Leadoff Hitter?
    Backup Catcher?

Cubs Offseason Moves:
    10/31: Claimed LHP Jerry Vasto off waivers from KC
    11/1: Claimed RF Johnny Field off waivers from MIN
    11/2: Exercised $20 mil option on LHP Cole Hamels
    11/2: Acquired a PTBNL from TEX for LHP Drew Smyly and PTBNL
    11/20: Acquired RHP Rowan Wick from SD for 3B Jason Vosler
    11/28: Acquired IF Ronald Torreyes from NYY for PTBNL; was non-tendered 11/30
    11/29: Acquired PTBNL or cash considerations from LAA for IF Tommy La Stella

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Iím going with bluefire, Harper to cubs.

Then Bauer to the yanks and Machado to the phils.

I'd love to see Harper sign here, but I think we'll end up adding a mid-level BP arm and be about done.

Or I could just be setting myself up so I'm not disappointed. But with all of the quotes from Theo, and the reports of us having no money - I'm a believer they are capped. Or at least...are being told their capped.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Imagine if weíre capped to the tune of $13M? Itís like, thank you Cole Hamels!

Donít get me wrong, I like coke Hamels and I think he did an outstanding job last season for us, but why would we pick up his option if it would mean we couldnít sign Harper? Thatís the thing thatís been ********** with my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezee View Post
    Donít get me wrong, I like coke Hamels and I think he did an outstanding job last season for us, but why would we pick up his option if it would mean we couldnít sign Harper? Thatís the thing thatís been ********** with my head.
    With the trade of Smyly, we added about $13m in salary by signing Hamels. It could be that they knew they couldn't get to $35m of open space, so they used what they did have on Hamels.

I doubt Hamels stopped us from being able to pursue Harper. If we really are this broke, it's probably that we never were going to have the money, signing Hamels or not.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

I'll go on record that I think there is no way this team just adds a mid level bp arm and then is done for the offseason. I'm pretty sure they've got plans A - L all lined up right now and are exploring every option to add wins. If they don't have money then they'll be looking to get creative by shedding some salary or exploring trades. Maybe not this week, but there will be moves coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I'll go on record that I think there is no way this team just adds a mid level bp arm and then is done for the offseason. I'm pretty sure they've got plans A - L all lined up right now and are exploring every option to add wins. If they don't have money then they'll be looking to get creative by shedding some salary or exploring trades. Maybe not this week, but there will be moves coming.
    I don't think they'll be "done for the offseason". Just done for the Meetings. I think it'll be a very quiet one for the Cubs.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezee View Post
    Bc 17 mill for a starter like Cole hamels is a great deal. But better value there than 35 mill for Harper .... heck maybe more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Iím sure they do have things lined up but this isnít a video game ... this isnít Ďnam man we got freaking rules.

There wonít be a bunch of moves made on a 95 win team. End of story

But I sure hope we get Harper.... otherwise I hope we sign a closer and another bullpen piece. Call it an off-season and tell the hitters they better produce in 19 or gtfo

The Nightingale thing is dumb. They just had a bunch of drama about a potential Bryant trade because they said nobody is untouchable and now heís saying they are shutting down any offers on Schwarber saying heís untouchable?

Realistically, they value Schwarber and wonít trade him for the types of offers they have been getting, but nobody is untouchable. They have been very clear on that.

I think they're going to be value shopping, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make any signings until well after the meetings. Maybe they take their shot at Miller or Britton. I'm interested to see who they're talking to in trade discussions. If the Dodgers are serious about moving Puig, I'd definitely like the Cubs to be in on those talks.

I think we sign Miller and also make a Happ + Russell trade. After the meetings theyíll grab McCutchen and be ready to start the season outside of depth moves.

2018 Cubs Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

Former Cub Lee Smith and former White Sox Harold Baines inducted to Hall of Fame via Todayís Game Era Committee

2016 World Series Champions!!!

2018 Cubs Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

So Lee Smith topped out at 50.6% in his 15 years on the ballot and Harold Baines spent 5 years on the ballot, only going as high as 6.1% and now theyíre suddenly Hall of Famers? I swear Baseball is going to find a way to induct everyone who has ever played the game of Baseball to the Hall of Famer, except drug cheats and members of the 1919 Chicago White Sox and they might remove Ty Cobb whilst theyíre at it.

Page 1 of 171 1231151101 ... LastLast