Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    As most of you guys know I am the biggest Dak supporter in this forum however there is one thing he should do especially in high leverage games and moments that he is continuously reluctant to do - run for the fricking 1st down when he has open lanes. There were a couple of points in the Rams game where he could have converted 3rd down with his legs. Having said that he was about number 20 on our list of issues. Coaching and scheme sucked.
    I don't like him running too much during the regular season, but in the deep playoff game that's when he needs to run. I think that's where the OC should have had some more planned runs for him. It was so obvious that they were keying in on Zeke. The only way to punish that is to either do what Brees and Mahones does through the air or to use his legs.

We absolutely need a new offensive scheme that doesn't telegraph every play by the formation it is in pre-snap. I am also tiring on Garrett's "process" and his talking points "need to learn from this and get better". For the 2nd year in a row a 2nd year coach will be coaching in the NFC championship game. Pederson last year, McVay this year. Yet Garrett will be going into his 9th full season next year still claiming we have to learn from this and get better. Good god...
    Garrett had a really gutsy call yesterday. I don't have issue that some have with him. I think there's a bit of hyperbole exaggeration. Either a coach is the best or the worst. A quarterback is the greatest or Blake Bortles. Garrett and his staff are good enough to get us into the playoffs 3 times in the last 5 years. But, that's where we seem to be stuck. The remaining 4 teams currently in the playoffs happen to be the top 4 offensive teams in the league, with the best coaches and the hottest quarterbacks. There's only a few truly great offensive gurus. I don't know where the Cowboys get them. You can always have even worse coaches like Hue Jackson, the Giants coach, the former Jets coach. Also, I think we need a stronger defensive tackle. The Colts kind of exposed a weakness in the defense and the Rams picked up on it in their film study.

Also I read that Garrett and Linehan are coming back, so it's almost futile to bemoan this. I do wish that Jerry wouldn't just have his mind made up and not consider looking around or doing due diligence. I always wondered what would it be like if we had kept Sean Payton. Even guys like Sean Payton and Andy Reid were available at one point.

My gut tells me that Garrett will be retained, Linehan will be let go, young OC type brought in from College ranks, Garrett takes back calling plays next season on offence until young OC is ready the following season to take over his strategy. Young OC will be a Saban protégé that knows his offensive system, a system the Cowboys try to deploy.

The problem isnt necessarily the play calling sequence but instead the fundamental scheme and base concept. Garrett plays offense defensively. They try to milk the clock as much as possible and turn everything into a 4th quarter coin flip game. May win lots of regular season games but a growing sample size that it doesnt work in playoffs. I would like to see a modern innovative more aggressive scheme as our QB matures into his 4th season. He is ready for a change.

In terms of a fan friendly superbowl that I'd most want to watch, it would probably be a Saints-Chiefs, just simply because you have two of the top gunslingers going at each other. It would be like the top veteran QB vs. the top young prodigy. Mahones throws passes that I don't think I've ever seen before. And for some reason, Brees just keeps performing at a high level even when his receivers (other than Michael Thomas) are not always the biggest names. I wouldn't mind a Rams-Chiefs Superbowl either...a rematch of that amazing game they played. I am not rooting for any team in particular, but in terms of brand of football, I really don't want to see the Patriots. They are not as exciting to watch. They pick you part, but it's more methodical. The Chiefs and Saints are just explosive and can get hot at any minute. Which ever way you cut it, the remaining teams are the top 4 offensive teams. Maybe that's what you need to win in this league. Maybe that's how the NFL has designed it.

I also thought CJ Anderson looked even better than Gurley against the Cowboys. Just pure power running right up the gut. It's surprising that he was cut so many times. I wouldn't mind him being a backup to Zeke. At least, keep him from having been picked up by the Rams. Instead of having an 80 percent Gurley, they got a CJ Anderson that could spell Gurley and also run hard yards.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I also thought CJ Anderson looked even better than Gurley against the Cowboys. Just pure power running right up the gut. It's surprising that he was cut so many times. I wouldn't mind him being a backup to Zeke. At least, keep him from having been picked up by the Rams. Instead of having an 80 percent Gurley, they got a CJ Anderson that could spell Gurley and also run hard yards.
    I watched analysis of the all-22s film. Cowboys heads were spinning with misdirection because of the McVay scheme. The Defense would take a step the wrong direction because of the deception and never adjusted which is a hallmark of a Jason Garrett team - no in game adjustments.

I watched analysis of the all-22s film. Cowboys heads were spinning with misdirection because of the McVay scheme. The Defense would take a step the wrong direction because of the deception and never adjusted which is a hallmark of a Jason Garrett team - no in game adjustments.
    I wonder if Kris Richard was a little distracted with all that head coaching talk. McVay had the linebackers confused for sure. Also, it seems like the Rams O line just physically outmuscled our defensive tackle and lineman out of the way to open that gaping hole in the middle. We need to get a stronger defensive tackle. It's almost like McVay figured out a way to go right at the Cowboys strength and make it a weakness.

I have also been watching the talk shows and wonder what would happen if Carson Wentz doesn't have another healthy season or struggles as a quarterback... what the hometown fans will think then. Nick Foles completely outplayed Wentz when it was against the top 4 seeded teams. Wentz pads his stats against bad teams, but when against the very top teams, his QBR rating drops. Foles releases the ball much faster, spreads it around more, is way more accurate on the deep balls.

It's going to be an interesting weekend. Andy Reid v. Bill Bellichek. The young gun Mahones vs. the veteran Brady. The young upstart Rams vs. the wily Saints. The Rams and Saints had been trading places back and forth with the #1 offensive rankings.

One thing is for certain - the 4 teams in the finals are the best offensive scoring teams in the league or very near the top. So much for the defensive resurgence late season. This actually the norm in that in the modern NFL (last 20 years) offensive efficiency is more highly correlated to winning than defense. Be cool to be great at both but being a top in league Offense is almost certainly going to get you into the tournament.

The defensive rankings did help get a lot of teams into the tournament: Chicago, Baltimore, Dallas, Houston. Even the Chargers and Seahawks were in the upper echelon. In terms of finishing high in the tournament, the top four offensive teams are there. New England has the best defense among the remaining teams, at least statistically. Rams and Saints have playmakers so they might end up having a better defense than their regular season stats indicates. Seeing how well Sean Payton, McVay, Bellicheck and Reid made adjustments, even right during the game, shows how elite you have to be to compete at the later stages. The highly ranked defenses and even fairly highly ranked offenses could not hang with the top 4 offenses, at least not this year. There was a time when teams like the Ravens and Giants were able to impose their will.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234