Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 136
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    78,334

    All things Addison Russell

    This should have its own thread so itís not all mixed in with off-season baseball talk.

    Get him out of here, but anyways, discuss.

    The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS


    #15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWonítBeatATL, #YouWonítBeatMIN, #YouWonítBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #CanítRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    757
    The way I look at it is Russell is a 24 year old kid. When all this was going on he was 21 year old that was becoming very successful especially in 2015 when he had his break out year. If sure if we all look back to our days when we were 21 we did some things that people would call petty or immature like paying someone in change/dollar bills. I think we call all agree is was petty.

    I had a room mate that when he paid his rent he subtracted the cost of the stamp off of what he paid in rent.


    It just like the "Making a Murderer" you hear one side of the story that is construed one way and everyone is jumping on the band wagon. There will be due process. Let it play out before picking a side.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    78,334
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRoy View Post
    The way I look at it is Russell is a 24 year old kid. When all this was going on he was 21 year old that was becoming very successful especially in 2015 when he had his break out year. If sure if we all look back to our days when we were 21 we did some things that people would call petty or immature like paying someone in change/dollar bills. I think we call all agree is was petty.

    I had a room mate that when he paid his rent he subtracted the cost of the stamp off of what he paid in rent.


    It just like the "Making a Murderer" you hear one side of the story that is construed one way and everyone is jumping on the band wagon. There will be due process. Let it play out before picking a side.
    Ignoring the physical and mental abuse.

    Cool.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Ignoring the physical and mental abuse.

    Cool.
    Dude, that's not what he's saying. He's saying to let it play out and hear all the facts. That's a fairly harmless position to have. Can't just jump up and assume one side is 100% accurate because it fits the PR narrative. And nobody's dismissing the very real possibility that Addison Russell is a habitual wife beater and cheater. Just waiting for all the relevant info to come out before jumping to that conclusion from a friggin instagram post.

    Oh, and somewhat unrelated but I had a roommate who divided up the utility costs among us so he didn't have to pay for utilities... including the stamp to send it to the utility company. Honestly not sure why that's relevant but seemed topical...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,577

    All things Addison Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Dude, that's not what he's saying. He's saying to let it play out and hear all the facts. That's a fairly harmless position to have. Can't just jump up and assume one side is 100% accurate because it fits the PR narrative. And nobody's dismissing the very real possibility that Addison Russell is a habitual wife beater and cheater. Just waiting for all the relevant info to come out before jumping to that conclusion from a friggin instagram post.

    Oh, and somewhat unrelated but I had a roommate who divided up the utility costs among us so he didn't have to pay for utilities... including the stamp to send it to the utility company. Honestly not sure why that's relevant but seemed topical...
    Iím not sure what else is supposed to play out. She didnít, at least to this point, cooperate with police. It doesnít seem that criminal charges are going to be part of this. She did eventually cooperate with mlb. They investigated, suspended him for 40 games and he accepted that suspension and issued a statement accepting responsibility.

    Itís possible that more details or more instances emerge, but I think this has already played out.


    I give Theo the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to do the right thing by not releasing Russell. Maybe Iím naive, but I think they are sincerely trying to be invested in Russellís self improvement and that they feel a level of accountability for this happening while he was part of their organization. If they release him they are detached from it but they are also detached from any ďrecovery efforts.Ē I donít think they are keeping him because heís too hard to replace on the field, because he certainly is not. I think they are trying to do the right thing, but Im not sure if this is actually the right thing or if releasing him is the right thing. Itís a terrible situation.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-20-2018 at 12:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    757
    Iím just saying from my law enforcement experience there is a side to each story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. If you think she is completely innocent in any of this Iíd say you are wrong.

    Perspectives play a large role in it. I have never said Addy was innocent, but we havenít heard anything from him and I doubt we will.

    But for an example we have a stand up mother who is part of the city counsel. Her ex was what I would call a waste of air. But state law says for child exchange that there is a 12 hr window after the set time until it is a crime. And the mother would wait until 11 hrs and 45 min to give the kid to the father. So she did not commit a crime, but she was playing mind games. She was found in contempt of court by the judge after it happened so many times and was documented


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iím not sure what else is supposed to play out. She didnít, at least to this point, cooperate with police. It doesnít seem that criminal charges are going to be part of this. She did eventually cooperate with mlb. They investigated, suspended him for 40 games and he accepted that suspension and issued a statement accepting responsibility.

    Itís possible that more details or more instances emerge, but I think this has already played out.


    I give Theo the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to do the right thing by not releasing Russell. Maybe Iím naive, but I think they are sincerely trying to be invested in Russellís self improvement and that they feel a level of accountability for this happening while he was part of their organization. If they release him they are detached from it but they are also detached from any ďrecovery efforts.Ē I donít think they are keeping him because heís too hard to replace on the field, because he certainly is not. I think they are trying to do the right thing, but Im not sure if this is actually the right thing or if releasing him is the right thing. Itís a terrible situation.
    Never understood this mentality. Companies perform PR actions for PR, not because they care. If the Cubs release Russell it would be because the PR would hurt them financially too much, not because they were so outraged that Russell had to go. Companies make "woke" decisions to appeal to the emotions of their consumers, not because the companies actually care about the cause they are supposedly supporting. Kaepernick/Nike is a great example.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,577

    All things Addison Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Never understood this mentality. Companies perform PR actions for PR, not because they care. If the Cubs release Russell it would be because the PR would hurt them financially too much, not because they were so outraged that Russell had to go. Companies make "woke" decisions to appeal to the emotions of their consumers, not because the companies actually care about the cause they are supposedly supporting. Kaepernick/Nike is a great example.
    I think thatís very cynical. I believe that there are some people in leadership positions and some business owners that genuinely care about their employees well being and the community at large. I think some of these leaders are motivated by trying to do the right thing even if itís immediately unpopular. Maybe Theo isnít one of those people, maybe he is, but I believe those people exist.


    Why else would he be on the team now? He hasnít been very good. Javy is your 150 game shortstop. Zobrist, Descalso are your primary 2b. Bote is in the mix and your best prospect is a 2b/SS who is about a year away. They donít need Russell. Theyíd save some money that they do seem to need by dumping him. Itís awful PR to still have him rostered. Yet here we are.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-20-2018 at 02:08 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think thatís very cynical. I believe that there are some people in leadership positions and some business owners that genuinely care about their employees well being and the community at large. I think some of these leaders are motivated by trying to do the right thing even if itís immediately unpopular. Maybe Theo isnít one of those people, maybe he is, but I believe those people exist.


    Why else would he be on the team now? He hasnít been very good. Javy is your 150 game shortstop. Zobrist, Descalso are your primary 2b. Bote is in the mix and your best prospect is a 2b/SS who is about a year away. They donít need Russell. Theyíd save some money that they do seem to need by dumping him. Itís awful PR to still have him rostered. Yet here we are.
    Because Addison Russell makes this team better, at a very low cost, and with upside. The moment he doesn't improve the team - now or potentially in the future - he's off the team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Because Addison Russell makes this team better, at a very low cost, and with upside. The moment he doesn't improve the team - now or potentially in the future - he's off the team.
    It can be disputed that he makes the team better. But I do think the Cubs do not want to get rid of him for nothing. I also think they are hoping that if/when he comes back he can raise his value. Maybe then he makes the team better, or he raises his stock so they can trade him to get value back.
    However, I also think they are sticking by him because they do care. And, IMO, they are doing it because they feel it is the right thing to do for him as a human, not because of him as a player/asset.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Never understood this mentality. Companies perform PR actions for PR, not because they care. If the Cubs release Russell it would be because the PR would hurt them financially too much, not because they were so outraged that Russell had to go. Companies make "woke" decisions to appeal to the emotions of their consumers, not because the companies actually care about the cause they are supposedly supporting. Kaepernick/Nike is a great example.
    Super cynical and surely inaccurate. Sometimes people and even corporations (which are run by people) do the right thing simply because it's the right thing, not for a PR boost.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Because Addison Russell makes this team better, at a very low cost, and with upside. The moment he doesn't improve the team - now or potentially in the future - he's off the team.
    Iím not sure that he does. I think with Descalso added there are better uses for the $3 million theyíd save that could help this team more on the field.

    Russell is your back up SS on a team with an MVP candidate at SS with 2 players that were far superior hitters than him in 2018 splitting second base and another MVP candidate at 3b. His role is small.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRoy View Post
    It just like the "Making a Murderer" you hear one side of the story that is construed one way and everyone is jumping on the band wagon. There will be due process. Let it play out before picking a side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    Dude, that's not what he's saying. He's saying to let it play out and hear all the facts. That's a fairly harmless position to have. Can't just jump up and assume one side is 100% accurate because it fits the PR narrative. And nobody's dismissing the very real possibility that Addison Russell is a habitual wife beater and cheater. Just waiting for all the relevant info to come out before jumping to that conclusion from a friggin instagram post.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRoy View Post
    Iím just saying from my law enforcement experience there is a side to each story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. If you think she is completely innocent in any of this Iíd say you are wrong.

    Perspectives play a large role in it. I have never said Addy was innocent, but we havenít heard anything from him and I doubt we will.
    These same points were made back in September when this stuff was last in the news -- and there was far less concrete information available at that time.

    Be prepared to be labeled a mysogynist, a Russell apologist, and an enabler of domestic violence.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    757

    All things Addison Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    These same points were made back in September when this stuff was last in the news -- and there was far less concrete information available at that time.

    Be prepared to be labeled a mysogynist, a Russell apologist, and an enabler of domestic violence.
    And anyone who supports Trump is a racist. And anyone who supported Brett Kavanaugh was pro rape and sexual assaults. Go ahead use your labels.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigRoy; 12-20-2018 at 03:06 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    78,334
    Sad that a Ray Rice type video has to come out to open peoples eyes.

    The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS


    #15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWonítBeatATL, #YouWonítBeatMIN, #YouWonítBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #CanítRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •