Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If we win 2 outta 3 we make the playoffs correct? crazy that 8-7-1 would get us in but it just might.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpac_101 View Post
    There had to be someone to take the blame. Cousins is stuck here for 2 more years and Zimmer wasn't gonna be gone. I say if something doesnt change next year Zimmer will be gone than. Cousins is the only one you cant touch till 2021.
    It's funny because we talked about risk with the QB's this summer. I pointed out that Cousins at this salary being a meh QB was still a pretty big risk even if not the same as an injury/Teddy or one year wonder/Keenum who we question their current ability to play. You quoted me agreeing but it was largely considered the logical/safe move given people saw him as better/more proven based on his volume stats.

We haven't even made it through one season and an OC has been fired in part due to his play. I agree one more year and it may also be the downfall of Zimmer and even Rick. We are all in on the next few years and this is definitely not how it was expected to start off.

this isn't about blame as much as it is about fit............Flip's offense hasn't fit Cousins and certainly hasn't fit Zimmer.............now the problem is, Zimmer wants to do things he may not have the OL to be successful at....but we KNOW we'll see more running plays
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    It's funny because we talked about risk with the QB's this summer. I pointed out that Cousins at this salary being a meh QB was still a pretty big risk even if not the same as an injury/Teddy or one year wonder/Keenum who we question their current ability to play. You quoted me agreeing but it was largely considered the logical/safe move given people saw him as better/more proven based on his volume stats.

We haven't even made it through one season and an OC has been fired in part due to his play. I agree one more year and it may also be the downfall of Zimmer and even Rick. We are all in on the next few years and this is definitely not how it was expected to start off.
    That's the unfortunate part. As soon as kirk got all that money you knew they were all in on him. Zimmer is in his 5th year as HC, Cousins is in his 7th year, and Flip was gone after only 13 games. The organization has clearly put all their chips on Zimmer/Cousins and when it's all said and done Cousins may be the last one left. I firmly believe if we underachieve again next year Zim is gone and since no one is gonna touch Cousins' contract he's gonna be around for a few years yet. That signing could end up costing people their jobs when it's all said and done ... paviking mentioned this could be as bad as the herschel walker trade. When we look back on it that may just be accurate. This could set us back years but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by Wolfpac_101; 12-11-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    this isn't about blame as much as it is about fit............Flip's offense hasn't fit Cousins and certainly hasn't fit Zimmer.............now the problem is, Zimmer wants to do things he may not have the OL to be successful at....but we KNOW we'll see more running plays
    Well if you can't throw it to open receivers then there is no offense that's gonna fit that type of play. If I were a defense I'd do what Seattle was doing and focus on stopping the run and let Cousins beat you with his arm. Rattle him early in the game and make them one dimensional like they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    This is my issue. DeFilippo comes from Any Reid's style of offense. It's not like he doesn't want to run the ball. The issue is, our o-line can't run block lol 20% of Cook's carries go for negative yards and we've been terrible for years trying to run the ball in short yardage situations. Zim wants to control the clock on offense and win games with our defense but our personnel on offense doesn't fit that.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    This is my issue. DeFilippo comes from Any Reid's style of offense. It's not like he doesn't want to run the ball. The issue is, our o-line can't run block lol 20% of Cook's carries go for negative yards and we've been terrible for years trying to run the ball in short yardage situations. Zim wants to control the clock on offense and win games with our defense but our personnel on offense doesn't fit that.
    The league is turning into that style of offense. The rams with mcvay, the saints, matt nagy in chicago, the chiefs, the super high scoring offenses is what the league wants with the rule changes and with the creativity of these head coaches. Eventually those old school tendencies are gonna look like dinosaur philosophies and if you don't adapt you aren't gonna get it done.

I'm a little iffy about this move. Yes Flip should get the bulk of the blame but he really didn't have the pieces here IMO. Also, Zim wants to run the ball more yet we always freakin choose DB's in the first round!!! Let's invest in our o-line if were going to run the damn ball.

Am I the only one that feels a little bit of hope after this? The new O.C is familiar with the team and Defilippo did look like our main issue. We are going to make the playoffs and still have 3 games to figure it out, after that anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    Am I the only one that feels a little bit of hope after this? The new O.C is familiar with the team and Defilippo did look like our main issue. We are going to make the playoffs and still have 3 games to figure it out, after that anything can happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Stop doing this to yourself carter. Stop searching for hope. you know how this will end lol.

Haven't posted on here in a while... but this situation is something I'd like to weigh in on...
    DeFilippo-- when we had a solid candidate on staff (Stefanski), we chased the hot name who had knowledge of the RPO... Thing is, like every fad offense in the NFL, the Run-Pass Option has been figured out in just one offseason. These DCs get paid millions to make adjustments to the latest trends, and an entire offseason was more than enough time to adjust. Our offense has worked best all season when we go tempo and try to operate in hurry up. We never seem to employ that type of attack though until we are playing big-time catch up in the 3rd/4th quarters. I wonder how Stefanski feels after being looked over for someone out of house, then denied the opportunity to interview with another team...

The Cousins signing over the summer was a tough call. I liked Case and Teddy a lot and would have preferred to keep one of them, but I see where the FO was coming from in going after a big name target. Case had question marks over his career and consistency, Teddy obviously had injury questions... One thing you cannot overstate is the importance of the locker room and team chemistry in team sports. Say what you want about Case's arm talent and career as a journeyman, but the players liked him. He and the receivers were always on the same page. One thing I have consistently read out of Washington was that Cousin was not a well-liked guy over there. Instead of investing in those relationships we go out and make all these signings, bringing in new guys from outside the locker room who did not grow with the team through the past few years.

Richardson
    Bailey
    Iloka
    Cousins
    ... Out of that list, we have one player who has proven himself to be worthwhile this season. Carlson is thriving in Oakland under a head coach who treats him like a human instead of an expendable chess piece. Bailey has struggled greatly... We seem to have a problem at kicker no matter who is doing the job for us... Coaching to blame?

I love the move to fire Flip. The effort of our offense recently has been laughable. We still have time to salvage this season, but this has been the most frustrating year to be a Vikings fan to date... Worse than the year Teddy got hurt. Our team needed a change, and here's to hoping this was the right one!

The league is turning into that style of offense. The rams with mcvay, the saints, matt nagy in chicago, the chiefs, the super high scoring offenses is what the league wants with the rule changes and with the creativity of these head coaches. Eventually those old school tendencies are gonna look like dinosaur philosophies and if you don't adapt you aren't gonna get it done.
    Not necessarily. The Chiefs and Rams still run a lot. The Rams lead the league in snaps under center and play action. The Texans, Patriots, and Saints are top 5 in rushing attempts. Only the Steelers and Vikings are outside the top 16 in rushing yards and are holding a playoff spot.

The style Zimmer wants to play is possible if we had an offensive line that could run block. Last year with Berger at G and Remmers mostly at RT we werenít great but effective. IMO itís no coincidence that the biggest issue keeping this team out of the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years is offensive line. Last year we were at least competent and made the playoffs.

Remmers isnít a good fit at G. OíNeill has played well given his inexperience but itís obvious his body isnít up to NFL standards yet. Elflein is really struggling, likely because of his off season surgeries. Reiff is solid but probably better off at RT. Compton isnít the answer long term and I donít think Easton is either. Spielman really needs to bring in a good offensive lineman next year. This offensive line has caused far too many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Not necessarily. The Chiefs and Rams still run a lot. The Rams lead the league in snaps under center and play action. The Texans, Patriots, and Saints are top 5 in rushing attempts. Only the Steelers and Vikings are outside the top 16 in rushing yards and are holding a playoff spot.

The style Zimmer wants to play is possible if we had an offensive line that could run block. Last year with Berger at G and Remmers mostly at RT we werenít great but effective. IMO itís no coincidence that the biggest issue keeping this team out of the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years is offensive line. Last year we were at least competent and made the playoffs.

Remmers isnít a good fit at G. OíNeill has played well given his inexperience but itís obvious his body isnít up to NFL standards yet. Elflein is really struggling, likely because of his off season surgeries. Reiff is solid but probably better off at RT. Compton isnít the answer long term and I donít think Easton is either. Spielman really needs to bring in a good offensive lineman next year. This offensive line has caused far too many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the offense zimmer wants to run is the offense the jaguars wanted, run the ball 50 times and rely on the defense, only throw 10 times a game lol Our personnel doesn't fit that tho. That's why it just seems all messed up. We spend a huge boat load of money on a qb but want to be a running/defense team. We want to be a running/defense team but ignore the offense line, we ignore the offensive line but pass all the time. It's like the recycling logo with three arrows and it just goes around and around and around. From spielman all the way down to zimmer, OC, players etc nothing fits together in the grand scheme of things. And since we're so far deep in this rabbit hole I dunno how you dig yourself out of it any other way than wait it all out.

I think the offense zimmer wants to run is the offense the jaguars wanted, run the ball 50 times and rely on the defense, only throw 10 times a game lol Our personnel doesn't fit that tho. That's why it just seems all messed up. We spend a huge boat load of money on a qb but want to be a running/defense team. We want to be a running/defense team but ignore the offense line, we ignore the offensive line but pass all the time. It's like the recycling logo with three arrows and it just goes around and around and around. From spielman all the way down to zimmer, OC, players etc nothing fits together in the grand scheme of things. And since we're so far deep in this rabbit hole I dunno how you dig yourself out of it any other way than wait it all out.
    Nah I wouldn't say Zimmer wants to be that conservative. I mean if that's what he wanted I'm sure he would have taken more control of the O by now. Last year we were 11th in pass attempts and 7th in rush attempts. This year were 8th in pass attempts but 30th in rush attempts. That's where the big issue, IMO, for Zimmer comes from. We're not threat to run the ball. So play action doesn't work at all. The Rams offense is basically built around the play action. I think their style of offense would fit with what Zimmer wants. I don't think Zimmer has any issue being a passing team but I think our terrible our run game is driving him nuts. DeFilippo would just give up on the run all together and Zimmer knows we at least need to attempt to run to keep defenses honest.

I think the biggest issue is that Spielman tends to be cheap with his line. He thought since our line in 2017 was effective that 2018 would be the same. Boy was he wrong. After our 2016 debacle he went out and signed Reiff/Remmers and then draft Elflein. Considering we have few holes elsewhere, I expect him to go after lineman again.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

While the stat alone doesn't tell the whole story/can mislead we actually average slightly more per run this year than we did last year as a team. Right now both Murray/Cook are getting 4 yards per carry. We haven't been able to do it consistently but that can actually be a part of play calling too.

I definitely think we needed to take a different approach and hopefully this guy learned from Shurmur

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast