Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,545

    Most interesting cuts your team can make.

    For 2/3rds the NFL, the year is over.

    As we dawn on the offseason, we're closing in on the time of guys that could be but before roster bonuses are due. This always results in some surprising cuts, and guys we didn't expect.

    So who are the candidates of guys that could be cut from your team that some wouldn't expect? Why would they cut? How much would you save?

    PROCESSING

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,545
    For my Steelers I think there's three:

    Marcus Gilbert - The combo of Feiler and Chucky Oak performed really well in his place. We would save nearly $5mil in releasing him. He' been really injury prone his entire career.

    Bud Dupree - Bud had not improved, and was given the 5th year option. Given he was not injured, his 5th year option was not guaranteed. Cutting him would save $9.2 million on the cap.

    Morgan Burnett - He was on and off the field, and when he was on he might as well have been off. Did not provide anything and 3rd year man Sean Davis along with rookie Terrell Edmunds played a greater number of snaps with no difference in production. Cutting Burnett would result in a $3.6mil savings.

    Those three cuts alone would save $17.8 million on the cap for the Steelers, and can be paired with the $14.5mi rollover from Bell to add an additional $32.3 mil in cap space for 2019.

    PROCESSING

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    28,451
    I'm not sure if it would be a huge surprise but good chance Phins cut ties with Ryan Tannehill.

    Also see vets Robert Quinn and Kiko Alonso be cut/traded due to cap hits.

    Those three cuts are alone are $30,893,155 in savings.

    Oh and doubt we bring back Devote Parker on his 5th year either.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10,332
    Packers have some interesting choices. They shoudl have a ton of cap space regardless, but they have choices on both nick perry and Jimmy Graham. Neither one saves a ton of cap this year, but both have been major disappointments and just getting them off the books to avoid future penalties is probably worth it.

    Bryan Bulaga is another tough choice. Packers would save almost $7 mill in cap and he's constantly banged up. But when healthyz he's worth the contract. So hell be the interesting guy I think.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,349
    If Andy Benoit is to be believed, Cam Newton, due to nearly zero dead money and the injured shoulder. But he's only 20M next year and a one armed Cam is better than anything we could draft or buy.

    Our obvious ones that could be a bad starter/depth elsewhere: Torrey Smith, Captain Munnerlyn, Matt Kalil. I guess maybe Greg Olsen could be cut for no cap gain, but I'd imagine he'd just go be a commentator.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,545
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    If Andy Benoit is to be believed, Cam Newton, due to nearly zero dead money and the injured shoulder. But he's only 20M next year and a one armed Cam is better than anything we could draft or buy.

    Our obvious ones that could be a bad starter/depth elsewhere: Torrey Smith, Captain Munnerlyn, Matt Kalil. I guess maybe Greg Olsen could be cut for no cap gain, but I'd imagine he'd just go be a commentator.
    For all of Cam's faults that would be stupid after spending the last 2 years reshaping the offense to fit him.

    Trying to do the tall WR possession crap was a waste of his talents. Now they got a bunch of deep threats, an elite scat back in CMC. Get him an OLine and he might finally hit his hyped status.

    PROCESSING

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,349
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    For all of Cam's faults that would be stupid after spending the last 2 years reshaping the offense to fit him.

    Trying to do the tall WR possession crap was a waste of his talents. Now they got a bunch of deep threats, an elite scat back in CMC. Get him an OLine and he might finally hit his hyped status.
    The problem is if Cam's shoulder has structural damage (which it supposedly doesn't) and he can't throw the deep ball anymore them he doesn't fit the offense. The tall lazy worthless WR thing was always stupid and did nothing but breed lame "Cam's inaccurate" takes.

    If Cam can't gets cut for anything other than a for-sure ruined shoulder this team deserves to be the NFC Browns

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Posts
    24,156
    Kyle Long could be asked to take a pay cut. Could also stay. Not sure. He is making a lot and constantly hurt. But a good player when on the feild. Will have to see


    ‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

    -Rem Koolhaas

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    8,074
    Everson Griffen has been a beast, a locker room team leader, and (despite his issues this year) an all around solid young man.....but he's 12mil on next year's cap, 31 yrs old, and Weatherly's play (and a couple other young guys in the wings) might give the Vikings strong consideration to let him walk to open up some cap room for, oh I don't know, an O line.

    Anthony Barr wouldn't be a cut, but is an interesting situation. When properly used he is an athletic freak, but he's made Pro Bowls in years that make Vikings fans scratch their heads because Zimmer has NOT always properly used him (see Rams game where Zim stuck him trying to cover Cooper Kupp for example).......so the question is, what does Barr realistically get for offers?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,545
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Everson Griffen has been a beast, a locker room team leader, and (despite his issues this year) an all around solid young man.....but he's 12mil on next year's cap, 31 yrs old, and Weatherly's play (and a couple other young guys in the wings) might give the Vikings strong consideration to let him walk to open up some cap room for, oh I don't know, an O line.

    Anthony Barr wouldn't be a cut, but is an interesting situation. When properly used he is an athletic freak, but he's made Pro Bowls in years that make Vikings fans scratch their heads because Zimmer has NOT always properly used him (see Rams game where Zim stuck him trying to cover Cooper Kupp for example).......so the question is, what does Barr realistically get for offers?
    Barr is a guy I want my Steelers to go after. I think he could be a guy to replace the Shazier role in our defense.

    PROCESSING

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8,708
    Browns are pretty young and have a ton of cap space, so there's not many big name cuts we can make.

    Biggest is probably Jamie Collins. Hasn't lived up to his contract and we'd save 10.5 million if we let him go. He occasionally makes a nice play but he just doesn't give the kind of effort you want to see. Takes a lot of plays off. 29 years old.

    Doesn't make sense financially to get rid of Kirksey, and perhaps with full health and a new defensive scheme (he hasn't play well in 3G's scheme) he'll improve.
    Believe the hype. The Baker has come.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    12,880
    Rodney McLeod and Tim Jernigan, although I could also see contract restructures there. These are good players but not worth their 2019 cap hits.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,166
    For the Cowboys most expect Sean Lee will be released. That’s really the only surprising cut I think they’ll make.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    14,973
    Raiders recently fast tracked some roster bonuses so a few guys that some though would be cut will likely not be. Those players are Tahir Whitehead, Jordy Nelson, and Lee Smith.

    A surprise cut may be Kelechi Osemele. He really struggled this year and dealt with injuries. Isnt really a fit in Cable's system. Has over 10M in salary and no dead money.

    Donald Penn- Penn would save 5.5M if cut. Penn really comes down to whether they want to continue with raw but struggling rookie Brandon Parker or go with the vet Penn for the RT spot.

    Seth Roberts- Interesting enough when Roberts scores a TD Raiders are like 11-1 in those games. Still he is inconsistent and would save 4.5M.

    Never Forget

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    In a crib
    Posts
    24,205
    Jason Peters (decline option)
    Nick foles (decline option)
    Rodney McLeod
    Tim jernigan
    Michael Bennett


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Your baby can't do this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •