Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    20,811

    Round 3: Vikings select QB Kellen Mond with the No. 66 overall pick

    KELLEN MOND
    QB, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
    Apr 30, 2021, 9:40 PM ET

    Vikings selected Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond with the No. 66 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

    Mond (6í3/211) was a four-star recruit and three-year starter under coach Jimbo Fisher. Overshadowed by a tough SEC schedule and poor receiver play, Mond delivered a mostly accurate ball to all levels of the field and largely avoided turnovers (19 TDs to 3 INTs as a senior). Mond isnít an aggressive passer, but he throws a catchable ball, often leading his receivers away from contact. His senior year 7.7 YPA average, experience against NFL-level defensive schemes, and above-average physical traits give him a path to starts in the pros and provides him with a floor as a backup. Mond adds some juice as a rusher (35 rushing yards per game at Texas A&M), although his lengthy build leaves him with just straight-line speed (4.64 forty) rather than power or wiggle. Mond, 21, has some intrigue as a Colin Kaepernick-level player. Thanks to his rushing potential, Mond would hold some fantasy intrigue if Kirk Cousins were to miss time in 2021. Cousins is under contract with Minnesota through the 2022 season.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    19,080
    I havenít checked this out yet but apparently Chris Simms has a good history of evaluating QBs. Simms is high on Mond and actually ranked him higher than Fields and Lance. Mond was his 4th ranked QB and his #1 player on his big board heading into round 2.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    13,731
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I havenít checked this out yet but apparently Chris Simms has a good history of evaluating QBs. Simms is high on Mond and actually ranked him higher than Fields and Lance. Mond was his 4th ranked QB and his #1 player on his big board heading into round 2.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't real thrilled but then I started to see a lot of stuff about him come thru on Twitter. Sounds like he has a lot of upside and it really smart. Great arm but isn't as aggressive as they would like.

    I've seen some comps to Dak and Kap. His body type and the way he holds and throws the ball reminds me of Kap.

    Simms seems to have a pretty good track record with QB's. I recall reading something on that a while ago when he released his QB rankings. I'm excited to see if we can develop him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    197
    I am ok with this pick. To me he seems like a 2-3 year development guy but could be a great pick down the road. Finally a QB to develop lets see the Vikes can do it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16,711
    Here's a list, by pick in their draft, of every QB we've ever drafted
    Year Round Player Pick
    1999 1 Daunte Culpepper 11
    2011 1 Christian Ponder 12
    1977 1 Tommy Kramer 27
    1961 3 Fran Tarkenton 29
    2014 1 Teddy Bridgewater 32
    1970 2 Bill Cappleman 51
    2006 2 Tarvaris Jackson 64
    2021 3 Kellen Mond 66
    1973 4 Mike Wells 80
    1979 4 Steve Dils 97
    1965 8 John Hankinson 100
    1995 4 Chad May 111
    2008 5 John David Booty 137
    1985 6 Steve Bono 142
    1993 7 Gino Torretta 192
    1981 8 Wade Wilson 210
    2007 7 Tyler Thigpen 217
    1992 9 Brad Johnson 227
    2020 7 Nate Stanley 244
    1961 20 Mike McFarland 267
    1969 11 Brian Dowling 277
    1976 10 Bill Salmon 289
    1987 11 Brent Pease 295
    1968 15 Jim Haynie 387
    1972 16 Neil Graff 414
    1968 17 Bob Lee 441

    Yes, on the one hand we can say our history of drafting QBs isn't exactly loaded with studs.
    On the other, every QB drafted higher than Mond was drafted with the idea of becoming the franchise QB within a couple years (outside of maybe Cappleman). So, while drafting Fields in the 1st was apparently on the table and would definitely have started a clock for Cousins, Mond in the 3rd should get his attention, but not piss him off (as some in the media wondered). The Vikings did, btw, let Kirk know they might be drafting one.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Here's a list, by pick in their draft, of every QB we've ever drafted
    Year Round Player Pick
    1999 1 Daunte Culpepper 11
    2011 1 Christian Ponder 12
    1977 1 Tommy Kramer 27
    1961 3 Fran Tarkenton 29
    2014 1 Teddy Bridgewater 32
    1970 2 Bill Cappleman 51
    2006 2 Tarvaris Jackson 64
    2021 3 Kellen Mond 66
    1973 4 Mike Wells 80
    1979 4 Steve Dils 97
    1965 8 John Hankinson 100
    1995 4 Chad May 111
    2008 5 John David Booty 137
    1985 6 Steve Bono 142
    1993 7 Gino Torretta 192
    1981 8 Wade Wilson 210
    2007 7 Tyler Thigpen 217
    1992 9 Brad Johnson 227
    2020 7 Nate Stanley 244
    1961 20 Mike McFarland 267
    1969 11 Brian Dowling 277
    1976 10 Bill Salmon 289
    1987 11 Brent Pease 295
    1968 15 Jim Haynie 387
    1972 16 Neil Graff 414
    1968 17 Bob Lee 441

    Yes, on the one hand we can say our history of drafting QBs isn't exactly loaded with studs.
    On the other, every QB drafted higher than Mond was drafted with the idea of becoming the franchise QB within a couple years (outside of maybe Cappleman). So, while drafting Fields in the 1st was apparently on the table and would definitely have started a clock for Cousins, Mond in the 3rd should get his attention, but not piss him off (as some in the media wondered). The Vikings did, btw, let Kirk know they might be drafting one.
    that list made me puke a little in my mouth!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    19,080
    According to Ben Goessling, the Vikings made an effort to trade up for Fields but it wasn't unanimous in their building. Some scouts liked Mond as much as Fields. Some were concerned about Fields' epilepsy. They weren't going to give up a ton to get Fields when they liked Mond as much they do.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,749
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    According to Ben Goessling, the Vikings made an effort to trade up for Fields but it wasn't unanimous in their building. Some scouts liked Mond as much as Fields. Some were concerned about Fields' epilepsy. They weren't going to give up a ton to get Fields when they liked Mond as much they do.
    Seriously? Ugh that hurts I really liked him going in if we had pulled this off I would have been going crazy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16,711
    Let's say we moved up and took Fields.
    What would things look like now?

    We wouldn't have Darrisaw, firstly. We wouldn't have a few other picks, including possibly Davis. And, we'd have a top of the 1st round QB everyone would be assuming would be replacing Cousins sooner rather than later....and we wouldn't have a 1st rd pick next year most likely.

    So we'd owe Cousins over $50 million while looking over his shoulder. We'd be asking a lot of questions about our OL. But hey, we'd have Fields I guess.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,749
    Ya we would have holes this year and then have the cap to eat next but if we traded cousins next off-season and used our mid round pick next year etc. then we fill those holes. Year 3 we have eaten the cap we pushed down the road and can maybe add another fa or two along with draft class and you now have completed the rebuild with your QB at a steal of a price.

    In the end it always comes down to how good he is though. I see the potential to be elite for fields so to me this route makes sense. Iím just surprised they were considering it given we seemed all in on this team around cousins until draft time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    16,711
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya we would have holes this year and then have the cap to eat next but if we traded cousins next off-season and used our mid round pick next year etc. then we fill those holes. Year 3 we have eaten the cap we pushed down the road and can maybe add another fa or two along with draft class and you now have completed the rebuild with your QB at a steal of a price.

    In the end it always comes down to how good he is though. I see the potential to be elite for fields so to me this route makes sense. Iím just surprised they were considering it given we seemed all in on this team around cousins until draft time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cousins is a $45mil cap hit if on the team but still a $10mil dead cap hit if he isn't next offseason. So how much do we eat to trade him?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    19,080
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Cousins is a $45mil cap hit if on the team but still a $10mil dead cap hit if he isn't next offseason. So how much do we eat to trade him?
    All of it. His 2022 salary became fully guaranteed at the beginning of the off season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,749
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Cousins is a $45mil cap hit if on the team but still a $10mil dead cap hit if he isn't next offseason. So how much do we eat to trade him?
    Ya I think it would be all of it as noted above thatís why I said next year we would still be eating the cap (we have to either way) but with this idea a team trading for him is getting a qb without the hit to compete so should pay us more. Sf is probably out but I think that could be attractive to some team.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Posts
    19,080
    So Rick Spielman compared Mond to Teddy. Now we know why Mond was drafted lol
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    20,811
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    So Rick Spielman compared Mond to Teddy. Now we know why Mond was drafted lol
    I guess at least he didn't compare him to Ponder
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •