Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arizona to hire Kliff Kingsbury as it's next Head Coach

@PSchrags

Per sources, Kliff Kingsbury is finalizing a deal to become the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals. @nflnetwork @gmfb @NFLonFOX

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Thoughts?
    Candidate #1: "I have had 20 years of coaching experience. 10 super bowl rings as HC, and I have been instrumental in developing a winning culture at my every stop."

Candidate #2: "I once made Sean McVay laugh after meeting him once."

Team: "Candidate #2, you're hired."
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.

This seems insane. Kingsbury had a losing record at Texas Tech lol. Why on earth would they hire him?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This seems insane. Kingsbury had a losing record at Texas Tech lol. Why on earth would they hire him?
    I guess they think he's a good coach but not a good recruiter. This is the first time I've ever seen someone fail and end up in a better position though lol

Pretty confusing hire. The Cardinals organization seems like a mess right now.

Assuming he runs his offense from college (WFWR radio: We don't talk during your Four WR offense, and we play the hits), Larry Fitzgerald might decide to come back one more season to play the slot full time (easier for an old guy), and Christian Kirk plays the other slot where he played in college (and still learning from L-Fitz). On the outside, Chad Williams could be ready to blossom. They might have to sign or draft the other X/Z WR (or trade for Antonio Brown, if you want to get wild). David Johnson seems like the perfect RB for blazing past five-man or six-man boxes in dime defenses.

The problem will still be the offensive line. G Mike Iupati is coming back from injury, but is a free agent. Even if he re-signs, the rest of the line isn't going to be much, barring home runs in free agency and/or drafting. Bad OL play has already been bad news for Josh Rosen.

mgjohnson might be right about the recruiting thing. But even so, hiring a sub .500 college coach will make for some interesting (and angry) analysis/calls on Phoenix sports radio.
    Last edited by MidwestJimmy; 01-08-2019 at 06:22 PM.

I don't think his college record really means anything in regards to him working in the NFL. It is hard to recruit players to Lubbock, but it is known the Kingsbury is an offensive genius.

It is a little premature to go straight to NFL HC without coordinator experience, but these teams are all trying to get the next great offensive coach so I get it. The candidate pool of NFL guys is pretty poor.

I am glad he chose the Cards over the Jets.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I don't think his college record really means anything in regards to him working in the NFL. It is hard to recruit players to Lubbock.
    That may be a good point. On the other hand, Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald is limited to recruiting only real students and he has won three straight bowl games -- way better than Kingsbury. There's a reason why the Packers wanted Fitzgerald (but he wanted to stay in Chicago).

Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I don't think his college record really means anything in regards to him working in the NFL. It is hard to recruit players to Lubbock, but it is known the Kingsbury is an offensive genius.

It is a little premature to go straight to NFL HC without coordinator experience, but these teams are all trying to get the next great offensive coach so I get it. The candidate pool of NFL guys is pretty poor.
    He's a genius period if he can get a HC job in the NFL after being fired from being a HC in college who was fired for a sub .500 record lol

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    That may be a good point. On the other hand, Northwestern HC Pat Fitzgerald is limited to recruiting only real students and he has won three straight bowl games -- way better than Kingsbury. There's a reason why the Packers wanted Fitzgerald (but he wanted to stay in Chicago).
    The problem I think is that Texas Tech has no real recruiting trail. If you're a high school player in Texas, you go to Texas, Texas a&m, Oklahoma, OSU, and Baylor before you even consider Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    The problem I think is that Texas Tech has no real recruiting trail. If you're a high school player in Texas, you go to Texas, Texas a&m, Oklahoma, OSU, and Baylor before you even consider Tech.
    True. If you're from Illinois, it's either Northwestern, or Illinois (who's terrible, in spite of having Lovie Smith as HC) or Wisconsin (who's on the decline). Of course, if you're from Illinois, you probably can't play football worth a damn.

Speaking of Lovie Smith, have you seen him lately with that white beard? He looks like Grady from "Sanford and Son".

The hire is now officially official. The Cardinals just announced it.

Who?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast