the primary backup LB.

- One really good thing I heard this past week is that Travis Fredrick is expected to participate in the off season program. If he can rebuild his strength and be ready for training camp that would be HUGE! Id really like to see them give Looney a shot at the LG spot and let Connor Williams and Collins battle it out for the starting RT spot.

- As for the draft, Id obviously go with BPA at each spot however the team needs a #1 TE. Jarwin, Swaim, and Schwartz showed flashes however all are really #2 level TEs. This team needs an alpha TE. Id also like to see them upgrade the back RB spot. Bring in a guy that is a different style of RB from Zeke. We dont need a bruiser like Rob Smith. We need a guy that can catch passes, split out a d line up at WR and can return Kicks/punts. A guy that is not just Zekes backup but can also be on the field with Zeke.

The team will also need to find a replacement for Beasley. Id like to see Beasley stay but I dont think they will be able to afford to keep him. Hes 30 years old and someone will pay him decent money to come in and be their slot WR (my bet is he goes to New England).

- surprise dark-horse player to return... Dez Bryant

- Oh yea, they need a new kicker too
    Completely agree aside from Dez Bryant returning.. I think theres a zero % chance that happens.

Yankees Farm System

Oh yea and add Jaylon Smith to the guys who will need to be resigned before the end of next season.

Garrett doesnt seem to be getting that extension they are talking about so the OC isnt coming from the outside. JG is finally in a prove it year.

1. Lawrence, Cooper, maybe Dak and Zeke
    2. Let Byron Jones prove it because he looked really bad the last 6 games, no need to pay him yet
    3. i'm not concerned at TE. You cant pay everyone so hoping to find another stud you have to eventually pay makes little sense, find another #2 and keep rotating. Im looking for position production not individual production
    4. ET isnt happening he wants to be paid first and play here second
    5. If a corner is there that Richard wants in the draft, take him. Again cant pay everyone, going to lose somebody.
    6. Find a DT in the draft either a Beckner Jr or a Dylan Mack. One who can play the run but get the to QB. Neither are never going to be Aaron Donald but we arent in a position to draft an Aaron Donald even if we had a first round pick.
    7. DE. Gregory cant play the run and Taco is a bust. Fowler may be weak against the run too but if i'm throwing any free money at a FA he would come first.

We probably can see needs at many positions (safety, defensive tackle, tight end, backup QB, backup RB), but really the offense just needs to get better. This is a good young team and they actually should get much more credit than they've gotten. The 4 teams in the NFC and AFC championships are elite teams and deserve to be there and I feel like the teams in this year's playoffs seem better than last years. The offense was the strength for a while from maybe 2013-16. Seeing how these great offensive minds in the NFC and AFC championships were able to really figure out the opponents' weaknesses in the playoffs just makes me think that the Cowboys need somebody to make the most of the talent already here. There are some really dynamic pieces on here. The Cowboy receivers and Zeke are actually better athletes than what the Patriots have, but just watching how methodical and fundamental the Patriots were at dissecting the other teams... If the Cowboys want to take the next step, that offense has to get up to be a top 5 offense...and the defense needs to at least play like the top defense we saw against the Saints and not the one run over by the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    We probably can see needs at many positions (safety, defensive tackle, tight end, backup QB, backup RB), but really the offense just needs to get better. This is a good young team and they actually should get much more credit than they've gotten. The 4 teams in the NFC and AFC championships are elite teams and deserve to be there and I feel like the teams in this year's playoffs seem better than last years. The offense was the strength for a while from maybe 2013-16. Seeing how these great offensive minds in the NFC and AFC championships were able to really figure out the opponents' weaknesses in the playoffs just makes me think that the Cowboys need somebody to make the most of the talent already here. There are some really dynamic pieces on here. The Cowboy receivers and Zeke are actually better athletes than what the Patriots have, but just watching how methodical and fundamental the Patriots were at dissecting the other teams... If the Cowboys want to take the next step, that offense has to get up to be a top 5 offense...and the defense needs to at least play like the top defense we saw against the Saints and not the one run over by the Rams.
    The Pats are always very strong up the middle as far as pass catchers. They almost never go after outside the numbers receivers. They want great pass catching runners, tight ends, and slot receivers.

Thats actually what Dallas would be best emulating, and why I fully disagree with Mr. Farts. Dak is at his best with a great TE. Thats a spot we should always try and have a premium player at the position. So I would definitely try and draft one high up to start developing him now. Also we very much need a James White type of player to pair with Zeke so we can not completely run him into the ground.

Yankees Farm System

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    The Pats are always very strong up the middle as far as pass catchers. They almost never go after outside the numbers receivers. They want great pass catching runners, tight ends, and slot receivers.

Thats actually what Dallas would be best emulating, and why I fully disagree with Mr. Farts. Dak is at his best with a great TE. Thats a spot we should always try and have a premium player at the position. So I would definitely try and draft one high up to start developing him now. Also we very much need a James White type of player to pair with Zeke so we can not completely run him into the ground.

They were especially impressive this year. People thought that this year with the lack of athletes at wide receiver, it was sure that it would finally catch up to the Patriots, but the Patriots seem to make due. And Gronk wasn't even himself. The other offenses that went far in the playoffs had more of a quick strike capability to go deep. A tight end would really make a difference. Witten, for years, was that sure handed guy you could count on. Not the fastest guys, but he had one of the best hands. It does seem like the Patriots are very good at teaching their guys, even the guys that are less physically gifted of playing their role.

Zeke was allegedly in an altercation with a Vegas DJ, with Dak stepping in to mediate. But, it's being reported that it was the DJ that was allegedly baiting Zeke.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Zeke was allegedly in an altercation with a Vegas DJ, with Dak stepping in to mediate. But, it's being reported that it was the DJ that was allegedly baiting Zeke.
    I heard that too. Apparently this guys Instagram page is full of him trying to provoke other pro athletes. I heard that when he noticed Zeke and Dak he started yelling F*** the Cowboys and being real derogatory towards Zeke and yelling profanities at him. Zeke needs to be smarter than that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I heard that too. Apparently this guys Instagram page is full of him trying to provoke other pro athletes. I heard that when he noticed Zeke and Dak he started yelling F*** the Cowboys and being real derogatory towards Zeke and yelling profanities at him. Zeke needs to be smarter than that though.
    Unfortunately, celebrities seem to be targets for people with agendas like this who somehow feel the need to get d list viral fame off of celebrities, even if it's negative attention. There was this woman who pretended to be into Tarantino coming on to him hard that he invited her back to his place. Once inside, she started instagramming pictures of the stuff in his house and making fun of him like she would never be into someone that looks like him. Or that guy that used to provoke celebrities like kissing Will Smith, spraying Tom Cruise with a microphone that was actually a squirt gun...or climbing under actresses dresses or lifting them in a bear hug. Nothing good seems to come for celebrities at a night club. You almost have to be like Jay Z to go out with a team of security.

Well, I guess it is true what Dak said that he and Zeke really are best friends. Camaraderie between teammates seem to help on field chemistry somehow.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast