Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,106

    NBA's current top-5 players

    My takes:

    1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    2. James Harden
    3. Lebron James
    4. Kevin Durant
    5. Antony Davis

    1. Giannis because everybody says he is a phenomenon that can play better than other bigs, move better than the best of wings and playmake better than the best of guards.

    2. Harden because he is unguardable and is the best in "reading the game".

    3. Lebron because he is the inventor of non positional basketball.

    4. KD because he is the most effective player in the league.

    5. AD because he is the best alternative to Giannis in the paint.
    Last edited by Scoots; 01-11-2019 at 11:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,189
    I just can't get on board with Davis as a top 5 player if his team is at the bottom of the conference. He just doesn't win. That has to mean something.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    27,765
    Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    My takes:

    1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    2. James Harden
    3. Lebron James
    4. Kevin Durant
    5. Antony Davis

    1. Giannis because everybody says he is a phenomenon that can play better than other bigs, move better than the best of wings and playmake better than the best of guards.

    2. Harden because he is unguardable and is the best in "reading the game".

    3. Lebron because he is the inventor of non positional basketball.

    4. KD because he is the most effective player in the league.

    5. AD because he is the best alternative to Giannis in the paint.
    Elite reasoning. Would read again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18,358
    1) LeBron - Until proven otherwise and he gets vastly outplayed in the playoffs, there isn't any indication he isn't the best still.

    2) Kevin Durant - Probably still the best scorer in the league and has been unstoppable in the playoffs.

    3) Giannis Antetokounmpo - Need to see more in the playoffs but this guy is just unreal. The ability to help his team win games while taking few shots proves he is a versatile player who can do it all. Great defense, insane length, and dominates games without shooting.

    4) James Harden - Have to put Harden here even though I dislike his playoffs performances. Playoffs excluded, probably the best scorer in the NBA. Not a huge fan of his proficient ability to gain foul calls but can't deny that he's incredibly skilled.

    5) Curry - Best shooter in the league. His absence proved that the Warriors are a vastly superior team when he plays and is healthy. Had to bump him a few spots because of how well the others are playing but he's going to be top five as long as his shooting is that good.

    Others:

    6) Kawhi - Would like to put him top five but his team has been very good without him (8-2 record) so I'm not sure how to evaluate his overall impact until the playoffs when he will undoubtedly have to lead them.

    7) Embiid - Missed only two games so far, shoots FT's very well for a center, dominating the game offensively and defensively, top rebounder in the league, and the best center in the game.

    8) AD - Disappointed by the Pelicans as a team overall and not liking the fact AD seems to put up amazing stats but his team can't get above .500. Might be a case of stat-stuffing so I have to penalize him for that. Needs to start winning. Mavs aren't a very good overall team either and they are just a game or two behind Pelicans.

    9) Paul George - I said he was better than Jimmy Butler and you guys said no way.. Easily a top ten player this season and IMO, a candidate for MVP. Our best defender, scorer, and player.

    10) Jokic - Could dominate the game in various ways. Rebounds well, passes like an elite player, doesn't have to score the ball to have an impact. Also leading his team to the best record in the West - something I don't think was expected at all. Would not mind putting Kyrie or Lillard here either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18,358
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    I just can't get on board with Davis as a top 5 player if his team is at the bottom of the conference. He just doesn't win. That has to mean something.
    Agreed. As much as we hear about his amazing stats and ability as a player, I can't fathom how Doncic is leading an inferior team to a similar record. At some point, this has to be an Anthony Davis problem and I think we're nearing that. I could see him having a huge impact on any other team but his inability as a 1st option thus far has been a problem for me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,189
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Agreed. As much as we hear about his amazing stats and ability as a player, I can't fathom how Doncic is leading an inferior team to a similar record. At some point, this has to be an Anthony Davis problem and I think we're nearing that. I could see him having a huge impact on any other team but his inability as a 1st option thus far has been a problem for me.
    Jokic has a joke of a team to work with and they are absolutely killing it. Is Utah really more talented? If AD is a top 5 player they are absolutely not. At this point AD is a taller, more athletic Kevin Love until proven otherwise.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    97,899
    Lebron- His defense has fallen off but he is still lebron

    Durant- Besides a healthy KL this dude is probably the best 2 way player in the game that could carry anybody

    Harden- An offensive unstoppable force

    Giannis- His shooting is his weakness but he can do everything else and doesnt hurt his team

    Jokic/Embiid/Curry/KL/AD all could have the number 5 spot... of these 4 only one of them would get exposed on a bad team with a lack of talent around them in curry but his offensive game is so special that it can lift any team to a playoff contender/title contender. The other 4 guys are much better 2 way players.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    97,899
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Agreed. As much as we hear about his amazing stats and ability as a player, I can't fathom how Doncic is leading an inferior team to a similar record. At some point, this has to be an Anthony Davis problem and I think we're nearing that. I could see him having a huge impact on any other team but his inability as a 1st option thus far has been a problem for me.
    I am starting to feel like he is similar to curry really... he will never be able to carry a bad team but if he has the talent around him could make a good or great team legendary. I just cant figure out how an AD team doesnt win considering what he does and how he does it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18,358
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Jokic has a joke of a team to work with and they are absolutely killing it. Is Utah really more talented? If AD is a top 5 player they are absolutely not. At this point AD is a taller, more athletic Kevin Love until proven otherwise.
    Pelicans coach sucks and their management/environment around the team is just garbage. I decided to take a look at the roster again and yikes, it's actually very bad. Outside of their starting lineup, they have nothing from the bench. I'd like to see it's mostly AD's fault but really, the team is just really bad. Yes, I think Nuggets and Utah have better rosters. Would I take Jokic over AD? Not a chance. This is clearly a bad roster and AD isn't a 1st option type player. He'd be better as a 2nd option type player.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18,358
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I am starting to feel like he is similar to curry really... he will never be able to carry a bad team but if he has the talent around him could make a good or great team legendary. I just cant figure out how an AD team doesnt win considering what he does and how he does it.
    Warriors sucked before Curry was given the reign so this is definitely not even remotely the same discussion. Curry can and has carried a bad team before. It's not his fault he's got a good team considering he's been there from the start.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    97,899
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Warriors sucked before Curry was given the reign so this is definitely not even remotely the same discussion. Curry can and has carried a bad team before. It's not his fault he's got a good team considering he's been there from the start.
    warriors sucked the season before curry but the 2 seasons before that season they were above 500... curry first 3 seasons in basketball the warriors were 85-145... the season they drafted draymond and klay is when the warriors started winning. Its always fun when you never look at things like this before posting. The spacing that klay gave to curry in his first 2 seasons as a 3 point shooter was exactly what curry needed... followed by draymond always being insane defensively.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 01-10-2019 at 10:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    18,358
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    warriors sucked the season before curry but the 2 seasons before that season they were above 500... curry first 3 seasons in basketball the warriors were 85-145... the season they drafted draymond and klay is when the warriors started winning. Its always fun when you never look at things like this before posting. The spacing that klay gave to curry in his first 2 seasons as a 3 point shooter was exactly what curry needed... followed by draymond always being insane defensively.
    Lol, did you pay attention to what I said? "Before Curry was given the reign." Why are you so mad, anyways? Learn to read first before you claim I should. You act as if you're superior when you're always looked at as the joker around here. I said BEFORE CURRY WAS GIVEN THE REIGN. Monta was a ballhogger who scored the ball and Curry wasn't even given the same opportunities because of that. Notice how as soon as they got rid of Monta and Curry took over, they became a playoff team.. Way to reveal you can't read, though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    30,214
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    1) LeBron - Until proven otherwise and he gets vastly outplayed in the playoffs, there isn't any indication he isn't the best still.

    2) Kevin Durant - Probably still the best scorer in the league and has been unstoppable in the playoffs.

    3) Giannis Antetokounmpo - Need to see more in the playoffs but this guy is just unreal. The ability to help his team win games while taking few shots proves he is a versatile player who can do it all. Great defense, insane length, and dominates games without shooting.

    4) James Harden - Have to put Harden here even though I dislike his playoffs performances. Playoffs excluded, probably the best scorer in the NBA. Not a huge fan of his proficient ability to gain foul calls but can't deny that he's incredibly skilled.

    5) Curry - Best shooter in the league. His absence proved that the Warriors are a vastly superior team when he plays and is healthy. Had to bump him a few spots because of how well the others are playing but he's going to be top five as long as his shooting is that good.

    Others:

    6) Kawhi - Would like to put him top five but his team has been very good without him (8-2 record) so I'm not sure how to evaluate his overall impact until the playoffs when he will undoubtedly have to lead them.

    7) Embiid - Missed only two games so far, shoots FT's very well for a center, dominating the game offensively and defensively, top rebounder in the league, and the best center in the game.

    8) AD - Disappointed by the Pelicans as a team overall and not liking the fact AD seems to put up amazing stats but his team can't get above .500. Might be a case of stat-stuffing so I have to penalize him for that. Needs to start winning. Mavs aren't a very good overall team either and they are just a game or two behind Pelicans.

    9) Paul George - I said he was better than Jimmy Butler and you guys said no way.. Easily a top ten player this season and IMO, a candidate for MVP. Our best defender, scorer, and player.

    10) Jokic - Could dominate the game in various ways. Rebounds well, passes like an elite player, doesn't have to score the ball to have an impact. Also leading his team to the best record in the West - something I don't think was expected at all. Would not mind putting Kyrie or Lillard here either.
    This would probably be my top 10 this season as well, but my order would be more like:
    1. Lebron James
    2. James Harden
    3. Kevin Durant
    4. Stephen Curry
    5. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    6. Kawhi Leonard
    7. Anthony Davis
    8. Paul George
    9. Joel Embiid
    10. Nikola Jokic

    The only thing I debated was swapping out Jokic for Kyrie. I love Jokic as a player and am fascinated by his game, but Kyrie's big-game scoring is hard to pass up for a jack-of-all-trades guy like Jokic. Ultimately, given Denver's success this season, I think he's deserving on this list right now.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    97,899
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Lol, did you pay attention to what I said? "Before Curry was given the reign." Why are you so mad, anyways? Learn to read first before you claim I should. You act as if you're superior when you're always looked at as the joker around here. I said BEFORE CURRY WAS GIVEN THE REIGN. Monta was a ballhogger who scored the ball and Curry wasn't even given the same opportunities because of that. Notice how as soon as they got rid of Monta and Curry took over, they became a playoff team.. Way to reveal you can't read, though.
    edit-deleted.. Rather not get in trouble lol. Lol dont be mad because you lost the argument before it even began.
    Last edited by More-Than-Most; 01-11-2019 at 12:53 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,463
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Jokic has a joke of a team to work with and they are absolutely killing it. Is Utah really more talented? If AD is a top 5 player they are absolutely not. At this point AD is a taller, more athletic Kevin Love until proven otherwise.
    Are you saying that Jokic has a joke of a team because of the injuries or just in general? Because if it's the latter, I have to disagree.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •