Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I cant just over look this. Not as a fan. There are plenty of things that I can. People make mistakes. But there's a a time when I cant just say "we all make mistakes" and DV is across that line. Where the line begins and ends? I can't quite say, I just know DV is across it for me. The circumstances around the situation seem it more likely than not that he absolutely had some form of DV take place. It's bigger than baseball.

For his sake, I do hope he learns. But if it were up to me, it wouldn't be under contract with the Chicago Cubs or any of my favorite teams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

He hasn't been charged or convicted of anything. Until he has been I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Cubs and MLB are a big business. Public perception is the lifeblood of that business. With all of the attention that domestic violence and sexual harassment are getting (rightfully so) I would think that Addison would be out of MLB if there were more to the story. You're a fan your opinion is your prerogative and you are entitled to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    He hasn't been charged or convicted of anything. Until he has been I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. The Cubs and MLB are a big business. Public perception is the lifeblood of that business. With all of the attention that domestic violence and sexual harassment are getting (rightfully so) I would think that Addison would be out of MLB if there were more to the story. You're a fan your opinion is your prerogative and you are entitled to it.
    With the account she had, I have a hard time believing he didn't absolutely do something very wrong. That isnt to say she may not have also done something wrong, but as they say about two wrongs...

I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt when the MLB suspends him, the Cubs publicly state they're working towards getting him help, Russell has offered a public apology and didn't fight the suspension. There will be no more evidence uncovered here in almost all likelihood.

We seem to have this sentiment of assuming all sports players didn't commit DV unless you physically see Ray Rice knock a woman unconscious or Kareem Hunt kick someone on video. I think we have enough on this one to suggest that Addison Russell did something very wrong in some way. That's enough for me to never want to see him wear a Cubs uniform again. I'm not saying put him in jail with the information we have. I'm not a legal, court of law. But as a fan, there's far too much smoke there for me to have any interest in enjoying him as a baseball player any more.

We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

With the account she had, I have a hard time believing he didn't absolutely do something very wrong. That isnt to say she may not have also done something wrong, but as they say about two wrongs...

I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt when the MLB suspends him, the Cubs publicly state they're working towards getting him help, Russell has offered a public apology and didn't fight the suspension. There will be no more evidence uncovered here in almost all likelihood.

We seem to have this sentiment of assuming all sports players didn't commit DV unless you physically see Ray Rice knock a woman unconscious or Kareem Hunt kick someone on video. I think we have enough on this one to suggest that Addison Russell did something very wrong in some way. That's enough for me to never want to see him wear a Cubs uniform again. I'm not saying put him in jail with the information we have. I'm not a legal, court of law. But as a fan, there's far too much smoke there for me to have any interest in enjoying him as a baseball player any more.

Then don't.

Then don't.
    It's not up to me. I'm not going to actively root against the Cubs. Russell is going to take PAs and play FOR the Cubs.

Sadly there is not a choice I get to make in the decision. I wish the team simply would have waived him. I'm not looking forward to him being on the team.

We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

It's not up to me. I'm not going to actively root against the Cubs. Russell is going to take PAs and play FOR the Cubs.

Sadly there is not a choice I get to make in the decision. I wish the team simply would have waived him. I'm not looking forward to him being on the team.

Then its obviously not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. It is absolutely up to you. You can choose to no longer support the Cubs franchise if you feel so strongly about the issue of DV. I know I would. If I knew that he was actually guilty of DV, and the Cubs were complacent because he was a good ball player, Then I would absolutely not watch the Cubs anymore.

But there in lies the problem... we don't actually know. The difference between you and I is that I acknowledge that and reserve judgement.

And GO EAGLES!!!!!!

Its weird that on a board with only a few posters, there are three (that I know of ) Cubs AND Eagles fans.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Then its obviously not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. It is absolutely up to you. You can choose to no longer support the Cubs franchise if you feel so strongly about the issue of DV. I know I would. If I knew that he was actually guilty of DV, and the Cubs were complacent because he was a good ball player, Then I would absolutely not watch the Cubs anymore.

But there in lies the problem... we don't actually know. The difference between you and I is that I acknowledge that and reserve judgement.
    There are 24 other players on that franchise that haven't been suspended for DV. I choose to not support the domestic abuser. Kris Bryant, to my knowledge, has done nothing to lose my support.

The Cubs, as well, have stated they would like to help Russell. They're not completely complacent. In the end, it's Russell who most likely took part in an illegal act. Not the Chicago Cubs. So it puts a weird situation on the Cubs where if you choose to be a fan of the Chicago Cubs, and Addison Russell takes a PA, or plays in the field, and one must then essentially either root against the team or root for Addison Russell. It's a situation, as a fan, I wish I didn't have to decide.

I understand why the Cubs didn't release Russell. They have plenty invested in him as a player, and seem to at least, somewhat, want to help him. But if I were the Cubs, I wouldn't have done that.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

There are 24 other players on that franchise that haven't been suspended for DV. I choose to not support the domestic abuser. Kris Bryant, to my knowledge, has done nothing to lose my support.

The Cubs, as well, have stated they would like to help Russell. They're not completely complacent. In the end, it's Russell who most likely took part in an illegal act. Not the Chicago Cubs. So it puts a weird situation on the Cubs where if you choose to be a fan of the Chicago Cubs, and Addison Russell takes a PA, or plays in the field, and one must then essentially either root against the team or root for Addison Russell. It's a situation, as a fan, I wish I didn't have to decide.

I understand why the Cubs didn't release Russell. They have plenty invested in him as a player, and seem to at least, somewhat, want to help him. But if I were the Cubs, I wouldn't have done that.
    So when Addi comes up to bat, are you going to hope he makes an out? Are you going to want him to make errors. Are you not going to watch him do anything? Are you going to boo him? Honest question.

He could have tremendous value on this team. If his head is now clear, he may turn out to be the player he was projected to be. An all star SS.

I for one want to see the Cubs win the WS, and I want to see Addi excel as a player. I'm hoping that he is an integral part of their success.

I made a mistakes when I was 21, 22, or whatever. It would be a shame if the rest of my life was effected because of them. He is paying for his mistakes and his behavior. I'd say it's ok to move on from it, and hope he turns his life around and becomes a contributor to society, and a contributor to the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    So when Addi comes up to bat, are you going to hope he makes an out? Are you going to want him to make errors. Are you not going to watch him do anything? Are you going to boo him? Honest question.

He could have tremendous value on this team. If his head is now clear, he may turn out to be the player he was projected to be. An all star SS.

I for one want to see the Cubs win the WS, and I want to see Addi excel as a player. I'm hoping that he is an integral part of their success.

I made a mistakes when I was 21, 22, or whatever. It would be a shame if the rest of my life was effected because of them. He is paying for his mistakes and his behavior. I'd say it's ok to move on from it, and hope he turns his life around and becomes a contributor to society, and a contributor to the Cubs.
    I mean, my previous post already says I wont actively root against the Cubs. So no, I won't do that. I also won't boo. I don't boo.

Honestly, I'm going to feel pretty dirty as a fan cheering on Addison Russell. If he did what he's being accused of, he's a piece of **** person. I don't like being in the corner of pieces of ****. I really don't care if he's an all star SS heading forward. And if he is, I'd rather he do it elsewhere.

I don't think beating the mother of your children is a "mistake". Not one that most 21 year olds say they have done. That's a choice. We all make mistakes. It sounds quite likely Russell was violent towards his wife. It didn't happen as a mistake.

I was married once. I made mistakes. Did I say things I wish I hadn't? Yes. Did I do things I wish I hadn't? Sure. Plenty. But I also didn't do anything to physically or emotionally hurt my ex wife. It's really not hard to not hit people.

So yeah, I don't feel Addison Russell made a mistake. I feel like he's a real piece of ****. And I'm sure he's not the only one in baseball who's a real piece of ****. But the curtain has been peeled back on him.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

I mean, my previous post already says I wont actively root against the Cubs. So no, I won't do that. I also won't boo. I don't boo.

Honestly, I'm going to feel pretty dirty as a fan cheering on Addison Russell. If he did what he's being accused of, he's a piece of **** person. I don't like being in the corner of pieces of ****. I really don't care if he's an all star SS heading forward. And if he is, I'd rather he do it elsewhere.

I don't think beating the mother of your children is a "mistake". Not one that most 21 year olds say they have done. That's a choice. We all make mistakes. It sounds quite likely Russell was violent towards his wife. It didn't happen as a mistake.

I was married once. I made mistakes. Did I say things I wish I hadn't? Yes. Did I do things I wish I hadn't? Sure. Plenty. But I also didn't do anything to physically or emotionally hurt my ex wife. It's really not hard to not hit people.

So yeah, I don't feel Addison Russell made a mistake. I feel like he's a real piece of ****.

Yeah I don't think anyone is condoning beating women. But I do think there is a big difference between pushing a woman and hauling off and socking her in the face. And it doesn't sound like the latter was the case.

[QUOTE=1908_Cubs;32756874]I mean, my previous post already says I wont actively root against the Cubs. So no, I won't do that. I also won't boo. I don't boo.

So yeah, I don't feel Addison Russell made a mistake. I feel like he's a real piece of ****. And I'm sure he's not the only one in baseball who's a real piece of ****. But the curtain has been peeled back on him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk[/Q

Should a man ever hit a woman? Absolutely not. And it goes both ways. It's just plain wrong.

I'll be honestÖ I know this isn't going to sound like I'm a wonderful person, but I am honestly more concerned about what the Cubs do on the field, then what Addi does off the field. But that's just me

The sanctimony is getting pretty thick on this thread. None of us knows what happened and as wrong as DV it's also wrong to see a kid lose his career because of allegations. Addison might do great things both on and off the field because the Cubs chose to stand by him and didn't succumb to the mob justice of social media.

The sanctimony is getting pretty thick on this thread. None of us knows what happened and as wrong as DV it's also wrong to see a kid lose his career because of allegations. Addison might do great things both on and off the field because the Cubs chose to stand by him and didn't succumb to the mob justice of social media.

Maybe your ex would say different? Maybe the things you said were received in an entirely different context than you think. Maybe they were emotionally abusive? You see where I am going with this?...This is a very slippery slope you are going down. I appreciate your opinion but when you keep the DV drumbeat going regarding a situation you really know nothing about and then you volunteer your own experiences, well...its a very subjective world we live in. You saw red maybe she saw green?

Maybe your ex would say different? Maybe the things you said were received in an entirely different context than you think. Maybe they were emotionally abusive? You see where I am going with this?...This is a very slippery slope you are going down. I appreciate your opinion but when you keep the DV drumbeat going regarding a situation you really know nothing about and then you volunteer your own experiences, well...its a very subjective world we live in. You saw red maybe she saw green?
    Yup

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast