Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

This is great news! Time for Stefanski!

This had to happen but I'm really disappointed. I had high expectations for DeFilippo. He seemed to be highly respected and one of the up and coming coaches. Hopefully Kevin Stefanski can right the ship.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC

2019 Vikings Draft :

Ya I guess I am happy to hopefully see Stefanski get his shot. Honestly though after last night I really wonder if it has been more Cousins than anything else holding us back. It was Defilipos first time calling play though right? That could have been an issue for him as well. He was highly regarded coming in so it is definitely disappointing it ended this way.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Ya I guess I am happy to hopefully see Stefanski get his shot. Honestly though after last night I really wonder if it has been more Cousins than anything else holding us back. It was Defilipos first time calling play though right? That could have been an issue for him as well. He was highly regarded coming in so it is definitely disappointing it ended this way.
    He called plays for the Browns a few years ago. I was on board with defending him until last night. I've been ok with the lack of run plays considering 20% of Cooks runs have gone for negative yards but 5 different times we had 3rd and short and ran play action with no outlet or quick option. Hell I wouldn't trust our line to block me in the run game but you need to run the ball once or twice in those situations. The only time we ran in short yardage was the completely obvious 4th down run to Murray.

We've also completely gotten away from the mesh concepts we ran last year. Diggs and Thielen were always running open on short drag routes where we were designing picks on the corner. I haven't seen that at all this year. Stefanski can't make our line suck any less than it has but hopefully he can get back to what was working.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

I stated he isnt making it through the week, now the heat is on Zimmer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    He called plays for the Browns a few years ago. I was on board with defending him until last night. I've been ok with the lack of run plays considering 20% of Cooks runs have gone for negative yards but 5 different times we had 3rd and short and ran play action with no outlet or quick option. Hell I wouldn't trust our line to block me in the run game but you need to run the ball once or twice in those situations. The only time we ran in short yardage was the completely obvious 4th down run to Murray.

We've also completely gotten away from the mesh concepts we ran last year. Diggs and Thielen were always running open on short drag routes where we were designing picks on the corner. I haven't seen that at all this year. Stefanski can't make our line suck any less than it has but hopefully he can get back to what was working.
    Ya the short yaradage situations were frustrating.

I kinda disagree on the outlet/quick option though as on two separate key plays we had Diggs or Thielan open running a drag route right in front of him at the first down. Thielan was also open on that throw to Rudy for possible TD and probably was even the main target looking at it. That is what I was getting at in the other thread though is how do you ever call passing plays in key moments when the QB just ignores open WR's?

Funny you mention drag routes considering I saw those being ignored last night by Cousins. I didn't always see if there were picks on the corner but I saw once it was actually an LB trying to follow across. That end zone play Thielan was gonna be running right over the middle and the defender supposed to cover him was behind him and slipped too.

I pray the first thing Stefanski does is to remove WR motions on run plays. Literally every single run play we motion a WR to the edge of the line and then we run. We are the most obvious run team in the league. "Hey let's motion more bodies into the middle of the field and then try to run the ball". I hate that so much.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

That isn't to say he shouldn't be gone or that there aren't still obvious issues with Defilipo in his time here. I think he has his own struggles for sure.

Yesterday it was just so obvious how much Kirk was holding the offense and likely his play calling back a bit by constantly ignoring what appeared to be open/obvious targets within the play.

There had to be someone to take the blame. Cousins is stuck here for 2 more years and Zimmer wasn't gonna be gone. I say if something doesnt change next year Zimmer will be gone than. Cousins is the only one you cant touch till 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    I stated he isnt making it through the week, now the heat is on Zimmer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Was not agreeing with you until today. I agree that Zims seat at the very least is warm. In an offensive league we have digressed terribly and you have to wonder if some of the blame is on Zim. He's not an easy guy to get along with and I think Tony's passing had a lot to do with it this year.

I don't know if 3 games is enough for Kevin to really prove anything but at the least it will perhaps give someone who has been on this team for years a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    That isn't to say he shouldn't be gone or that there aren't still obvious issues with Defilipo in his time here. I think he has his own struggles for sure.

Yesterday it was just so obvious how much Kirk was holding the offense and likely his play calling back a bit by constantly ignoring what appeared to be open/obvious targets within the play.
    I'm not sure who to blame honestly. Outside of the Bills game, I thought Kirk played pretty well for most of the first 9 games. He looked good against GB but the Bears/Patriots/Seahawks games were so bad collectively. Those 3 teams were able to take away Thielen and Diggs. So if those 2 are limited and our run game stinks, what do we do from there? Do we blame play calling? Cousins? Poor secondary options? O-line? I think blame should be on everyone but DeFilippo had to take the fall. He and Zim clearly have different philosophies.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'm not sure who to blame honestly. Outside of the Bills game, I thought Kirk played pretty well for most of the first 9 games. He looked good against GB but the Bears/Patriots/Seahawks games were so bad collectively. Those 3 teams were able to take away Thielen and Diggs. So if those 2 are limited and our run game stinks, what do we do from there? Do we blame play calling? Cousins? Poor secondary options? O-line? I think blame should be on everyone but DeFilippo had to take the fall. He and Zim clearly have different philosophies.
    Ya I thought Kirk was fine to start the season as well but he has been real bad lately. I still just can't ignore how often WR's looked open on such limited views/tv screen yesterday (some were Diggs/Thielan and in fact most were Thielan). So many of them were in key situations with it just clearly being Kirk missing them and going somewhere else/taking sack/throwaway for no reason. IMO yesterdays game is mostly on Cousins. I really believe a backup QB has a chance to win that game with what I saw.

Overall though ya between Defilipo/Cousins/oline there is blame to go all around. Even yesterday like you said given how bad Cousins was playing maybe stop giving him chances. It sucks. You should never have to pay close to 30 mil for QB then actively have to hide him in the game plan but that is what was needed. We needed to run more and those short yardage situations need to be converted. He can call a solid play with Thielan open in the end zone all he wants but Cousins was not going to get it there yesterday either way so why keep trying?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast