Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First off, we shouldn't have even been here anyway. Start 3-5, the offense near the bottom for the first half of the season, but then turned things around. The Rams are the way more talented team....and just like the analytics proved...the team that won the running game won. It really came down to fundamental football. The Rams offensive line was pushing around the Cowboys defensive line (which was supposed to be our strength). I still think we could use some beef in the middle. And Rams management has really stocked that team with stars...so much so they can even afford to lose Cooper Kupp. They also looked like the more well rested healthier bunch that had time to game plan for the Cowboys. McVay totally outcoached Kris Richard. Richard was a little over rated today...I don't think Marinelli should be pushed out the door just yet.

Really, it's the run defense that lost us this game. Every time the Rams touched the ball, they were moving it up and down the field. Zeke did not have a break out game. I know Dak gets some heat, but I don't think he should get that much blame, since he kept his cool. He made some mistakes, but he kept his cool and was really doing the best he could. I really have no idea why they didn't run him more....it was always so effective when Dak ran the ball and the defense was obviously keying in on Zeke. I really hope we get Frederick back...this line is not as dominant as a few years ago (still good). Maybe, not having a fully healthy Beasely also hurt. They should figure out why this offense isn't putting up more points. We can't seem to win a game where the opponent scores 30 points. Maybe, get some more targets for Dak to work with. Goff has so much firepower to work with. It's like you have to cover the entire field...and they don't even have Cooper Kupp, who was their best.

Its all about scheme even in the running game. The combo of Garrett/Linehan are living in the early 90s. Genius boy McVay (and he really is genius) runs everything out of the same formation with motion with the jet guy on every play so you dont know where he is going. Linehan telegraphs every play (Zeke 4th down dives) with formation. Our schematic concepts are horrible. Dak played well enough to win missing less open targets than Goff.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLNBA View Post
    Not sure what everyone thought we were. I'm grateful we got to see a game in January lol defense was a joke. I personally thought it was gonna fall on Dak but believe it or not he played okay. Defense and play calling cost us the game but a game we were not supposed to win anyway. Nobody expected us here.
    For once i agree with you Dak wasnt spectacular by any stretch but we were horribly out schemed. Not sure that will change

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    For once i agree with you Dak wasnt spectacular by any stretch but we were horribly out schemed. Not sure that will change
    Time for a new OC I think (we've pretty much felt that way all year, but this game showed us what an innovative offense can do). We have all the pieces for a modern offense, so we should use them correctly.

I also think our defense was just outschemed. They're really young and just didn't have what it takes to win a high stakes playoff game against a high octane offense. They held up in the red zone early on, but when they allowed 16 play drives each time they weren't going to last long. They should improve going forward though.

Looking forward to next year with Frederick returning, a full offseason with Cooper, time in the weight room for Connor Williams and more development from our other young players (including Dak). Just have to hope they'll bring in a new offensive coordinator who can spice things up a bit.

The news broadcasts made it sound like old guard's here to stay. They were already thinking of extending Garrett for another lucrative 5 year contract. It doesn't sound like there will be much change. If they are going to stick with these coaches, at least get some more help. I understand that coaching makes a difference, but early on, that defensive line was just getting pushed around. That's just man on man strength. I don't think this offensive line is as strong as a few years ago.
    Last edited by rocketfuel; 01-13-2019 at 06:37 PM.

All four home teams won their games. They had 2 of the top QBs of this past generation and 2 of the top QBs for the next generation. Sean Payton had a pretty good feel for the game. Calling that fake punt that shifted momentum and the changes on defense that he made. I don't know how teams don't go chasing after Foles Magic. That interception wasn't really his fault. He hit Jeffrey right in the hands and the Eagles probably wouldn't have had a chance if it wasn't for him.

4 things that lost game:

1. Zeke was non-existent. And once again OC proved his should be fired
    2. Defense as a whole didn't show up
    3. 4th Down the Cowboys didn't get
    4. Heath on Rams 3rd and 7 in last minutes screwed up royally to not give Boys one last chance.

Things that will make the Cowboys contenders next season:

1. New OC. Desperately needed.
    2. Fredrick comes back healthy and OL becomes best in NFL again.
    3. Continued growth of new version of triplets (Dak, Zeke, Coop)
    4. Sign Earl Thomas, what the D needs to get to next level

4 things that lost game:

4. Heath on Rams 3rd and 7 in last minutes screwed up royally to not give Boys one last chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboyz View Post
    4 things that lost game:

According to Jason Garrett, Linehan will stay as OC so that is not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bimbambum View Post
    According to Jason Garrett, Linehan will stay as OC so that is not going to happen.

If the Cowboys and Garrett refuse to let Linehan go and this is Garrett's decision then the Jones family should cut ties with Garrett. It was evident all season that Linehan was not cut out for the job. If our HC doesn't see this then it should really be the last straw and he should be fired along with Linehan.

How can you not fire the OC that basically lead your team to an offence that was bottom 5 in the league?

Something isn't right.

Fire Garrett promote Richards as your HC before he leaves to go someplace else. Keep Marinelli. Hire a legit OC like Jake Spavital in College ranks.
    Last edited by Daboyz; 01-14-2019 at 03:23 PM.

If the Cowboys and Garrett refuse to let Linehan go and this is Garrett's decision then the Jones family should cut ties with Garrett. It was evident all season that Linehan was not cut out for the job. If our HC doesn't see this then it should really be the last straw and he should be fired along with Linehan.

How can you not fire the OC that basically lead your team to an offence that was bottom 5 in the league?

Something isn't right.

Fire Garrett promote Richards as your HC before he leaves to go someplace else. Keep Marinelli. Hire a legit OC like Jake Spavital in College ranks.
    Totally agree, but unfortunately it looks like he is staying.
    FRISCO, Texas – Speaking Monday on 105.3 The Fan, Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said he expects offensive coordinator Scott Linehan to return in 2019.
    “We don’t anticipate any significant changes on our staff,” Garrett said, adding that the team is still in evaluation mode less than two days after its divisional-round playoff loss to the L.A. Rams.
    https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/g...o-return-as-oc

This coaching staff was good enough to get to 10-6 and basically look like contenders for a few years, but if they really want to compete with the likes of Sean Payton and Sean McVay, then they need some Yoda like grand master coaching genius. The 4 teams remaining have some of the smartest coaches in the game. Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Bill Bellicheck and Andy Reid. Sean Paayton was next level yesterday....part gutsy, part knowing exactly what he needed for that precise part of the team. Andy Reid seems to be very good at developing quarterbacks. It seems like as long as the Cowboys give hope and have these seasons where they "almost" look like contenders, Jerry will keep around his adopted red headed son. He loves Garrett and it goes beyond coaching. I think he genuinely like him as a person. We've had 2 superbowl coaches Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson and Jerry has chased them out the door. I've always felt like this team is too dependent on playing one way...and when that's taken away in the playoffs, they just can't adjust. Look at 2016. When we were pulled into a shootout we could not really keep up....and this year, when the strengths of this team were taken away, they just couldn't match up. The difference is that during the regular season, you're just going up against the rest of the league, where they are above average sometimes...but when they face elite coaching, then they have a harder time keeping chess move against chess move. I thought Kris Richard did terribly against Sean McVay....there's no reason to promote him this fast. Maybe, he was too focused on the interviews...but these coaches need to prove it on the field in crucial games.

Sounds like the Rams knew what defense was being called before the ball was snapped. Also the whole talking to the QB until 15 seconds on the play clock is wrong. The coach/OC should have about 5 - 8 seconds to call the play in, not analyse the defense before calling the play.

4 things that lost game:

As most of you guys know I am the biggest Dak supporter in this forum however there is one thing he should do especially in high leverage games and moments that he is continuously reluctant to do - run for the fricking 1st down when he has open lanes. There were a couple of points in the Rams game where he could have converted 3rd down with his legs. Having said that he was about number 20 on our list of issues. Coaching and scheme sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    This coaching staff was good enough to get to 10-6 and basically look like contenders for a few years, but if they really want to compete with the likes of Sean Payton and Sean McVay, then they need some Yoda like grand master coaching genius. The 4 teams remaining have some of the smartest coaches in the game. Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Bill Bellicheck and Andy Reid. Sean Paayton was next level yesterday....part gutsy, part knowing exactly what he needed for that precise part of the team. Andy Reid seems to be very good at developing quarterbacks. It seems like as long as the Cowboys give hope and have these seasons where they "almost" look like contenders, Jerry will keep around his adopted red headed son. He loves Garrett and it goes beyond coaching. I think he genuinely like him as a person. We've had 2 superbowl coaches Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson and Jerry has chased them out the door. I've always felt like this team is too dependent on playing one way...and when that's taken away in the playoffs, they just can't adjust. Look at 2016. When we were pulled into a shootout we could not really keep up....and this year, when the strengths of this team were taken away, they just couldn't match up. The difference is that during the regular season, you're just going up against the rest of the league, where they are above average sometimes...but when they face elite coaching, then they have a harder time keeping chess move against chess move. I thought Kris Richard did terribly against Sean McVay....there's no reason to promote him this fast. Maybe, he was too focused on the interviews...but these coaches need to prove it on the field in crucial games.
    We absolutely need a new offensive scheme that doesn't telegraph every play by the formation it is in pre-snap. I am also tiring on Garrett's "process" and his talking points "need to learn from this and get better". For the 2nd year in a row a 2nd year coach will be coaching in the NFC championship game. Pederson last year, McVay this year. Yet Garrett will be going into his 9th full season next year still claiming we have to learn from this and get better. Good god...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast