Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    I really like the Shawn Mennenga hire, he is an excellent coach, and I think thats what they need. He may not be a "sexy" pick up, but I think he's similar to the Pettine hire last season. The thing which will be indicative of how successful he will be is this off-season. Will he have decent talent. Ted Thompson treated special teams as the red-headed step-child. Gute has to take this seriously. If you see a number of "unsexy" signings which look like depth, there is a good chance he is investing in special teams guys giving Mennenga the personnel he needs. Right now the special teams crop is a steaming pile of crap to be honest. If there is not an effort to get at least average players to play special teams then Mennenga will likely end up much like the Zooks and Slocums before him.

The Packers announced that theyíve hired Luke Butkus as assistant offensive line coach and Rayna Stewart as a special teams quality control coach. Butkus, the nephew of NFL Hall of Famer Dick Butkus, will work under new Green Bay OL coach Adam Stenavich, while Stewart will advise new ST coordinator Shawn Mennenga.
    profootballrumors.com

The Green Bay Narrative
    The Podcast about Packers fans hosted by a Packers fan.
    http://www.thegreenbayguy.com/podcast.html

Looks like they are taking special teams quite seriously they have two people working under Menennega. The Butkus hire seems interesting, not just in the name. Illinois has been a mediocre program, but it was not because of their OL. Their O-line was one of the better units in college football. I would also think working with Lovie Smith has to have some benefit on how to function as an NFL coach. What's starting to become clear in my eyes is they are looking at developing more guys. I think both the OL and WR coaching hires indicate an intention to develop guy with guys who work with development. They have a few guy who can help with that transition. The only concern I would have with this coaching staff is obviously is the youth and potential lack of NFL experiance with some of their coaches, but that's not to say these guys won't succeed. However, as they keep adding guys I like the shape this staff is taking.

This staff kinda seems more built towards the future than it does the present. Not saying itís a bad thing but Rodgers isnít getting any younger. Hopefully they can put a good enough roster together that the youth of the coaching staff wonít be a hindrance.

I think having some experience in a successful NFL locker room is important, but I don't view youth as an issue for coaches. It may be more of an advantage to be honest. Players respond differently to coaches than they used to. Having that guy who's been a coach for 30 years isn't as much of an advantage anymore.

The bears turnaround had a few reasons. Nagys offense was better than what they had. Mitch improved a little. They added talent on both sides of the ball. But they also had swagger and I think Nagy helped that.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think having some experience in a successful NFL locker room is important, but I don't view youth as an issue for coaches. It may be more of an advantage to be honest. Players respond differently to coaches than they used to. Having that guy who's been a coach for 30 years isn't as much of an advantage anymore.

The bears turnaround had a few reasons. Nagys offense was better than what they had. Mitch improved a little. They added talent on both sides of the ball. But they also had swagger and I think Nagy helped that.
    I think their defense was more of the reason for their success than what Nagy did and their offense. If they had a middle of the pack defense they wouldnít have reached 10 wins imo.

I just feel that our coaching staff is young top to bottom outside of a couple coaches. Like I said I donít think itís a bad thing but I do think the lack of experience could be an issue at least for the upcoming season. We just saw in the sb what experience can do against young and inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    I think their defense was more of the reason for their success than what Nagy did and their offense. If they had a middle of the pack defense they wouldnít have reached 10 wins imo.

I just feel that our coaching staff is young top to bottom outside of a couple coaches. Like I said I donít think itís a bad thing but I do think the lack of experience could be an issue at least for the upcoming season. We just saw in the sb what experience can do against young and inexperience.
    Mack is great but was the only real defensive change on a team that improved by 5 wins. The atmosphere was part of it too. There was an obvious culture change with the team too. I think Nagy played a big part in that as well.

Mack is great but was the only real defensive change on a team that improved by 5 wins. The atmosphere was part of it too. There was an obvious culture change with the team too. I think Nagy played a big part in that as well.
    I would disagree with that statement, Mack was a huge addition, and it had to give that unit huge confidence. Just the presence of a Mack on defense would have been a shift. Roquan Smith was stellar for that defense. He was a huge addition to this roster and a lot of players like Eddie Jackson took that turn in their career.

Where I don't disagree with you is Nagy shifted the culture. They had a winning coach and well respect coach in John Fox who simply ran his course. McCarthy while a much more successful and lengthy tenure in Green Bay ran his course. I think Nagy transformed Trubisky into a serviceable QB, and there was a new energy in the locker room. The message was likely believed, but I would say gained a lot of traction when Khalil Mack joined this team too. I agree the atmosphere was a big part of that shift. Early reports have a number of key players buying into LaFleur. That's what they need is to buy in and execute the program.

I think the Bears and the Rams have some things to show for the Packers. We have the new voice and the new energy, not it's time to get the right pieces in place. Your not going to get Khalil Mack, but this defense gains a lot more credit if you go out an nab a Dee Ford, DeMarcus Lawrence, or Jadaveon Clowney as well as a few key depth pieces. Top that with a decent draft. I know not the most popular pick, but I think Devin White is the guy this Packers defense needs.

Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I would disagree with that statement, Mack was a huge addition, and it had to give that unit huge confidence. Just the presence of a Mack on defense would have been a shift. Roquan Smith was stellar for that defense. He was a huge addition to this roster and a lot of players like Eddie Jackson took that turn in their career.

Where I don't disagree with you is Nagy shifted the culture. They had a winning coach and well respect coach in John Fox who simply ran his course. McCarthy while a much more successful and lengthy tenure in Green Bay ran his course. I think Nagy transformed Trubisky into a serviceable QB, and there was a new energy in the locker room. The message was likely believed, but I would say gained a lot of traction when Khalil Mack joined this team too. I agree the atmosphere was a big part of that shift. Early reports have a number of key players buying into LaFleur. That's what they need is to buy in and execute the program.

I think the Bears and the Rams have some things to show for the Packers. We have the new voice and the new energy, not it's time to get the right pieces in place. Your not going to get Khalil Mack, but this defense gains a lot more credit if you go out an nab a Dee Ford, DeMarcus Lawrence, or Jadaveon Clowney as well as a few key depth pieces. Top that with a decent draft. I know not the most popular pick, but I think Devin White is the guy this Packers defense needs.
    Point is mack alone isn't a five win player. Nagy shifted the culture. Whether they maintain or not remains to be seen, but he helped. And he was a young coach. I think younger coaches can reinvigorate teams more so than the old guard, hard nosed football guys these days.

Point is that the defense was the reason for the playoff run. Sure Nagy mightíve changed the culture or whatever but outside of a few trick plays that offense was extremely average. If they didnít have that defense then they probably wouldíve been an 8-8 team

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Point is that the defense was the reason for the playoff run. Sure Nagy mightíve changed the culture or whatever but outside of a few trick plays that offense was extremely average. If they didnít have that defense then they probably wouldíve been an 8-8 team
    No one is arguing that. But their defense was pretty good the year before too. And their offense was even worse the prior year.

No one is arguing that. But their defense was pretty good the year before too. And their offense was even worse the prior year.
    Yeah a good defense that added a defensive mvp type player makes a huge difference. Adding Mack to a top 5-10 defense is unfair lol. Not taking anything away from Nagy. Just saying their defense was the main reason for their playoff run. This will be a big year for Nagy. If that offense doesnít take it up a level then Iím sure there will be some level of frustration in Chicago. His main job is to get Tribisky playing at a high level. Guess we will see if they can pull it off. If he does then he will be coach of the year and the bears will be sb contenders.

I guess my point is more about young coaches not being a sign of a rebuild. The type of person players respond to is different than it used to be. The in your face, scream at players and publicly chastise them guys don't get as much out of players as they used too. It's not a tough love world anymore and that's not how you get the most out of guys. The veteran coaches who've adjusted are still successful. Guys like Payton and Arians have had that type of personality. But the guys who are still those tough love guys arent getting it out of guys.

And that's partially why we see this young coach revolution. Most of the guys hired have more of that personality. Coaching and players are more in a partnership than ever before. The younger coaches get that and the old wave don't as much.

And that was more of my point with Nagy than anything. That roster as a whole improved last year. There were some luck things, especially on defense where they could regress. (History suggests they'll force less turnovers next year and they stayed remarkably healthy on defense.) But nagy energized the team and that is real. Whether he can keep thst up remains to be seen, but that helps. It's also why you hear guys race about playing for Mcvay and Shanahan.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819