Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Rumor Discussion

I didn't feel like a minor league post today so instead I'll start a new thread where I'll discuss whatever trade rumors appear in the news.

The name today seems to be Nick Ahmed. Ahmed is the Diamondbacks starting shortstop and he comes with a good glove and more power than you'd expect but he is terrible at getting on base and is overall a fairly weak hitter. He'd be an upgrade from what the Pirates currently have and over what they had last year but I'm not sure there is enough ceiling here for my liking.

The Pirates have adequate options all over the diamond but are lacking many spots where their options are significantly better than that and if you want to truly compete that is what you need. Ahmed would be a good solid upgrade for this club and give them a solid shortstop for the next two years but he wouldn't do much to remove the Pirates from an ever shrinking MLB middle class.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

The Pirates are reportedly one of the teams interested in Troy Tulowitzki. The name of course carries a lot of weight but the player comes with a lot of uncertainty. Tulo missed all of 2018 and played poorly in 2017 but the two prior seasons despite not playing up to his past star reputation he was still an above average regular. If the Pirates can get the 2015-2016 version of Tulo it would be quite a steal but with two years removed from that kind of production it is questionable whether he can get back to that level or not.

I've decided to just extend my break through the new year. Little is happening and the holidays have me quite busy. I doubt my daily content is missed but if it is it will be returning January 2nd.

Now while I'm here I am going to leave some thought of mine.

The Pirates offseason is not off to an exciting start but the more I thought about it the more it seems they are doing exactly what they should this year. Now I'm not confident it will continue but while thinking I came up with a very general 4 step plan for the offseason.

1. Take advantage of a slow market and identify needs and address them quickly with intriguing but flawed players who will come relatively cheaply. The budget doesn't allow all holes to be filled with surefire answers so getting your pick of the intriguing but flawed guys is key.

2. Look to move on from players who you feel time has run out for in the organization and look for high risk/high reward returns.

3. With your glaring holes filled in step one look for the splash move. I'm not talking signing Machado or Harper but find a good mid tier free agent to sign to a 2-3 year deal or make a trade where you either take on some salary or move some prospects.

4. Leave yourself with enough wiggle room to take advantage of any potential bargains that may appear.

The Pirates have done step one quite well. Chisenhall, Kang, Gonzalez and Lyles are all flawed but intriguing guys who have a chance to admirably fill holes on the roster but if something better cones along later none of them will be hard to move into another role.

Step two has also went well. Jordan Luplow, Max Moroff, Ivan Nova and even Tanner Anderson have all been traded away and in return the Pirates got low level lottery tickets who will most likely bust but who have the potential to really hit it big.

Step three is where we might get our problem. They need to make a signature move this offseason. The only player I've seen them even casually linked to who would qualify here is Jed Lowrie. But really this can be a middle infielder, corner outfielder or starting pitcher at this point but its something that needs to happen.

I think they will probably handle step 4 well. They have in the past with guys like Freese and really even Dickerson last year. No reason to think they won't be in position to do the same this year.

The real question seems to be will step three happen.

Since this is the rumor thread I will briefly mention that the Pirates seem to be a serious contender for Troy Tulowitzki. I definitely wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him but he is someone that falls more into the first step then he does the third which is what we really need to see from the Pirates this offseason.

I think they will probably handle step 4 well. They have in the past with guys like Freese and really even Dickerson last year. No reason to think they won't be in position to do the same this year.