Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Will Dirk pass Wilt?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    5 83.33%
  • no

    1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,349

    Will Dirk pass Wilt in total points?

    i'm gonna say he won't. he looks like he has nothing left, and barely musters up 3 ppg. i don't see it happening

    here's their point totals as of today

    Wilt 31,419
    Dirk 31,230

    so if he plays 35 of the remaining 40 games, he needs to avg 5.5 ppg to pass him. the more games he misses, the more he has to avg. not looking good...
    Last edited by hidalgo; 01-11-2019 at 10:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    1,893
    No way. I am a big Mav/Dirk fan but the poor guy cant shoot anymore. Carlisle is being charitable playing him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,349
    i'm a big Dirk fan too. i thought this would have been easy for him, cause he was so close, but since he came back this season he's just got absolutely nothing left. he's spent

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dallas/Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,125
    Unless something changes I donít see it happening. Still hoping he does though 🙏🏽 GO MAVS!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,225
    I gave Dirk the benefit of the doubt before I looked at his numbers this season and his recent statlines. How is he average 29.4% shooting from the floor this season? He's 1-17 in his last three games!

    I don't think he's going to do it based on recent play and season numbers, but there was a promising stretch there it looks like at the end of the year to the first game of 2019 where he scored 7, 11, 6 and 6 over a four-game stretch (it's crazy to me that I'm calling that "promising" for Dirk freaking Nowitzki) and shot competently from the floor. If he could just do that and average like 7-8 points a game, he could easily pass it.

    It would only take him 27 games to get there if he could average 7 a night, but he's in such a slump now that he's going to have to really climb out of it to have any kind of shot. That being said, he's Dirk. I've got to think in the last 40 games of his career, he'll find a few moments to show the flashes of brilliance he was famous for. And the Mavs are clinging to that last thread of playoff chances; once they're clearly out of the postseason picture, this could become a Dirk farewell tour and they could play him way more to help him pass Wilt.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I gave Dirk the benefit of the doubt before I looked at his numbers this season and his recent statlines. How is he average 29.4% shooting from the floor this season? He's 1-17 in his last three games!

    I don't think he's going to do it based on recent play and season numbers, but there was a promising stretch there it looks like at the end of the year to the first game of 2019 where he scored 7, 11, 6 and 6 over a four-game stretch (it's crazy to me that I'm calling that "promising" for Dirk freaking Nowitzki) and shot competently from the floor. If he could just do that and average like 7-8 points a game, he could easily pass it.

    It would only take him 27 games to get there if he could average 7 a night, but he's in such a slump now that he's going to have to really climb out of it to have any kind of shot. That being said, he's Dirk. I've got to think in the last 40 games of his career, he'll find a few moments to show the flashes of brilliance he was famous for. And the Mavs are clinging to that last thread of playoff chances; once they're clearly out of the postseason picture, this could become a Dirk farewell tour and they could play him way more to help him pass Wilt.
    The problem is though he is taking value add bench minutes from Maxi Kleber and Powell either of which have been far superior. If Dirk cant hit his 3's at least at a 30%+ rate he is of NO use, sad as it is to say. I love that dude but....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    The problem is though he is taking value add bench minutes from Maxi Kleber and Powell either of which have been far superior. If Dirk cant hit his 3's at least at a 30%+ rate he is of NO use, sad as it is to say. I love that dude but....
    Yeah, and if Dallas was capable of making the postseason, I would agree those guys deserve the minutes. But they're not, and at some point you have to think winning games is no longer a priority. He's the greatest player in franchise history. If he wants to pass Wilt, and the team wants him to pass Wilt, they'll make it happen. If he doesn't care, then it won't.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, and if Dallas was capable of making the postseason, I would agree those guys deserve the minutes. But they're not, and at some point you have to think winning games is no longer a priority. He's the greatest player in franchise history. If he wants to pass Wilt, and the team wants him to pass Wilt, they'll make it happen. If he doesn't care, then it won't.
    Yeah you are correct although it is becoming clear that Luka hates losing. The kid is intense and pissed when they fall behind and like a little kid when they win.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Yeah you are correct although it is becoming clear that Luka hates losing. The kid is intense and pissed when they fall behind and like a little kid when they win.
    I wonder how much time he's spent with Dirk this season just learning from the guy. As such a hyped rookie with crazy potential and big goals, you've got to think having the greatest European player and greatest Mav of all-time on his team his rookie season is like a dream come true.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    179
    I nearly created this thread couple of days ago lol.

    Saw the game against the Lakers and he looked so old and slow. It was also embarrassing against the Celtics, where they didn't defend him, so that he would get the 2 points to pass Kobe in points scored at TD Garden all-time. He ended that game with 0-10 and 0 points. Rewatch that last minute if you can....

    I'm wondering can they let him start the next season if he's only few points short?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,213
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, and if Dallas was capable of making the postseason, I would agree those guys deserve the minutes. But they're not, and at some point you have to think winning games is no longer a priority. He's the greatest player in franchise history. If he wants to pass Wilt, and the team wants him to pass Wilt, they'll make it happen. If he doesn't care, then it won't.
    I agree. If the Mavs were in a legit playoff push I agree that taking minutes away from Kleber would be a mistake but theyíre not. Dirk has earned the right to get the minutes to pass Wilt if thatís what he wants. The ironic thing is that knowing Dirk that is exactly what he doesnít want. He wants whatever it takes to win.

    As the season goes I actually expect Dirk to play better. He hasnít been back that long and as he gets his legs his scoring will improve. During the second half of the season think heíll end up somewhere between 10-15 ppg. I also fully expect heíll retire at the end of the season. Then he can move on to being the GM of the team.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, and if Dallas was capable of making the postseason, I would agree those guys deserve the minutes. But they're not, and at some point you have to think winning games is no longer a priority. He's the greatest player in franchise history. If he wants to pass Wilt, and the team wants him to pass Wilt, they'll make it happen. If he doesn't care, then it won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I agree. If the Mavs were in a legit playoff push I agree that taking minutes away from Kleber would be a mistake but theyíre not. Dirk has earned the right to get the minutes to pass Wilt if thatís what he wants. The ironic thing is that knowing Dirk that is exactly what he doesnít want. He wants whatever it takes to win.

    As the season goes I actually expect Dirk to play better. He hasnít been back that long and as he gets his legs his scoring will improve. During the second half of the season think heíll end up somewhere between 10-15 ppg. I also fully expect heíll retire at the end of the season. Then he can move on to being the GM of the team.
    Mavericks are only four games back of the Clippers who are sixth. I think the Clips will trail off in the second half of the season so Dallas should still be aiming for the playoffs.
    "Train hard, play (matches) harder"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by SenileStern View Post
    I nearly created this thread couple of days ago lol.

    Saw the game against the Lakers and he looked so old and slow. It was also embarrassing against the Celtics, where they didn't defend him, so that he would get the 2 points to pass Kobe in points scored at TD Garden all-time. He ended that game with 0-10 and 0 points. Rewatch that last minute if you can....

    I'm wondering can they let him start the next season if he's only few points short?
    Dirk won't come back just to pass Wilt.
    "Train hard, play (matches) harder"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Mavericks are only four games back of the Clippers who are sixth. I think the Clips will trail off in the second half of the season so Dallas should still be aiming for the playoffs.
    They should be, but they're one of 14 teams in a crowded West fighting for the playoffs, and they're not exactly one of the teams that would be favored to get in. If they're sitting at 4-5 games out by the All-Star break, what's the point of fighting for the 8th seed for a young rebuilding team when they could lose more down the stretch and get the better pick? In a crowded middle this year, 2-3 games could be the difference between getting the 8th pick and the 14th pick.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Mavericks are only four games back of the Clippers who are sixth. I think the Clips will trail off in the second half of the season so Dallas should still be aiming for the playoffs.
    Theyíre definitely aiming for a playoff spot I just donít think they will make it. Their road record is horrible. Ultimately I think theyíll end up around 10th in the West.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •