Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Lions DE Romeo Okwara quietly playing like a top-10 edge defender

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/...-rush-win-rate

Last year, the Detroit Lions weren’t getting much out of their edge defenders. While Trey Flowers was doing just fine, Devon Kennard provided very little for the defense, especially when it came to pass rushing. This graph that traveled the internet really highlighted the issues the Lions were having with Kennard. He was very rarely double teamed, yet provided almost no pressure for Detroit:

So this offseason, the Lions decided to cut ties with Kennard, despite him being a vocal leader of the defense. To many fans’ dismay, however, they did not appear to replace Kennard during free agency. They did add Julian Okwara in the third round of the NFL Draft, but it was clear he was more of a long-term project.

Instead, it has been his brother, Romeo Okwara, who has stepped up in a big way in 2020. Through seven weeks of the NFL season, Okwara is now knocking on the door of being a top-10 edge rusher in the NFL. Yes, I am serious.

He may only have 4.0 sacks on the season, but his pressure rate is outstanding. According to ESPN’s pass rush win rate metric—which tallies a “win” every time the defender beats his blocker in 2.5 second or less—Okwara is now 10th among all edge defender. Per PFF’s Pass Rushing Productivity (PRP) statistic—which combines sacks, hits and hurries—Okwara is tied for sixth in the league. And his overall pass rush grade is a solid 71.7 (20th among edge defenders).

This is a huge jump in production for Okwara. He had just 1.5 sacks last year, and although he had 7.5 back in 2018, his pass rush grade was just 50.3, suggesting he was benefiting more from the players around him. But this year, it’s all about Okwara, and head coach Matt Patricia has taken notice:

“I think Romeo has been unbelievable,” Patricia said after Okwara’s two-sack performance against the Falcons. “Really he and Trey Flowers are two guys that come to work every single day and they make each other better. They really spend a lot of time together talking about the game and techniques and how they practice, they stay after practice a lot and they work on individual just fundamental skills and stuff like that, and I think you can just see the growth that Romeo has had certainly just being out there and playing and getter better every single week, but it’s not a surprise because he works really hard.”

As a result of his hard work—and some schematic changes out of the bye—the Lions overall pass rush has shown massive improvements over the past few games. What was once clearly the worst pass rush after three games of the season is now showing serious week-by-week progress.

Here’s a look at their cumulative pass rush rate by week per ESPN.

After 3 games: 19 percent (32nd)
    After 5 games: 32 percent (31st)
    After 6 games: 37 percent (27th)

Obviously, they still have a long way to go, but in a matter of three games, the Lions managed to double their pass rushing efficiency for the year. The arrow is pointing up.
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

I didn’t know we had brothers on the team...
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

That cumulative pass rush win rate is intriguing. I know it's against bad teams, but I'm glad to see it.

Wonder if we can hit rivers....he tends to hold the ball too long.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    That cumulative pass rush win rate is intriguing. I know it's against bad teams, but I'm glad to see it.

Wonder if we can hit rivers....he tends to hold the ball too long.
    Rivers has looked terrible all year. He's gonna pick us apart this week.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Rivers has looked terrible all year. He's gonna pick us apart this week.
    He sorta of picked us a part last year with the Chargers only to throw a INT near the end of the game. The Chargers have a worst OL than he has now with the Colts.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

He's only been sacked 6 times this year. Their line is pretty damn good. Yea, he's slow and shot puts the ball but has a very quick release. I'll be surprised if they sack him more than 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    He's only been sacked 6 times this year. Their line is pretty damn good. Yea, he's slow and shot puts the ball but has a very quick release. I'll be surprised if they sack him more than 1.5.
    so lions are getting 10 sacks this week...they always do what we don't think they can do.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    so lions are getting 10 sacks this week...they always do what we don't think they can do.
    I tend to avoid anyone playing on DraftKings FOR or AGAINST Detroit for this reason. So unpredictable, and not in a good way.

Week 1: Montgomery will feast! Nope...64 yards, 0 TDs. Trubisky had a big game though...

Week 2: If Trubisky can do that, it will be ARod all day long! Nope...240, 2 TDs. AJones had 230 all purpose yards though and 3 TDs.

Week 3: Okay, lets target the running game vs Detroit. Kyler & Drake are gonna kill us! Nope. Drake 73 yards, Kyler 29 yards rushing and 3 INTs.

Week 4: Starting to get confused. Surely Brees & Kamara will light us up. Nope. Brees 246 yards passing, Kamara 83 on the ground. Meh.

Week 6: Okay, **** it, not playing any more Lions games. But wait...JAX? This is gonna be wild. Minshew & Robinson are gonna go off! Nope. Minshew 243 yards, Robinson 29 (!).

Week 7: Man, I wanna stay away but DET/ATL. Julio was insane last week...Ryan & Jones gotta eat here right??? Nope. Ryan 1 TD, Julio 0 TDs, Ridley 69 yards.

Week 8: Colts. New route...gonna start playing the opposite of normal. You know who's been horrible all year? TY Hilton. 0 TDs so far. He's gonna go off. Maybe...

And its not like the Lions D is good. Other teams just play down to their ****** level. Always ugly games in Detroit.
    Last edited by whooligun; 10-29-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    I tend to avoid anyone playing on DraftKings FOR or AGAINST Detroit for this reason. So unpredictable, and not in a good way.

Week 1: Montgomery will feast! Nope...64 yards, 0 TDs. Trubisky had a big game though...

Week 2: If Trubisky can do that, it will be ARod all day long! Nope...240, 2 TDs. AJones had 230 all purpose yards though and 3 TDs.

Week 3: Okay, lets target the running game vs Detroit. Kyler & Drake are gonna kill us! Nope. Drake 73 yards, Kyler 29 yards rushing and 3 INTs.

Week 4: Starting to get confused. Surely Brees & Kamara will light us up. Nope. Brees 246 yards passing, Kamara 83 on the ground. Meh.

Week 6: Okay, **** it, not playing any more Lions games. But wait...JAX? This is gonna be wild. Minshew & Robinson are gonna go off! Nope. Minshew 243 yards, Robinson 29 (!).

Week 7: Man, I wanna stay away but DET/ATL. Julio was insane last week...Ryan & Jones gotta eat here right??? Nope. Ryan 1 TD, Julio 0 TDs, Ridley 69 yards.

Week 8: Colts. New route...gonna start playing the opposite of normal. You know who's been horrible all year? TY Hilton. 0 TDs so far. He's gonna go off. Maybe...

And its not like the Lions D is good. Other teams just play down to their ****** level. Always ugly games in Detroit.
    I do think Detroit is getting good at taking away what you want to do best...they just can't make that next step of capitalizing on that where it hurts your game.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!