Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 161
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    They'll probably hire him as OC.
    Being reported that they want him as offensive line coach and assistant head coach. They're looking for a forward thinking offensive coordinator who can bring some college concepts to Denver. They wanted to interview the 49ers QB coach for the job, but he was blocked by the 49ers

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,684
    It sounds like there might be some bad blood brewing between the Broncos and Steelers. There’s reports that the Broncos attempted to interview Munchaks long time assistant, who is the assistant OL coach for the Steelers. Issue is the Steelers never granted permission and he’s under contract for two more years. They reportedly made an offer to his agent anyways.

    PROCESSING

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    It sounds like there might be some bad blood brewing between the Broncos and Steelers. There’s reports that the Broncos attempted to interview Munchaks long time assistant, who is the assistant OL coach for the Steelers. Issue is the Steelers never granted permission and he’s under contract for two more years. They reportedly made an offer to his agent anyways.
    I haven't seen that.

    The whole issue with coaches needs to get fixed imo. Far too many teams are blocking their guys from getting promotions. In the NFL, an OC is classified the same way as a QB coach so according to the rules, it's not a promotion. I think it needs to change to say any promotion of title.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    14,918
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I haven't seen that.

    The whole issue with coaches needs to get fixed imo. Far too many teams are blocking their guys from getting promotions. In the NFL, an OC is classified the same way as a QB coach so according to the rules, it's not a promotion. I think it needs to change to say any promotion of title.
    Pretty soon it's going to be in college where we've got Co-Coordinators. The NFL already has passing and rushing game coordinator spots. The NFL needs to be clear on what is a promotion now and what isn't.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    12,955
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I haven't seen that.

    The whole issue with coaches needs to get fixed imo. Far too many teams are blocking their guys from getting promotions. In the NFL, an OC is classified the same way as a QB coach so according to the rules, it's not a promotion. I think it needs to change to say any promotion of title.
    I don't see the issue with that. Coaches have a say on the length of their contract.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I don't see the issue with that. Coaches have a say on the length of their contract.
    Personally I'm into rewarding good work and bettering individuals, but to each their own I guess.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Pretty soon it's going to be in college where we've got Co-Coordinators. The NFL already has passing and rushing game coordinator spots. The NFL needs to be clear on what is a promotion now and what isn't.
    I agree.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    12,955
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Personally I'm into rewarding good work and bettering individuals, but to each their own I guess.
    I'm not against those things.

    But contracts exist for a reason.

    If coaches want to be rewarded for good work and better themselves as individuals, they can simply sign 1-year contracts.

    The NFL has way too much coaching turnover as it is; extending the same rule that applies to head coaching jobs to coordinator jobs would be silly in my opinion.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,684
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I haven't seen that.

    The whole issue with coaches needs to get fixed imo. Far too many teams are blocking their guys from getting promotions. In the NFL, an OC is classified the same way as a QB coach so according to the rules, it's not a promotion. I think it needs to change to say any promotion of title.
    So I think the issue with this one is he has (from what I was reading) a provision that it Munchak leaves, an auto-kicker that makes him the OL coach. Because Munchaks contract expired (something he planned with the Rooney’s after the HC interest last year), the Rooney’s consider this guy the OP coach. And (I’ll do my best to get the report for you) it sounds like the Broncos are trying to offer both the OL coach job.

    PROCESSING

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,684
    Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    I'm not against those things.

    But contracts exist for a reason.

    If coaches want to be rewarded for good work and better themselves as individuals, they can simply sign 1-year contracts.

    The NFL has way too much coaching turnover as it is; extending the same rule that applies to head coaching jobs to coordinator jobs would be silly in my opinion.
    Not only that in cases of lateral moves teams should always hold the right to say no.

    In terms of a step up...I like the compensation idea but in the end it hurts coaches more than helps them.

    PROCESSING

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Not only that in cases of lateral moves teams should always hold the right to say no.

    In terms of a step up...I like the compensation idea but in the end it hurts coaches more than helps them.
    It's not a lateral move though.

    And I'd love to hear how it hurts coaches to get a promotion with another club.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    So I think the issue with this one is he has (from what I was reading) a provision that it Munchak leaves, an auto-kicker that makes him the OL coach. Because Munchaks contract expired (something he planned with the Rooney’s after the HC interest last year), the Rooney’s consider this guy the OP coach. And (I’ll do my best to get the report for you) it sounds like the Broncos are trying to offer both the OL coach job.
    Maybe what happened is they wanted the assistant as their oline coach and found out that he's technically the actual oline coach because Munchak's contract expired.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    51,684
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    It's not a lateral move though.

    And I'd love to hear how it hurts coaches to get a promotion with another club.
    As part of a compensation situation? So let's say the QB coach of say the Texans sees a situation where he could be the QB coach of say Seattle. What's to stop the Texans for asking for something unreasonable. Or lets say there's compensation for hiring a guy to a promotion, whats again to stop from asking for so much that bringing that guy in becomes unreasonable? So you can ultimately have a coach stuck in a position that he no longer wants.

    PROCESSING

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,575
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    As part of a compensation situation? So let's say the QB coach of say the Texans sees a situation where he could be the QB coach of say Seattle. What's to stop the Texans for asking for something unreasonable. Or lets say there's compensation for hiring a guy to a promotion, whats again to stop from asking for so much that bringing that guy in becomes unreasonable? So you can ultimately have a coach stuck in a position that he no longer wants.
    Oh I misunderstood lol. My bad.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    [emoji288]
    Posts
    12,955
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    And I'd love to hear how it hurts coaches to get a promotion with another club.
    It certainly doesn't hurt them financially.

    But take the 2016 head coach hires as an example. The only one left is Doug Pederson.

    A quarter of the league is handing out promotions every year and the reason they do so is typically not a positive one.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •