Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    I was actually thinking the same. The options out there as a replacement are not great. McVay got the same WTF??? When he was hired so Iím willing to give this a shot over some of the other options. If he blows, it shouldnít be hard to move on from him and itís something we could start addressing before all the young offensive minds are taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know Jerry mentioned that they would like to extend Garrett however Iím wondering if they actually do it. If he REALLY does want Sean Payton his best bet is to let Garrett play out the final year of his contract. Sean Paytonís contract with the Saints also has just 1 more year left on it. If Brees retires by then there is a good chance Payton walks and with him still having family living in Dallas it would be Jerryís best chance to land the coach he let get away.

And one of the biggest things Iíve always heard about Moore was that he could dissect anything on the field, he just lacked the arm strength to do anything about it.

I think that is pretty much true. If you think back to our 2015 season he actually moved our offense along much more efficiently than any other QB we ran out there (Weeden and Cassell). He wasn't amazing or anything, but the offense was a lot better with him and his last NFL game action resulted in a 400+ yard game and 3 TDs, not terrible. His arm and overall body build was never going to be a good NFL starter though. His mind is, supposedly, his real strength.

This is for those of you who'd like a bit of insight into Kellen Moore as an offensive mind (at least what he was thinking in 2012):

I think Sean McVay being younger than a lot of players has caused a shift in the GMs thinking around the league. They are all looking for their Sean McVay. I think maybe he's just a prodigy. Just like Mahones was a success right off the bat, doesn't mean that some QB comes in that's young would be able to duplicate that success. A lot of teams will hire a young coach thinking he's their Sean McVay and it doesn't turn out like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I think Sean McVay being younger than a lot of players has caused a shift in the GMs thinking around the league. They are all looking for their Sean McVay. I think maybe he's just a prodigy. Just like Mahones was a success right off the bat, doesn't mean that some QB comes in that's young would be able to duplicate that success. A lot of teams will hire a young coach thinking he's their Sean McVay and it doesn't turn out like that.
    I think the game is starting to get a lot more analytical in a way that baseball did the past decade. I think a lot of searching for younger people is in a sense purging out the stubborn old minds in the same way. Those who embrace pass to run concepts to take advantage of the new nfl will thrive. Itís absolutely no shock to me that New England is successful on a year in year out basis. I bet they have near top offensive efficiencies based on the cap dollars dedicated to their offense. Brady also helps with his sweet heart deals he gives them as well.

Yankees Farm System

I think the game is starting to get a lot more analytical in a way that baseball did the past decade. I think a lot of searching for younger people is in a sense purging out the stubborn old minds in the same way. Those who embrace pass to run concepts to take advantage of the new nfl will thrive. Itís absolutely no shock to me that New England is successful on a year in year out basis. I bet they have near top offensive efficiencies based on the cap dollars dedicated to their offense. Brady also helps with his sweet heart deals he gives them as well.

Good point. Bellichek likes to play it close to the vest about his use of analytics, but the Patriot way of drafting and in game decisions mirrors a philosophy heavily based on analytics. They go for stuff that has the highest probability for success averaged out over time. All the teams have some sort of analytics, but they don't adhere to it as much as the Patriots have for a long period of time. They trade 4th and 5th round picks, who tend to be unproven players for proven veterans. They cut expensive players, even if they are in their prime. They like to have a stable of rotating running backs, not only to keep them fresh, but also to keep from over relying on one back. They invest heavily in attacking the middle of the field because that's usually where the weakest guys on pass coverage are. The wide receivers on both ends usually have to go up against the team's best corners, but in the middle is where the enemy tends to be the weakest. In a lot of ways, the Patriot way is almost the opposite of what the Cowboys do. At least in the past, the Cowboys have fallen in love with players and given them sweetheart deals that the Patriots would never give. Not saying the Patriot way is the end all and be all because they are vulnerable to teams that can stop the run or stuff in the middle. Also, quick strike teams that speedsters who can attack their corners have found success. But, certainly, being well versed in analytics and knowing how to use that to attack the enemy at their weakest would really benefit. The Rams management also seemed to be ahead of the curve. They had a list of coaching candidates that ended up being the hottest coaches in the league--but the Rams were thinking of those guys before almost everyone else...then teams started looking at who was on their list and hiring those guys. Sean McVay actually had the most impressive presentation in the interviews, but his young age at the time was the biggest worry. But, the Rams went with their gut. Look at what Sean McVay did, he pretty much figured out what the Cowboys vulnerability was attacked that, while limiting the Rams weaknesses. The Patriots realize that in the salary cap era, you can't have super expensive players at each position. But, they really know how to coach em up and teach players to do their role well and play smart. I don't think the Cowboys should just look for guys to be creative for creativity's sake...it's really creativity that's effective. The Cowboys ground and pound while not turning over the ball in the ultra conservative pass game is already effective in winning a lot of games. The Chiefs seem to never be out of any games...they can be down two touchdowns and quickly make that up in the fourth. They probably were a little impatient in the first half going for the home run instead of checking down...and their defense just gives up too many points. The Cowboys have fast guys like Amari and Gallup who are capable of catching those deep balls, but if they get a reliable tight end...and Beasely plays well, they can have the high percentage stuff and then the possibility of the deep threat if that's needed. But, the Cowboys were probably one of the most conservative deep pass teams, while also having a decline in stuff in the middle of the field this season versus 2016. Not a great recipe for red zone or putting a lot of points consistently.

It sounds like Kris Richard will stay on under Marinelli, unless Jerry Jones has some other master plan we don't know about.

I just saw on ESPN that Kellen Moore is expected to be the OC...might even be calling plays. I hope he'll be a good OC. Not as much heat as when Sean McVay was interviewing...a lot of sources at the time were saying how impressive McVay was in those meetings.

Unfortunately the Cowboys are the anti-analytics team. They are a stubborn team that believes in the dogma of identity and in the Cowboys case identity means "imposing their will" via the run regardless of 8 or 9 in the box. They dont try to exploit weaknesses but instead overtly challenge the strength of the defense in a stubborn manner. Any way you slice it this team needs to have more explosive plays on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Need to get away completely from any base Garrett philosophy whatsoever! "impose your will" "ground and pound" is a losing formula in modern NFL. Quit running into a 9 man box. Play action on first down, moving the pocket, quick pace hurry up as a base set, run out of a RPO as a base set alternative. 1990 pro style offense doesnt get it done in 2019 nor does it play into Dak's skill set.
    Not to say I was correct but...pat myself on the back. Kellen Moore has been a delight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12