Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Browns to hire Freddie Kitchens as it's next Head Coach

@Mortreport

Freddie Kitchens will be named new Browns head coach later today, per sources.

I called it yesterday, and mentioned weeks ago that Freddie would be discussed to be our HC.

Though his ability to lead as HC will be questioned - I like the hire a lot.

The next step is to build the coaching support around him. I hope Bob Wiley, Adam Henry, and Ryan Lindley stays (he should). With the departure of Gregggggg Williams, sounds like the defensive staff will be overhauled, much to my joy!
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    I called it yesterday, and mentioned weeks ago that Freddie would be discussed to be our HC.

Though his ability to lead as HC will be questioned - I like the hire a lot.

The next step is to build the coaching support around him. I hope Bob Wiley, Adam Henry, and Ryan Lindley stays (he should). With the departure of Gregggggg Williams, sounds like the defensive staff will be overhauled, much to my joy!
    They couldn't get Dabo, so they went for his underling

I guess his relationship with Baker and the success of the Browns offense with him and Baker leading the way was evident. Doesn't hurt to give him a shot if it helps and brings good morale to your franchise qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    They couldn't get Dabo, so they went for his underling
    Haha, yeah

Now, more than anything, I'd love for the Browns to fly in naked and sweep Bowles out from under BA's grasp. Especially since it sounds like Bowles to TB isn't set in stone.

Only problem is the Bears opening at DC and the connection to Nagy that Bowles has.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Now, more than anything, I'd love for the Browns to fly in naked and sweep Bowles out from under BA's grasp. Especially since it sounds like Bowles to TB isn't set in stone.

Only problem is the Bears opening at DC and the connection to Nagy that Bowles has.
    Do you think they will hire a OC? I don't like the idea of a young new HC also being OC. too much to early. I'm hoping most the position coaches stay. I don't wanna screw with the offense to much. I hate to see a huge overhaul on defense also. We got talent but also lack another pass rusher and a run stopping tackle.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    Do you think they will hire a OC? I don't like the idea of a young new HC also being OC. too much to early. I'm hoping most the position coaches stay. I don't wanna screw with the offense to much. I hate to see a huge overhaul on defense also. We got talent but also lack another pass rusher and a run stopping tackle.
    I think Ryan Lindley is close with Big Fred and helped a lot with his OC duties while 3G was the HC. So it's possible Lindley is promoted to OC while Fred continues to handle the play-calling duties.

So the most important part of the offense should remain intact if they go that direction.

The defense is another story. IMO, 3G and his son didn't do all that good of a job with play-calling. We do need more talent but they just didn't seem to have a good grasp on situational calls. They did wonderful at making adjustments - I give 'em that, but I'm hoping we get a DC that is more fluid with down-to-down play-calling.

I agree that I don't want a HUGE scheme-like change either, but I think we're on the cusp of having a strong defense (we got a lot of good players) and just need better play-calling and direction. We definitely need to beef up the front 7 for sure too.

Word is (from Cleveland sports radio) that the Browns face-timed Baker Mayfield during the interview process to weigh his opinion. And Baker was glowingly supportive of Kitchens.

So prodigy was right.

Part of me hoped that they would have kept him as OC and gotten a defensive minded HC. But this isn't a bad move either because the players obviously do love Kitchens and I think he can manage the personalities there very well

Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    Part of me hoped that they would have kept him as OC and gotten a defensive minded HC. But this isn't a bad move either because the players obviously do love Kitchens and I think he can manage the personalities there very well
    Yeah, it was a helluva decision that I'm sure they thought deeply about.

Ultimately, I think they wanted the Baker-Kitchens pairing for many years to come. And if you keep Kitchens as OC and he's successful in 2019, you're inevitably gonna lose him to another team desperate for a HC.

Might as well make him your HC that way you can keep him for many years to come. The Rams thought they were prematurely making McVay their HC and it worked out well for them, so all we can do is hope Baker in the Kitchens makes our Brownies great again.

Offense definitely played well under him. I wonder who they'll roll with as DC

The Bucs tried that exact same move, firing the defensive-minded HC and promoting the OC who worked well with Winston, but it didn't work out so well.

Let's hope the Browns can do better. It depends on how good of a leader Kitchens is. Typically a team's ownership should be able to determine that, but I'm skeptical when it's the Browns ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Offense definitely played well under him. I wonder who they'll roll with as DC
    Kris Richard?

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The Bucs tried that exact same move, firing the defensive-minded HC and promoting the OC who worked well with Winston, but it didn't work out so well.

Let's hope the Browns can do better. It depends on how good of a leader Kitchens is. Typically a team's ownership should be able to determine that, but I'm skeptical when it's the Browns ownership.
    Dorsey was the one leading the charge in finding a head coach.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast