Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Brewers sign Yasmani Grandal

One year deal via Rosenthal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandal gets 18.25 M for one year

Seems odd use of their limited resources. But they were weak at catcher with Pina.

I still feel like their middle infield and rotation are screaming for support, and they are now $6M over MLBTR's projected budget for them.

I guess Spangenberg and Arcia in the middle infield and that rotation

Stearns certainly isn't conventional

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Seems odd use of their limited resources. But they were weak at catcher with Pina.

I still feel like their middle infield and rotation are screaming for support, and they are now $6M over MLBTR's projected budget for them.

I guess Spangenberg and Arcia in the middle infield and that rotation

Stearns certainly isn't conventional
    The rotation is fine. Im guessing they still go after someone like Jed Lowrie or bring back Moose at 2nd

Grandal could easily hit 30 HRís moving from LA to MIL and he had 3rd highest WAR among C last year

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    The rotation is fine. Im guessing they still go after someone like Jed Lowrie or bring back Moose at 2nd

Grandal could easily hit 30 HRís moving from LA to MIL and he had 3rd highest WAR among C last year

The lowest projected ERA from a starter is Nelson's 4.20, and who knows when he'll be back. After that, it's Peralta at 4.40

Peralta would be the 6th best starter on the Cubs, and the 8th best ERA among the Cards starters (not including guys like Gomber)

Their rotation isn't fine, it's one of the projected worst in the league and got away with unsustainable numbers. Find me any starter in the last ten years who had consecutive seasons of sub 8 K/9 and over 80% LOB rate like Anderson had this year (projected for a 4.98 ERA)

If they really are over their projected spending with this move, that leaves Arcia and Spangenberg as their middle infield (combined 0.2 fWAR last year)

Stearns was unconventional last deadline, and he brought the Brewers a game within the World Series. But that rotation and middle infield are really weak right now.

That said, Grandal is a nice upgrade over what they had in Pina and definitely extends their lineup a huge amount. Plus, not many bad one year deals, so it's likely a smart investment.

The lowest projected ERA from a starter is Nelson's 4.20, and who knows when he'll be back. After that, it's Peralta at 4.40

Peralta would be the 6th best starter on the Cubs, and the 8th best ERA among the Cards starters (not including guys like Gomber)

Their rotation isn't fine, it's one of the projected worst in the league and got away with unsustainable numbers. Find me any starter in the last ten years who had consecutive seasons of sub 8 K/9 and over 80% LOB rate like Anderson had this year (projected for a 4.98 ERA)

If they really are over their projected spending with this move, that leaves Arcia and Spangenberg as their middle infield (combined 0.2 fWAR last year)

Stearns was unconventional last deadline, and he brought the Brewers a game within the World Series. But that rotation and middle infield are really weak right now.

That said, Grandal is a nice upgrade over what they had in Pina and definitely extends their lineup a huge amount. Plus, not many bad one year deals, so it's likely a smart investment.
    1. No one truly knows what the budget is for the Brewers. They had the lowest payroll for two years in 2016 and 2017 and theyve ran it up to 110 M before. They can also try and trade Thames before the sesaon

2. Regarding the rotation. Theyre gonna be relying on Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta and Brandon Woodruff in their rotation. These three all have huge potential and showed nasty stuff. Its not the same rotation as last year and they are really high on all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    1. No one truly knows what the budget is for the Brewers. They had the lowest payroll for two years in 2016 and 2017 and theyve ran it up to 110 M before. They can also try and trade Thames before the sesaon
    I agree, there are some creative options, and $120 could even be an option and we don't know it. MLBTR does a pretty good job of guessing though for the most part.

2. Regarding the rotation. Theyre gonna be relying on Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta and Brandon Woodruff in their rotation. These three all have huge potential and showed nasty stuff. Its not the same rotation as last year and they are really high on all three.

I mean, Burnes is probably the best of those three (maybe Peralta), and he only threw 38 innings in the big leagues and had a 3.79 ERA and a 4.22 FIP in 78 AAA innings. He can probably take the step forward this year though.

I do think he can be a solid starter though.

Peralta got away with good luck (we discussed last summer - 5.84 ERA/4.91 FIP last 10 appearances), though he is young enough with good enough stuff for the upside to be there.
    And Woodruff doesn't have the minor league track record to suggest what he did last year is here to stay (only threw 15 innings as a starter and had a 6.32 ERA as a starter (5.08 FIP))

It's a weak rotation, and only a Brewers optimist would say otherwise. You need a lot of guys to do things that would be a surprise for them to do. It's odd that they haven't added an outside starter over the last 12 months.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 01-10-2019 at 02:25 AM.

They added Gio Gonzalez before the trade deadline (who is a FA now of course). Most people, including myself, said similar about the Brewers rotation last offseason. Apparently the Brewers brass think they can outperform expectations once again.

I'm sure many have heard the rumors about Milwaukee being the most likely team to land Bumgarner at this point. That'd be a major power move for them if it does go down. I don't expect him to be moved until closer to the trade deadline (if at all) though.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    They added Gio Gonzalez before the trade deadline (who is a FA now of course). Most people, including myself, said similar about the Brewers rotation last offseason. Apparently the Brewers brass think they can outperform expectations once again.

I'm sure many have heard the rumors about Milwaukee being the most likely team to land Bumgarner at this point. That'd be a major power move for them if it does go down. I don't expect him to be moved until closer to the trade deadline (if at all) though.
    I welcome Bumgarner's 1.50 HR/9 on the road in Miller Park

that's over the last three years btw

I agree, there are some creative options, and $120 could even be an option and we don't know it. MLBTR does a pretty good job of guessing though for the most part.

I mean, Burnes is probably the best of those three (maybe Peralta), and he only threw 38 innings in the big leagues and had a 3.79 ERA and a 4.22 FIP in 78 AAA innings. He can probably take the step forward this year though.

I do think he can be a solid starter though.

Peralta got away with good luck (we discussed last summer - 5.84 ERA/4.91 FIP last 10 appearances), though he is young enough with good enough stuff for the upside to be there.
    And Woodruff doesn't have the minor league track record to suggest what he did last year is here to stay (only threw 15 innings as a starter and had a 6.32 ERA as a starter (5.08 FIP))

It's a weak rotation, and only a Brewers optimist would say otherwise. You need a lot of guys to do things that would be a surprise for them to do. It's odd that they haven't added an outside starter over the last 12 months.
    Woodruff in 2016 in AA

113.2 IP, 9.82 k/9, 2.3 bb/9, 3.01 ERA, 2.5 FIP

2017/2018 he pitched in Colorado Springs which letís say isnít the best pitchers Park

Same thing with Burnes

2017: 2.1 ERA, 9 K/9 85.2 IP in AA and 1.0 ERA in A

Last year he pitched in Colorado and got knocked around

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Mostly here for this.

I understand why they made this move to try and alleviate a black hole offensively at catcher, to the point of teetering on back to back automatic outs with the pitcher at the end of the lineup. As has been mentioned, 18 mil is wild for this guy but a one year deal is a one year deal.

All that said, because of all the regression they're *still* due for I can't realistically worry about the Brewers until/unless they get Bum. I will actually worry a bit about the Brewers if/then. In the interim though this is kinda whatever.

Right now, in the NL Central

I believe if the Cubs are healthy, they'll win the division regardless of what anyone else does, it's up for debate what constitutes healthy, but they have the best roster top to bottom.

If the Cubs are unhealthy, and the Cards bullpen is average this year, they could steal the division. If their bullpen is very good, then they can win the division regardless, but unlikely. I feel like the Cubs and Cards are comparable when it comes to lineup and rotation, as well depth. But the bullpen is significantly weaker for the Cards.

If the Cards bullpen is weak, and the Cubs are unhealthy, and the Brewers win with smoke and mirrors again, then they can win the division again.

I just don't fear the Brewers at all. Weak middle infield, weak rotation. I see their floor as too low, even with their upside. It took an insane September, MVP seasons from Yelich and Cain, and great luck out of the rotation, for them to steal the division by 1 game over a hurt Cubs team, and a Cards team that imploded down the stretch.

I feel like the Cards have addressed their needs really well, and the Cubs are still a 95-100 win caliber team. I feel like the Brewers could win 78, or they could win 95. But I think they are much closer to 78 than they are to 95 due to holes.

As an Orioles fan, speaking from lots of experience the past couple seasons.......improve the rotation. Even baseball's best bullpen will have its luck run out and be exposed in the end due to a lack of front end starting pitching. The Brewers were within one game of the World Series, Hiura should've been dangled along with an outfielder for Kluber or Bauer, that would've easily gotten a deal done with the Indians.

If the Cards bullpen is weak, and the Cubs are unhealthy, and the Brewers win with smoke and mirrors again, then they can win the division again.
    What a statement.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Brewers are after Jed Lowrie or Marwin Gonzalez now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast