Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I think the knock on Haskins is that he hasn't started many games in college. But if you watch his game film and especially some of those high profile Big 10 matchups, he has all the tools.

What I like about him is that even though he's a physical specimen and superb athlete, he is a pocket passer who uses his strength and mobility to be a pass first QB. From what I saw, he goes through his progressions quickly and smoothly. He looks off safeties to get receivers open and then hits his target in stride. He is accurate and has a huge arm. He seems to make all the throws - short, mid and long range. And when needed, he is strong and fast and can run for yardage. He just seems to have a really good feel for the game.

He's a bit of a project because of lack of experience, but his talent is off the charts. I'd take him and put him behind Eli for a year to learn. His learning curve would be steep and I think we could end up with a superb replacement for Eli.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants-NL-3 View Post
    Can anyone explain how exclusive rights work for a ERFA?
    Basically the same as RFA but they only have a year or two in the league and can not negotiate with other teams. The price to keep them is usually cheap and they rarely are cut unless the team needs roster space or the player just really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Basically the same as RFA but they only have a year or two in the league and can not negotiate with other teams. The price to keep them is usually cheap and they rarely are cut unless the team needs roster space or the player just really sucks.

But if they can’t negotiate with other teams they have absolutely zero leverage right? I mean, can we then just offer them a vet min contract that they basically have to accept because they can’t negotiate with other teams anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    Is anybody fully sold on Haskins and why? Frankly haven’t seen a lot of college ball this year

I'm not fully sold on him but I won't be upset about the pick. He's a guy who has amazing physical prowess and a mind beyong his age and experience. He is an excellent game manager and can dissect a defense in real time as he showed in the rose bowl.

His fault though is his inexperience and he holds the ball too long. But those are fixable and the talent and mind is just too good to pass up.

He's not my first pick cause I feel that getting defense is more important, but he's definitely someone you can build on.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants-NL-3 View Post
    But if they can’t negotiate with other teams they have absolutely zero leverage right? I mean, can we then just offer them a vet min contract that they basically have to accept because they can’t negotiate with other teams anyways?
    Well they can’t negotiate unless they are released. But yeah they have no real power. Basically the team calls the shots on these guys. But having such short deals means they’re likely not top tier players. So teams often give them what they’re worth or agree to cut them loose and test the market.

IDK what I hate more... the idea of having to pay Nick Foles big money or the idea of having to actually root for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

The only thing about Haskins that is a legitimate concern is the lack of experience. College QB's who enter the draft with so little starts tend to be riskier at the next level. If he went back to school and had another strong year like he just had... he'd be a no brainer top 10 pick.

In a week QB class though, he'll probably go top 10 anyway, but the risk is there.
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I think the knock on Haskins is that he hasn't started many games in college. But if you watch his game film and especially some of those high profile Big 10 matchups, he has all the tools.

What I like about him is that even though he's a physical specimen and superb athlete, he is a pocket passer who uses his strength and mobility to be a pass first QB. From what I saw, he goes through his progressions quickly and smoothly. He looks off safeties to get receivers open and then hits his target in stride. He is accurate and has a huge arm. He seems to make all the throws - short, mid and long range. And when needed, he is strong and fast and can run for yardage. He just seems to have a really good feel for the game.

He's a bit of a project because of lack of experience, but his talent is off the charts. I'd take him and put him behind Eli for a year to learn. His learning curve would be steep and I think we could end up with a superb replacement for Eli.
    I agree with all of that. Risky, but this might be the right move now. The safer move is to go BPA and continue to build up the talent base on this team, but when you need a QB, you have to roll that dice eventually.
    Marmolololololol

Really hoping the Giants pass on Haskins. Being a Michigan fan, I watched a lot of College Football, especially Haskins and Ohio State. I think the guy has tremendous upside and has all the tools to be a very capable starter in the NFL, but Ohio State does not run a very complex/advanced offensive scheme. Usually a primary read, secondary read, check-down scheme that doesn't require you going through your progressions as much as a typical pro-style offense would require.

Like all quarterbacks, he was vulnerable when he was pressured. When you gave him time, he looked like the second coming of Peyton Manning. Little bit more parity in the NFL from a talent perspective. Will not have that to fall back on when he faces pressure.

This draft is defensive line and offensive line heavy. Would love the Giants to make that the priority for 2019, struggle for one more year, and then draft a QB in 2019 when the QB class is loaded.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

St. Louis Cardinals:
    1926 • 1931 • 1934 • 1942 • 1944 • 1946 • 1964 • 1967 • 1982 • 2006 • 2011
    New York Rangers:
    1927–28 • 1932–33 • 1939–40 • 1993–94
    New York Knicks
    :
    1970 • 1973
    New York Giants:
    1986 • 1990 • 2007 • 2011

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Swift n Sil3nt View Post
    Really hoping the Giants pass on Haskins. Being a Michigan fan, I watched a lot of College Football, especially Haskins and Ohio State. I think the guy has tremendous upside and has all the tools to be a very capable starter in the NFL, but Ohio State does not run a very complex/advanced offensive scheme. Usually a primary read, secondary read, check-down scheme that doesn't require you going through your progressions as much as a typical pro-style offense would require.

Like all quarterbacks, he was vulnerable when he was pressured. When you gave him time, he looked like the second coming of Peyton Manning. Little bit more parity in the NFL from a talent perspective. Will not have that to fall back on when he faces pressure.

This draft is defensive line and offensive line heavy. Would love the Giants to make that the priority for 2019, struggle for one more year, and then draft a QB in 2019 when the QB class is loaded.
    You do realize this is what’s been said of all the young QBs in the league now that are thriving? Dak,Goff, Baker, Watson, Mahomes etc?
    the New York Football Giants select.....

Gil Brandt(who I believe is very good at his job): “As for Manning, I think he's got two good seasons left in him...I would think about drafting a quarterback to develop behind Manning, but at this point, the Giants' best option is probably finding some extra talent to put around the 37-year-old.”

Aka fix the OL and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Gil Brandt(who I believe is very good at his job): “As for Manning, I think he's got two good seasons left in him...I would think about drafting a quarterback to develop behind Manning, but at this point, the Giants' best option is probably finding some extra talent to put around the 37-year-old.”

Aka fix the OL and defense.
    Gil and Pat Kirwan are the two guys I trust the most. They are right more often than not.

And if he’s right and the Giants are on the same page, it means all these “cut or trade Eli” people are going to be really pissed when they see his contract get extended and renegotiated a year so that the Giants can lower his 2019 cap number.

After Lauletta got no time in the last two weeks, I think it’s quite clear that Eli is the starter next season, unless they get some kind of amazing trade offer and Eli doesn’t veto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift n Sil3nt View Post

Ehhhh Haskins actually does a pretty good job reading defenses and looking away safeties. His weakness is he holds on to the ball a tad bit too long and he isn’t great at creating outside of the pocket. He’s a pure pocket passer. He reminds me of Jared Goff alil

^That's the exact thing I saw when I watched him play. Very susceptible to NFL sacks because he just holds it a tad too long to make sure he loves the play. But he reads the defense very well and can manipulate the safeties. I think the thing with Haskins is his strengths are amazing innate abilities that you can't teach, while his flaws are things that you are okay with from young QB because they are fixable and a hard worker will fix them.

Having him and Barkley would be a great 1-2 because both seem like great leaders and hard workers who go out there and give it their best in the game and outside the game

Would you trade Beckham to the 49ers for their first and third round picks?

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast