Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Texas Republicans fail to oust Muslim official over religion

A Republican county official in Texas has survived a vote to oust him after several local party members took issue with his Muslim religion.

The motion to remove Shahid Shafi from his position as vice chairman of the Tarrant County Republican party failed by a vote of 139-49 on Thursday night.

The effort was led by several county Republicans who argued that Dr Shafi was more loyal to Islam than the US.

The movement led to criticism from prominent state Republican officials.

Speaking to reporters after the vote at a church in Fort Worth, Dr Shafi said: "As an immigrant to this great country, I am honoured and privileged to receive the support of my fellow Republicans."

"We were fighting for religious freedom - a founding principle of our nation. And today, we have come out victorious," he declared.

In addition to serving as the Republican vice chairman of Tarrant County - the third largest county in Texas - Dr Shafi is a surgeon and Southlake City Councilman who immigrated to the US nearly 30 years ago.

He reportedly is originally from India, and became a US citizen in 2009.

'Because he is Muslim'
    After he was appointed by party officials to his post in July 2018, several of his colleagues took issue with his religion and claimed he had connections with terrorist organisations.

Grand Prairie precinct chairwoman Dorrie O'Brien, who led the effort to oust him, recently reiterated her views in a Facebook post.

"We don't think he's suitable as a practising Muslim to be vice chair because he'd be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable," Mrs O'Brien wrote on 31 December 2018.

"There are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr Shafi's loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies."

She also previously slammed her Republican colleagues for not intervening in what she called a "stealth jihad" and "Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization of Tarrant County"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46841814

Pretty sad there was even a vote on him. Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization is a new one though.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Grand Prairie precinct chairwoman Dorrie O'Brien, who led the effort to oust him, recently reiterated her views in a Facebook post.

"We don't think he's suitable as a practising Muslim to be vice chair because he'd be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable," Mrs O'Brien wrote on 31 December 2018.

"There are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr Shafi's loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies."

She also previously slammed her Republican colleagues for not intervening in what she called a "stealth jihad" and "Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization of Tarrant County".
    I bolded my favorite part of the article. I love the sweet, sweet taste of irony and hypocrisy more than just about anything.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

“several county Republicans who argued that Dr Shafi was more loyal to Islam than the US.”

“MORE LOYAL TO ISLAM THAN THE US”

....what. Those are not competing interests.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    “several county Republicans who argued that Dr Shafi was more loyal to Islam than the US.”

Yea but that's just stupidity. It's fun but I really can't get that yummy taste of hypocrisy.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Good for the GOP in this case. 139-49 is a pretty good margin.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    Good for the GOP in this case. 139-49 is a pretty good margin.
    49 is pathetic. I’m glad that they did the right thing but that’s way too high for the 21st century.

Steve King and Special are very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46841814

Pretty sad there was even a vote on him. Leftist/Shari'a Zuckerberg-ization is a new one though.
    Yay Texas, proving by a large majority that republicans (even ones in Texas) as a whole are not racist religious nut *******s.

I assume that the idiots were equating "Islam" with the "Islamic State" and the Islamic State is a competing interest of the US.

I think ISIS would disagree with you.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Yikes.
    Did you clip your hyponychium?
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I assume that the idiots were equating "Islam" with the "Islamic State" and the Islamic State is a competing interest of the US.
    And? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that ISIS is a competing interest to the US. You ****ers are so caught up in identity politics that you can't see the tree from the forest.
    Last edited by dbroncsinmo; 01-12-2019 at 01:02 AM.

And? I'll bet you dollars to donuts that ISIS is a competing interest to the US. You ****ers are so caught up in identity politics that you can't see the tree from the forest.
    Haha. It’s like Jesus himself posts here.

Does this mean you would have voted yes to remove him?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast