Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    The Bucs tried that exact same move, firing the defensive-minded HC and promoting the OC who worked well with Winston, but it didn't work out so well.

Let's hope the Browns can do better. It depends on how good of a leader Kitchens is. Typically a team's ownership should be able to determine that, but I'm skeptical when it's the Browns ownership.
    Yup. I said this earlier too. Giants and Bucs both got burned by firing the HC because they were afraid of losing the OC.

PROCESSING

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    Word is (from Cleveland sports radio) that the Browns face-timed Baker Mayfield during the interview process to weigh his opinion. And Baker was glowingly supportive of Kitchens.

So prodigy was right.
    I figured they would talk to their franchise QB. I think people thought i meant Baker was going to make the decision. of course not. But his voice should be heard. Along with other captions on the team. Nothing wrong with listening to people and taking in all information.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

This hire may be an overreaction to an OC who quickly improved the offense. But he was the coordinator for a very short time and is now suddenly a head coach. On the other hand, Bill Parcells wasn't a coordinator at all; he got promoted from Giants LB coach right to head coach, and won two NFL titles. But that may be the exception and not the rule. I think maybe they should have kept Kitchens as OC and hired Vic Fangio as head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    This hire may be an overreaction to an OC who quickly improved the offense. But he was the coordinator for a very short time and is now suddenly a head coach. On the other hand, Bill Parcells wasn't a coordinator at all; he got promoted from Giants LB coach right to head coach, and won two NFL titles. But that may be the exception and not the rule. I think maybe they should have kept Kitchens as OC and hired Vic Fangio as head coach.
    He's been in the league for 13 years though. I think hiring bum college coaches like Cardinals did is worse to be honest. But i do understand what ur saying. I hope they hire a very experienced DC who can also answer any questions or concerns he may have as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    I hope they hire a very experienced DC who can also answer any questions or concerns he may have as HC.
    I think they should keep the 4-3 defense. OLB Jamie Collins, ILB Joe Schobert, and OLB Christian Kirksey are a good trio. I suppose they could also fit a 3-4 -- Collins played some on the edge in New England, and Schobert was an ELB for Wisconsin. But they are both better playing at the second level (off the line of scrimmage).

I think they should keep the 4-3 defense. OLB Jamie Collins, ILB Joe Schobert, and OLB Christian Kirksey are a good trio. I suppose they could also fit a 3-4 -- Collins played some on the edge in New England, and Schobert was an ELB for Wisconsin. But they are both better playing at the second level (off the line of scrimmage).
    I really really hope we keep the 4-3 base defense as you said. I know a lot of it is just terminology and many teams employ hybrid-styles today, but often times the roster is molded to fit the base scheme and I do NOT want us to start re-shaping the defense to do that.

As for Collins, I'd like to see him traded/cut. While talented, he plays with far too little effort and takes too many plays off. It's EXTREMELY noticeable and tends to hurt us quite a bit. Schobert is so freaking underrated and Kirksey has been dealing with injuries and hasn't played well. But Genard Avery has been fantastic and Jabrill Peppers (safety) has seen a lot of time playing a hybrid-kind of role. We definitely need to address our LB situation early in free agency or early in the draft. Or both. We need more speedy thumpers for our LBs though I suppose if Kirksey is healthy his athleticism would help us out. Our entire front 7 needs to be beefed up though especially DT.

I'm not too concerned about the secondary except for a little added depth for injuries, assuming we bring back our main guys.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.

Yeah, I understand the concerns about Freddie's ability to lead. All we can do is trust Dorsey's analysis and hope that team has a better feel for Freddie's abilities than we do as fans. The ringing endorsements have came in from all over, though. I guess we'll have to see. Boom or bust!

I'm glad we got a guy that works extremely well with Baker and has a good repertoire with him.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.

G Joel Bitonio is replacing David DeCastro, who is supposedly injured (maybe he really is) in the Pro Bowl. I didn't know Bitonio he was moved back to guard from left tackle. Apparently, Cleveland put Rams draft bust Greg Robinson at LT and he did surprisingly well. I had already given up on him.

Getting back to 4-3 defense continuity, I think the Browns and the Cardinals should consider Marvin Lewis for DC. Before his long string of failures as the Bengals HC, he coordinated the 2000 Ravens defense. For you young fans out there, that championship unit was to defenses like an exotic million dollar power car such as a McLaren is to driving. But Marvin might be planning to take some time off.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 01-10-2019 at 04:22 PM.

I was rooting for Gregg Williams to get this job, but I have a feeling his name is still too toxic to hire again as a full-fledged head coach. That being said, I haven't really heard about Freddie Kitchens, which isn't a bad thing, but is he a guy who is going to be over his head?

I also realize that you don't want to keep Williams in house after making this decision for obvious reasons, but now their DC hire needs to be a very experienced guy, preferably a former head coach, who can also serve as a mentor and sounding board for Kitchens. McVay has one of the best in Wade Phillips, so finding someone like that is going to be key for the Browns.

Should have left the post Hue Jackson staff in tact. They played very well after he was fired.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Peter principle is very real in the NFL. Assistant-to-HC hires can work out well, because the skills required to be a successful coordinator don't really match the skills required to be a successful head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Rex View Post
    I really really hope we keep the 4-3 base defense as you said. I know a lot of it is just terminology and many teams employ hybrid-styles today, but often times the roster is molded to fit the base scheme and I do NOT want us to start re-shaping the defense to do that.

As for Collins, I'd like to see him traded/cut. While talented, he plays with far too little effort and takes too many plays off. It's EXTREMELY noticeable and tends to hurt us quite a bit. Schobert is so freaking underrated and Kirksey has been dealing with injuries and hasn't played well. But Genard Avery has been fantastic and Jabrill Peppers (safety) has seen a lot of time playing a hybrid-kind of role. We definitely need to address our LB situation early in free agency or early in the draft. Or both. We need more speedy thumpers for our LBs though I suppose if Kirksey is healthy his athleticism would help us out. Our entire front 7 needs to be beefed up though especially DT.

I'm not too concerned about the secondary except for a little added depth for injuries, assuming we bring back our main guys.
    I kinda agree on Collins. But i think our D-line is more of an issue we need to address. Ogbah has been awful and we have no tackle. We need a Big guy (i prefer a vet) to throw next to Garrett and Ogunjobi. But we Need a run stopping tackle and a real good pass rusher.

G Joel Bitonio is replacing David DeCastro, who is supposedly injured (maybe he really is) in the Pro Bowl. I didn't know Bitonio he was moved back to guard from left tackle. Apparently, Cleveland put Rams draft bust Greg Robinson at LT and he did surprisingly well. I had already given up on him.

Getting back to 4-3 defense continuity, I think the Browns and the Cardinals should consider Marvin Lewis for DC. Before his long string of failures as the Bengals HC, he coordinated the 2000 Ravens defense. For you young fans out there, that championship unit was to defenses like an exotic million dollar power car such as a McLaren is to driving. But Marvin might be planning to take some time off.
    Bitonio never actually played a regular season game at LT. Harrison was the starter week one. Robinson came over and played very well for us. He's a FA and hope they resign him. Some guys just take longer to develop. But other then moving early a few times he was excellent.

Fired everyone except Ryan Lindley at QB coach?

That doesn't seem like a good move...
    First 4 years:
    Brown - 54 GP, 27 GS, 261 catches (63.3%) for 3,561 yds (8.6 AVG), 15 TD
    Landry - 64 GP, 57 GS, 400 catches (70.2%) for 4,038 yds (10.1 AVG), 22 TD

Huh. Wonder why Landry is getting paid so much...

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I was rooting for Gregg Williams to get this job, but I have a feeling his name is still too toxic to hire again as a full-fledged head coach.
    The Jets are about to make Triple-G their defensive coordinator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast