Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    These trade possibilities and potential additional picks are intriguing/exciting to consider. Thoughts?

https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/g66l-...teams-cou.html

If you're going to do it , which I would, I would go big. I would trade with the Broncos or Dolphins and get a first and second this year and another couple picks next year.
    The thing is, I don't believe there to be a QB for which teams will break the bank on a trade.

**** off. Where's my title

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    If you're going to do it , which I would, I would go big. I would trade with the Broncos or Dolphins and get a first and second this year and another couple picks next year.
    The thing is, I don't believe there to be a QB for which teams will break the bank on a trade.
    QB is such a priority position that someone will overvalue them

Yeah, their line manhandled the Texan's front 7. I had no idea how quick Mack was. He is a fun back to watch.

I think some of Mac's pick choice was overly influenced by the coaches. There was a report regarding him giving his coaches major leeway. I agree about the line but I also don't think it has to be in the draft. This year it should be. That's why they should trade back. You need more picks and then take 2 OL.
    But would you be bummed if they took Bosa?
    That's the tough part. You can't fault the coach for making the obvious pick but people often do.
    There is no doubt this team needs to improve the line. I think it will be the priority.

Then you know what? He should have been let go with Bowles. Mac was the director of college scouting with the Texans before becoming the GM with us. HE has the experience, not the coaches. And I don't buy that he was influenced by the coaches, if that was the case during your entire time as the GM here you have yet to draft a CB in the first 3 rounds of any draft. Bowles defense is predicated on having that ALPHA CB to make his defense work. Mac is the ONLY GM in the NFL in the past four years to NOT draft an offensive linemen in the first 5 rounds. You mean to tell me that there wasn't at least ONE lineman to draft in the past couple years in the first 5 rounds? If he doesn't understand that you have to build an O-line through the draft, then he doesn't deserve to be a GM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthJerseyJet View Post
    Then you know what? He should have been let go with Bowles. Mac was the director of college scouting with the Texans before becoming the GM with us. HE has the experience, not the coaches. And I don't buy that he was influenced by the coaches, if that was the case during your entire time as the GM here you have yet to draft a CB in the first 3 rounds of any draft. Bowles defense is predicated on having that ALPHA CB to make his defense work. Mac is the ONLY GM in the NFL in the past four years to NOT draft an offensive linemen in the first 5 rounds. You mean to tell me that there wasn't at least ONE lineman to draft in the past couple years in the first 5 rounds? If he doesn't understand that you have to build an O-line through the draft, then he doesn't deserve to be a GM.
    I'm not arguing that he didn't pick an OL. I am suggesting that because Bowles was forced on him as a coach, he may have made concessions that he may not normally have made to keep the peace.

I also don't think a GM's success should be predicated on what other GMs do or don't do. Maybe they did feel there wasn't a lineman worth taking ahead of the players they had as the BPA in said round. They traded up for Shell. Most thought him to be drafted to high. He's a solid OL. He's not a star but he's good.
    Something tells me that if he hand't drafted a WR in the first 4 rounds and had drafted all OL, you'd be complaining that he hadn't drafted a WR in the first 4 rounds.
    Mac is not great but he's not horrible. He has been middle of that pack. He did not hire a coach of his choice. It was very unusual to hire a coach before a GM. Mac didn't come into a normal situation .
    Now he has hired his own coach. If after this year, the team shows no improvement, complain away but give him a chance with a coach he chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    QB is such a priority position that someone will overvalue them
    Understood but we will need a couple QBs available to get that lucky. SF or Arizona could easily trade back as well, that's my fear.

Understood but we will need a couple QBs available to get that lucky. SF or Arizona could easily trade back as well, that's my fear.
    Then you take Bosa.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

I wonder if the Jets would look at Robert Quinn if he gets cut by Miami.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Yeah, that Seattle FG really sucks now...but I think Bosa is at least one pick ahead of us, so weíre likely concerned about 1 team

Cameron wake?

Ford was a monster tonight.. I canít see KC letting him get away but man he would be a huge pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuckFaston View Post
    Ford was a monster tonight.. I canít see KC letting him get away but man he would be a huge pickup.
    Yeah I donít see it either. I wonder if they cut Houston? Though thatís more likely in 2020

I'm not arguing that he didn't pick an OL. I am suggesting that because Bowles was forced on him as a coach, he may have made concessions that he may not normally have made to keep the peace.

I also don't think a GM's success should be predicated on what other GMs do or don't do. Maybe they did feel there wasn't a lineman worth taking ahead of the players they had as the BPA in said round. They traded up for Shell. Most thought him to be drafted to high. He's a solid OL. He's not a star but he's good.
    Something tells me that if he hand't drafted a WR in the first 4 rounds and had drafted all OL, you'd be complaining that he hadn't drafted a WR in the first 4 rounds.
    Mac is not great but he's not horrible. He has been middle of that pack. He did not hire a coach of his choice. It was very unusual to hire a coach before a GM. Mac didn't come into a normal situation .
    Now he has hired his own coach. If after this year, the team shows no improvement, complain away but give him a chance with a coach he chose.

That's pretty much the gist of this. I don't wanna hear about concessions, BPA in said rounds, etc. When you're building a team with as many holes as the Jets have you have to spread around the picks. Drafting ONLY TWO lineman in 4 years is a disgrace. Then people wonder why year in and year out it's the weakest position on the team.

Ok, they traded up for Shell. And? Let's not act like he's the 2nd coming of DíBrickashaw Ferguson. Shell has been a mediocre linemen at best. Look who else is on the O-Line, of course with the lack of talent he's playing with on the o-line he's gonna look, "solid/good". Going by profootball focus numbers he's been a very mediocre linemen at best.

I'm not saying he had to pick ALL OL in the first 4 rounds. Like I said, you're building a TEAM you have to SPREAD around your picks to areas of need, not BPA. It's late January in New Jersey (It's 8 degrees with a windchill of -10 as I type this). Sure, I'd like a Lambo and Ferrari, but I NEED a 4X4 SUV to get through the ice and snow. Obviously the SUV is not as sexy as the sports cars, and the sports cars are better, but the SUV fills my area of need. They may not be "sexy draft picks" but if the talent is there for area of need then Mac has to start drafting offensive lineman. Drafting 2 in 4 years is unbelievable. Especially when the only 2 you picked, you have one who is mediocre at best and the other is not even in the NFL anymore.

I still hold him responsible for the bad drafts, because at the end of the day the coaches or whoever didn't have THAT much influence on who Mac should or shouldn't draft.

I agree, in general a Maccagnan has not been a good drafter. Blaming his coaching staff for blowing the picks isnít a legitimate excuse.

If Nathan Shephard doesnít step it up then heís maybe the worst 3rd round evaluator we have had. Blowing every single 3rd round pick is inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuckFaston View Post
    I agree, in general a Maccagnan has not been a good drafter. Blaming his coaching staff for blowing the picks isnít a legitimate excuse.

If Nathan Shephard doesnít step it up then heís maybe the worst 3rd round evaluator we have had. Blowing every single 3rd round pick is inexcusable.
    Jordan Jenkins was a third round pick.

And no, it's not an excuse that he let coaches have too much influence in drafting but it is a possible reason for some bad picks that didn't have to do with his analysis. It needs to change for sure. He needs to have a very good off season.

Looking into my crystal ball - here how things may play out...

In free agency, I think they fill some O-Line holes right away. I can certainly see them picking up Ja-Wuan James from Miami. New coaches always seem to take some players with them, and he would be an upgrade at RT or even moving inside to guard.

Obviously they are going to make a run at Le'Von Bell... and I think they get him. We all know it's been reported that he prefers Indy, but does Indy want to over pay - knowing Mack is undervalued and a lot cheaper? It's about the money for Bell - and I think he would like the limelight of NY over Indy, all things being equal (contract-wise). Especially now that Darnold is showing he is an up-and-comer. Think "endorsements"! I'd be surprised if he goes to Indy for less money, and Mac needs to make a splash. His seat could get real warm, depending how this offseason goes.

On defense - I think they get one of the following: Dee Ford, Clowney, Shane Ray or Dante Fowler. Mac has already shown that he prefers to spend money on younger FA's, and additional edge rushers will be needed for a the 4-3 defense Williams will run. Ford is the oldest at 28. (They will still look to fill this in the draft too - more on this later)... and a 4-3 SLB would be helpful too. Anthony Barr should be a main target there.

Then I think the Jets want to move back in the draft - but wont do so until the draft day. The Jets have been lucky sitting tight, and having the presumptive #1 fall to them lately... and I think it can happen again. With the success of Mahommes in KC - and the NFL being a copy cat league - I predict that Haskins & Murray will both shoot up the draft boards as the draft gets closer.

Depending how the draft then falls ahead of them, they could have Bosa fall to them (if AZ & SF trade down, like they would like to) - OR - if one of those QB's fall, they can trade back themselves with Jax, NYG, or Denver looking for a QB (and listening to Denver radio out here, I can testify that the Broncos fan base wants Elway to do what he has to, to draft a QB. It's getting close to rebellion time out here for Elway). If the Jets trade back into that 5-10 range - they take Josh Allen, Clelin Ferrell or Jonah Williams.

I could be wrong about all this - so flame away... Just how things logically would seem to look, right now. I'm curious what everyone thinks?
    Last edited by Denver Jim; 01-23-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast