Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 70 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1529
    Bring back Everson....end, middle, wherever, he should be in purple
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Bring back Everson....end, middle, wherever, he should be in purple
    I actually saw him at a nail salon in EP a few weeks ago. Didn't realize it was him at the time cause he had a mask on and was on the way out. Checked out his Instagram after, saw he was in MN, and recognized his wife from the pictures. Plus he was massive and got in a 80,000k+ SUV. Not sure if he lives here permanently but safe to say he has some roots here. Not sure the Kirk comments helped his chances though.

Bored and decided to play around a little with over the cap calculator etc. to see our options. I think the best way to get under cap and maybe have enough for a couple cheap non min signings is cut Rudy/Stephen and then also Barr. Barr and Rudy being post June 1 cuts will save a little more cap too (and push a little bit further out which I am generally against but my assumption here is we are all in around Cousins at this point). Reiff and Smith also restructure hopefully saving a few more. I tried moving forward cutting Rieff but I just don't think it makes sense to need 2 spots on the oline with limited cap and only one pick top 75. Ezra/Bradbury/Oniell and a rookie/cheap option spells yet another year of blaming the oline for our struggles so I think we probably try and keep him.

It wouldn't give us a ton of cap room, basically 12.7 without the restructures and then you need to factor in the draft picks too. Between say 15 mil in space/the draft we need to fill the holes of S/LB/DT/DE/G/WR3. I think Wilson resign at LB, a S like Hooker and a DT like maybe Casey would be alright with Everson returning home/resign Odenigbo cheap too and a 3 wr from the list mentioned earlier of cheap options too. Just an idea as many ways it could go but then you could go Oline early in draft (maybe trade back to get more ammo).

I keep trying to think of something much better that we can do but it feels like we are so limited by the cap at this point. I just don't see how we get a true contender around Kirk at QB these next couple years tbh. I think the basic idea above might be a playoff team, 10-6 type. Hunter and Pierce are the biggest additions for us no matter what way we go with the limited cap/draft pick most likely.

With a lot of teams having cap issues though, how far do we think 25ish million would go if we did also cut Rieff?

Think there will be a lot of bargain signings this FA where it might be worth it for the extra cap?

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Bored and decided to play around a little with over the cap calculator etc. to see our options. I think the best way to get under cap and maybe have enough for a couple cheap non min signings is cut Rudy/Stephen and then also Barr. Barr and Rudy being post June 1 cuts will save a little more cap too (and push a little bit further out which I am generally against but my assumption here is we are all in around Cousins at this point). Reiff and Smith also restructure hopefully saving a few more. I tried moving forward cutting Rieff but I just don't think it makes sense to need 2 spots on the oline with limited cap and only one pick top 75. Ezra/Bradbury/Oniell and a rookie/cheap option spells yet another year of blaming the oline for our struggles so I think we probably try and keep him.

It wouldn't give us a ton of cap room, basically 12.7 without the restructures and then you need to factor in the draft picks too. Between say 15 mil in space/the draft we need to fill the holes of S/LB/DT/DE/G/WR3. I think Wilson resign at LB, a S like Hooker and a DT like maybe Casey would be alright with Everson returning home/resign Odenigbo cheap too and a 3 wr from the list mentioned earlier of cheap options too. Just an idea as many ways it could go but then you could go Oline early in draft (maybe trade back to get more ammo).

I keep trying to think of something much better that we can do but it feels like we are so limited by the cap at this point. I just don't see how we get a true contender around Kirk at QB these next couple years tbh. I think the basic idea above might be a playoff team, 10-6 type. Hunter and Pierce are the biggest additions for us no matter what way we go with the limited cap/draft pick most likely.

I think the best way to improve it would be to Trade Reiff and/or Barr. I think Barr could fetch a 3rd rounder to the right team. He missed last year with a not as serious injury not horrible play so I don't think he'll be viewed as worthless and had suiters last year. Reiff could be a trade piece to move from round 3-2 with the right team. (Eagles/Steelers/Bengals/Chargers/Rams/Seahawks)

Itís really hard to guess on cap space without knowing what extensions for Harry and/or Reiff would look like. My assumption is that Harry will be the top priority since he has been a cornerstone since basically day 1, he has no cap guaranteed cap left, and besides Hunter and maybe Kendricks he is the one guy we canít afford to lose. Itís possible an extension could have his base salary in 2021 be as low as the league minimum. That would make sense because long term we can afford it with the cap expected to shoot up once the new NFL TV deal goes through. Iím not sure how an extension for Reiff would look. I would guess they would have to tear up his old deal to have any substantial cap savings this year but Iím no cap expert. I donít think this will be the year we move on from Barr, especially after the way our D looked last year and with Wilson likely moving on. We can save a decent bit of money cutting this year but I donít think it makes sense at the moment. It would make more sense next season. Weíll save more money and have a smaller cap hit. Plus maybe Dye steps up in year 2 and gives you a capable replacement. Restructuring Barr makes no sense because you would lose the ability to cut him next year. I think restructuring Hunter makes a lot of sense. If the reports are true he wants a new deal then that would put the Vikings into a tough spot. Trading him would be to detrimental to the team but another extension is risky because of his injury. Converting his base salary into a bonus might be enough to hold him over another year while he proves his health. That would give the team more cap space this year.

Rudy is the only obvious one to be cut. Stephen should be obvious as well but for some reason this organization seems to really like him. He should be cut but I could see sticking around with so much uncertainty behind Pierce. We could squeeze a few pennies by cutting Bailey and Colquitt but then your back to square one again needing a new special teams unit. Bailey might be cut regardless but Colquitt is good enough.

No matter what we do the Vikings will be going bargain shopping this year but that may actually not be a bad thing. A lot of teams are in a tough situation cap wise so maybe the Vikings can find some decent value after the big fish are gone. Itís going to be interesting thatís for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    I think the best way to improve it would be to Trade Reiff and/or Barr. I think Barr could fetch a 3rd rounder to the right team. He missed last year with a not as serious injury not horrible play so I don't think he'll be viewed as worthless and had suiters last year. Reiff could be a trade piece to move from round 3-2 with the right team. (Eagles/Steelers/Bengals/Chargers/Rams/Seahawks)
    Interesting ideas, if we could move them for a little value that would certainly be nice. I just saw your mock offseason in the other thread and think you did a good job moving on but filling in the holes (specifically oline which is my worry with Rieff, we would need to bring in a Thuney type then imo).

The other option they could explore is extending Cousins again. Maybe pitch a 4/5 year deal at a reasonable #. No idea what his feelings are on Minnesota but I think Kirk is at a point where he has gamed the system to max his earnings over the years and maybe he'll take a bit lower for a commitment to minny and their commitment to him for a Superbowl run.

I'd be fine with Kirk for 4 more years as long as it helps the team add/retain the right pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Itís really hard to guess on cap space without knowing what extensions for Harry and/or Reiff would look like. My assumption is that Harry will be the top priority since he has been a cornerstone since basically day 1, he has no cap guaranteed cap left, and besides Hunter and maybe Kendricks he is the one guy we canít afford to lose. Itís possible an extension could have his base salary in 2021 be as low as the league minimum. That would make sense because long term we can afford it with the cap expected to shoot up once the new NFL TV deal goes through. Iím not sure how an extension for Reiff would look. I would guess they would have to tear up his old deal to have any substantial cap savings this year but Iím no cap expert. I donít think this will be the year we move on from Barr, especially after the way our D looked last year and with Wilson likely moving on. We can save a decent bit of money cutting this year but I donít think it makes sense at the moment. It would make more sense next season. Weíll save more money and have a smaller cap hit. Plus maybe Dye steps up in year 2 and gives you a capable replacement. Restructuring Barr makes no sense because you would lose the ability to cut him next year. I think restructuring Hunter makes a lot of sense. If the reports are true he wants a new deal then that would put the Vikings into a tough spot. Trading him would be to detrimental to the team but another extension is risky because of his injury. Converting his base salary into a bonus might be enough to hold him over another year while he proves his health. That would give the team more cap space this year.

Rudy is the only obvious one to be cut. Stephen should be obvious as well but for some reason this organization seems to really like him. He should be cut but I could see sticking around with so much uncertainty behind Pierce. We could squeeze a few pennies by cutting Bailey and Colquitt but then your back to square one again needing a new special teams unit. Bailey might be cut regardless but Colquitt is good enough.

No matter what we do the Vikings will be going bargain shopping this year but that may actually not be a bad thing. A lot of teams are in a tough situation cap wise so maybe the Vikings can find some decent value after the big fish are gone. Itís going to be interesting thatís for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ya to me Rudy/Stephan are the easiest cuts to make. I really dislike us continuing the recent trend of pushing cap back more and more but I think at this point it is about our only option. I wouldn't go overboard and would try to make the hits take place next year (making it very easy to move on from Cousins/Zimmer/Speilaman with only one down year if needed). I think Harrison and Rieff make sense as extension candidates too where maybe lower the hit this year. I find it hard to believe we keep Rieff+Barr and even potentially stephan too, seems near impossible unless we are really really loading up contracts for future years in these extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jorge 69 View Post
    The other option they could explore is extending Cousins again. Maybe pitch a 4/5 year deal at a reasonable #. No idea what his feelings are on Minnesota but I think Kirk is at a point where he has gamed the system to max his earnings over the years and maybe he'll take a bit lower for a commitment to minny and their commitment to him for a Superbowl run.

I'd be fine with Kirk for 4 more years as long as it helps the team add/retain the right pieces.
    I really do not want to extend him and he has seemingly said he wants to play out the contract as well. Link below gets into it a little.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-in-minnesota/

I think that is fine though, extending him the first time was a bit questionable itself and many would prefer we hadn't. I think we would feel even worse about extending him further. I don't think this team will make it overly far behind Kirk unless it is at a very team friendly price and that is not something Kirk is remotely known for. I say make the moves this season to get as much talent as possible and if we sneak into the playoffs but not much more then he gets next year too. If we miss playoffs we blow it up with new coach/GM and they can move on from Cousins whenever they wish, just have 1 year of a massive cap hit then would be free from him completely.

Kirk is the second best QB in team history behind Fran. That's crazy to think about but when you look at our longevity at the QB spot the only other QB that has played this many games is probably Daunte.

I've tossed around the idea of cutting Reiff. I don't necessarily like it, but, if the team feels Ezra is ready then you make the move or you obviously plan to take one in the first round. Which, I believe Christian Darrisaw will be our guy at 14 anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Kirk is the second best QB in team history behind Fran. That's crazy to think about but when you look at our longevity at the QB spot the only other QB that has played this many games is probably Daunte.

I've tossed around the idea of cutting Reiff. I don't necessarily like it, but, if the team feels Ezra is ready then you make the move or you obviously plan to take one in the first round. Which, I believe Christian Darrisaw will be our guy at 14 anyways.
    I don't really like it either. The issue I have with cutting Reiff is that the OL will again struggle to be better. You're either doing 3 things if you cut Reiff: Moving Cleveland to LT (which means we need 2 guards), leaving Cleveland at G and drafting a LT in the first, or you're going to sign a vet LT. I don't feel great about any of those options. Regarding FA's, Trent Williams is the best FA but he's not a real option. The others (Okung/Villanueva/Robinson) are either a downgrade or will still cost 10+ million per season. A rookie/inexperienced LT is risky. I would rather just give Reiff an extension that lowers his cap hit this year and then focus on finding a LG. It's the safest path.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post

Tommy Kramer and Daunte both had more than a handful of good years for us.

IMO you cut Reiff only to re-sign him at a lower rate. Starter or not, we still need depth.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Tommy Kramer and Daunte both had more than a handful of good years for us.

IMO you cut Reiff only to re-sign him at a lower rate. Starter or not, we still need depth.
    Daunte was good for about half of what he was with us. Things were looking good up until the injury as he had just put up back to back good year but he struggled the year after his MVP performance. That's the thing with him, he wasn't consistent.
    Kirk has been good ever since he took on being a starter. 6 straight seasons of at least 25 TD's.

Reiff is still good so there is no way he would come back at a discount (unless we extend him then maybe) when teams are dying for average OL play. He would get paid a nice sum on the market.

Prime Daunte was so much fun. Dude was built like a linebacker with a cannon for an arm.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Page 70 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast