Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Official 2018/19 MVP discussion thread

We've got a really interesting MVP race going on this season, and I constantly want to discuss big games and stats I see regarding the candidates, but I don't currently have any place to put them. Hence, I think we need a thread for stuff like this. Can a mod help me sticky this please whenever you guys get a chance?

Now that we're getting close to that halfway point in the season (which blows my mind that we're already 40+ games in), the race is really starting to take shape. Injuries have dealt some big blows to some obvious contenders—namely Lebron and Curry—while we've had some monster performances and moments in recent weeks that have brought these conversations more to the forefront. We're even seeing some analysts pick their midseason MVPs already and making predictions.

So if you see an article of interest worth reading, a stat worth sharing or just want to talk about a big moment from a player in this conversation, put that stuff here. I'll start us off with an obvious question: Roughly halfway through the season, who are your top 5 MVP candidates (in order), and why?

As of Today 1.11.19 My top 5 is

1. Giannis
    2. Harden
    3. Kawhi
    4. Jokic
    5. Bron

Bron slipping a bit but can easily get back to top status once he gets back from injury

Giannis lead is really slipping, Harden may have caught him in some people eyes, hes right there for me about to overtake Giannis

Kawhi has had a really really good year. 27 ppg being efficient and playing top level D on a # 1 team. Has everything you want from an MVP Candidate

Got to give Jokic his props. #1 team in the west, and hes the anchor of it. dude has been great

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    As of Today 1.11.19 My top 5 is

1. Giannis
    2. Harden
    3. Kawhi
    4. Jokic
    5. Bron

Bron slipping a bit but can easily get back to top status once he gets back from injury

Giannis lead is really slipping, Harden may have caught him in some people eyes, hes right there for me about to overtake Giannis

Kawhi has had a really really good year. 27 ppg being efficient and playing top level D on a # 1 team. Has everything you want from an MVP Candidate

Got to give Jokic his props. #1 team in the west, and hes the anchor of it. dude has been great
    I'm obviously a little biased, so take everything I say with some grain of salt, but my top 5 is probably:
    1. James Harden
    2. Giannis
    3. Paul George
    4. Nikola Jokic
    5. Kawhi Leonard

Whatever order you have them in, Harden and Giannis seem to be the consensus top two right now. If this thread doesn't die, I'll post some stats, reasoning and justification for Harden at the top. Outside of them, though, it's a really crowded race, and there's probably 7-8 guys who still squarely in the conversation.

I gave George and Jokic credit here for being the best players on teams that have overachieved and for upping their games this season. George, especially, has impressed me as I didn't think he had this extra gear. I even remember telling tredigs a few months ago that there was zero chance he could be MVP because he wasn't capable of the production on the same team as Westbrook. So far, I've been wrong.

Kawhi was a tough pick, but I have a hard time putting him, Curry or Lebron any higher than this because they've missed a good chunk of the first half of the season. They've pretty much all missed a quarter of their team's games so far, but I'm giving Leonard the edge since he's returned to form and Toronto has exceeded expectations through the first half. But by season's end, hopefully all three of them will have played enough games to still be in the conversation.

You could make strong cases for Embiid, Durant and Davis in the top 5 as well.

For me my top 5 for MVP race would be:

Harden
    Giannis
    Kawhi
    Westbrook
    Paul George (PG13)

Even though Anthony Davis is also right there statistically as well

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    For me my top 5 for MVP race would be:

Harden
    Giannis
    Kawhi
    Westbrook
    Paul George (PG13)

Even though Anthony Davis is also right there statistically as well
    That's interesting to see Westbrook at No. 4. He's not somebody I would have put in the conversation. What makes you rank him so highly when he's having such a down year statistically?

I promise I didn't create this thread solely to post James Harden statlines, but holy ****. Last night, he was just on fire, and he made it look so effortless. It was against the Cavs, so take it with a grain of salt, but they threw every defender at him and it didn't matter. He killed everyone.

Here are the numbers: 43 points, 12 assists, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 4 TOs on 12-24 FG, 8-16 on 3s and 11-11 from the FT line

The craziest thing: he did it under 30 minutes! According to Tim McMahon, it was the first time in NBA history a player had a 40-point triple double in less than 30 minutes of game time, as he didn't even step on the floor in the 4th quarter. Harden also extended his record of consecutive games with at least five 3-pointers made to 12, which is now five more than the second longest streak (Curry earlier this season).

1. Giannis
    2. Harden (voter fatigue)
    3. Jokic (DEN bias; see below)
    4. Kawhi
    5. Bron

I'm absolutely biased towards Jokic. but the fact that the Raptors are something like 7-1 without Kawhi puts Jokic in that 3 spot for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmellofan15 View Post
    1. Giannis
    2. Harden (voter fatigue)
    3. Jokic (DEN bias; see below)
    4. Kawhi
    5. Bron

I'm absolutely biased towards Jokic. but the fact that the Raptors are something like 7-1 without Kawhi puts Jokic in that 3 spot for me.
    If Denver finishes with a top 2-3 seed in the West and Jokic is healthy and putting up these kinds of numbers all season long, I don't see how the guy doesn't finish in the top 5. If they somehow do end up getting the top seed, he's got a legitimate shot to win the damn thing.

Statistically, though, I do think the numbers are a bit behind what Harden and Giannis are doing. So voters would really have to buy into that narrative of Jokic leading the Nuggets to the top seed in the stacked conference. It's also possible Harden and Giannis could fall off a bit statistically, leaving a window for someone like Jokic to step up.

Random unrelated question, but as a Denver fan, why do you think the Nuggets struggle so much against Houston? They're 0-9 against the Rockets since Jokic came on board, and I feel like I'm always impressed by them as a team when they play against any team in the league BUT Houston. But against the Rockets, they seem to really struggle, and I can't put my finger on why.