Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Everybody's trying to hire/lead with offense, so this hire might work out and outsmart everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Everybody's trying to hire/lead with offense, so this hire might work out and outsmart everyone else.
    And my opinion is these things go in runs, but at some point you are chasing a fad. I think Klingon Kingsbury should have been an NFL OC, not a head coach.

Meanwhile here’s a lifer in the nfl, knows the nfl, has headed up some of the best defenses.

As fun as high octane offenses are, defense and running the ball still matter the most.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    And my opinion is these things go in runs, but at some point you are chasing a fad. I think Klingon Kingsbury should have been an NFL OC, not a head coach.

Meanwhile here’s a lifer in the nfl, knows the nfl, has headed up some of the best defenses.

As fun as high octane offenses are, defense and running the ball still matter the most.
    yeah playoff football, especially in certain conditions is about winning in the trenches and avoiding turnovers/big plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    Fangio is a Top 5 DC in the league, so the hire is worth it from that standpoint alone.

But his tenure will almost entirely be determined by whether Elway manages to find a QB.

Else I don't see the Broncos find considerable success in their division as long as Rivers is playing and Mahomes is on his rookie contract.

Out of the HC hires confirmed so far, I regard this one 2nd highest after Arians.
    Last edited by QB_Eagles; 01-11-2019 at 01:15 AM.

I've long been a fan of Vic Fangio, and its about time he gets a head coaching job. He will do a great job retooling the Broncos defense, and letting Kubiak run the offense will be a plus- though it's going to hinge on letting Keenum's contract run out and then drafting a QB next year. Given the QBs in this division, hiring a guy with a defensive mind is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I hope our defense comes back to life lol. Really only need a couple of pieces for that to happen. Can't wait to see Von and Chubb in Fangio's defense. And if Kubiak's offense can actually get this defense a lead, look out.
    Looks like Kubiak is out?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
    Looks like Kubiak is out?
    Yup. I'm not too disappointed with that development. He wanted to bring Rick Dennison back, and didn't want to evolve his offense. I hate a stale offense, and Dennison sucks lol

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Im not here to Troll but i domt beleive Vic is going to be a good HC. Dont also understand it from the Broncos perspective. Its been their offense and inabikity to find a QB with consistency that has hindered them. Not D. But what do i know. Just think Vic tightens an already tight screw whikr doing nothing to tighten the loose one.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

No one knows if any of these hirings will work out. Anyone grading these hirings today doesn't know anything to be honest.

Thay being said, I understand why teams want the offrnsive mind over the defensive mind. Defensivr systems are typically easier to learn and change if you have to. When you hire a defensive mind, you're very likely going to end up changing offensive systems often. If your offense stinks, you'll have to find a new one. If your offense is good, your OC will often get a HC shot elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    No one knows if any of these hirings will work out. Anyone grading these hirings today doesn't know anything to be honest.

Thay being said, I understand why teams want the offrnsive mind over the defensive mind. Defensivr systems are typically easier to learn and change if you have to. When you hire a defensive mind, you're very likely going to end up changing offensive systems often. If your offense stinks, you'll have to find a new one. If your offense is good, your OC will often get a HC shot elsewhere.
    I agree with this. Not that Vic can't be a successful HC, but offensive instability can really kill a franchise. Bears fans would know.

Why comment on anything at all?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Why comment on anything at all?
    With other things you at least have some background. If a free agent signs, you can at least look at his history. If a rookie is drafted, you can look at college tape.

With coaches, you don't have any idea. You literally argued that Pederson was a good hire because he had good leadership qualities but guys like lafluer and Kingsbury are just flavor of the month like there's any way to decipher their leadership qualities.

With other things you at least have some background. If a free agent signs, you can at least look at his history. If a rookie is drafted, you can look at college tape.

With coaches, you don't have any idea. You literally argued that Pederson was a good hire because he had good leadership qualities but guys like lafluer and Kingsbury are just flavor of the month like there's any way to decipher their leadership qualities.
    So you can look at a player's background, but not a coach's background?

By the way, I never argued LaFleur or Kingsbury don't have leadership qualities. I might in Kingsbury's case, but I haven't.

You implied it by saying pederson was successful because of his leadership skills and lafluer and Kingsbury are just flavor of the month hires.

You basically implied leadership is just as important as scheme or anything like that. And anyone that tries to pretend they know anything about the leadership skills of a guy who's never been a head coach before is throwing darts in the dark.

And what credit does a coach get for his teams past successes or failures? So you look at lafluer's "failure" in Tennessee as a hit on him. But why wouldn't he get credit for some of the rams success when he was their OC? He was the OC when Goff broke out. What about Atlanta? Kyle Shanahan gets credit for helping Matt Ryan have his best year, but why doesn't qb coach lafluer get credit? Maybe lafluer does or doesn't deserve credit in either of those cases. I have no idea if he should, but the point is no one outside of the guys that have been part of those situations really has any clue.

In Sean mcvays first season as OC, his offense was ranked 28th by football outsiders. Guys like Shanahan have been in charge of multiple 20+ ranked offenses, especially in their first year in the position. It takes time and talent to implement an offense. Lafluer had basically neither in tenn. They have very mediocre offensive talent and their starting qb, who's inconsistent anyhow, missed a quarter of the season.

Basically you're basing your opinion of lafluer as a bad hire because he didn't immediately turn around a mediocre at best offense that had a bunch of injuries and the fact that he's too similar in age and background to other coaches who have recently had success. How is that not a ridiculous thing to judge on?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast