Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 128 of 174 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2605
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Imagine being happy that our lone move this offseason was to add a crappy clubhouse guy. The fact that people are "upset" is because the billionaire ricketts are being stingy as hell. This was a wild card team, we aren't just a descalso away from a world series. Though I'm sure youre content with the single world series win in 2016. That's the kind of complacency that made the Cubs losers for over 100 years.
    A wild card team with no morrow darvish strop and a injured Bryant. Oh with the best record in the national league at that until game 163 against the Brewers. Perspective. Son perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    So now that the unknowns are done, does anyone have the total of where that puts the Cubs 2019 payroll as of now? I think we were all working off a $225-$229 estimate (including the benefits money). We should have an actual number now. I guess we still donít know the pre arb guys, but we should be able to guess within a 100k or so for them.
    I know it's been answered, but here what I have. I'm going to give Addi his 600k bonus so we can have worst case scenario numbers. Before arb number were final: 209/227. After numbers are in, I ave: 205.2/223

I have them coming in 3.8 million under projections. It almost feels like they cleared some salary room! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I know it's been answered, but here what I have. I'm going to give Addi his 600k bonus so we can have worst case scenario numbers. Before arb number were final: 209/227. After numbers are in, I ave: 205.2/223

I have them coming in 3.8 million under projections. It almost feels like they cleared some salary room! Hahaha
    Great! now we just have to seriously back load a Harper deal!!!!

Imagine being happy that our lone move this offseason was to add a crappy clubhouse guy. The fact that people are "upset" is because the billionaire ricketts are being stingy as hell. This was a wild card team, we aren't just a descalso away from a world series. Though I'm sure youre content with the single world series win in 2016. That's the kind of complacency that made the Cubs losers for over 100 years.
    But are we a healthy Bryant/Morrow/Darvish/Strop away from being a WS Contender? I think everyone here agrees we could use a bullpen arm. But it's not the end of the world if we don't get it.

3 year age difference and Martin still is better than descalso during his decline years than descalso is now at his "peak"
    Maybe he was "during" his decline, but we're not "during" the decline of Russell Martin any longer. We're right there. He's declined. He had a .305 wOBA last year. He was worth .6 fWAR last season. Descalso put up a .341 wOBA last season (and there's reason to believe he's going to continue to hit well, there's a nice fangraphs article on it, not that I suspect you'll bother to read it). Descalso was worth 1.6 fWAR last season.

Descalso is the better player, signed for less money next season. But continue to warp words and fit them into your baiting/trolling narrative you enjoy weaving.
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Maybe he was "during" his decline, but we're not "during" the decline of Russell Martin any longer. We're right there. He's declined. He had a .305 wOBA last year. He was worth .6 fWAR last season. Descalso put up a .341 wOBA last season (and there's reason to believe he's going to continue to hit well, there's a nice fangraphs article on it, not that I suspect you'll bother to read it). Descalso was worth 1.6 fWAR last season.

Descalso is the better player, signed for less money next season. But continue to warp words and fit them into your baiting/trolling narrative you enjoy weaving.
    Yes. Descalso is a substantially better option and player than Martin.

I think that if he wasn't tied in to a contract he would have been out of baseball a couple of years ago.

This guy is seriously upset that we didnít sign Russell Martin? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    This guy is seriously upset that we didnít sign Russell Martin? lol
    Yeah, pretty much.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

It isnít just WCWW either. This forum has had multiple freak outs this offseason. The biggest one has been not signing Jesse Chavez to a multi-year deal after pitching well for the Cubs for 3 months and sucking the rest of his 10 year career.

There has also been sulking at not trying to sign Brian Dozier. Woof!

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    It isnít just WCWW either. This forum has had multiple freak outs this offseason. The biggest one has been not signing Jesse Chavez to a multi-year deal after pitching well for the Cubs for 3 months and sucking the rest of his 10 year career.

My only issue with losing Chavez is the teams seeming inability to pay for him. He was cheap. We should have that kind of money. If the team liked him I'm not excited about the concept of not paying that small amount for what you want.

Chavez himself is whatever. It's the principal I'm concerned over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    We're From Philadelphia

We. Fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    My only issue with losing Chavez is the teams seeming inability to pay for him. He was cheap. We should have that kind of money. If the team liked him I'm not excited about the concept of not paying that small amount for what you want.

Chavez himself is whatever. It's the principal I'm concerned over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If we can find an internal option, cheaper, I say ride with what weíve got and every million seems to count these days unfortunately. Losing Chavez in free agency is a case of whatever. Though, I totally understand your point of view.

I get wanting a BP arm but the deadline being so far out, we will probably swing a trade and just go with what weíve got right now.

2018 Cubs Offseason Thread 2.0: Winter Meetings Edition

This team could use Chavez, Dozier, or even Martin. The complaints about missing out on those types of players would be silly if they were instead getting other players. Maybe they will. But if they are going into the season with Chatwood, Duensing, and Kintzler locked into roles in the bullpen then I think itís pretty rational to complain about not giving Chavez $4 mil per year for 2 years. He was the best reliever on the team last year.
    Last edited by CP_414; 01-12-2019 at 10:08 PM.

I see quite a few similarities between Bryce Harper and Alex Rodriguez. Both were highly regarded amateurs, drafted first overall without going to college. Both made a very early debut and did not sign an extension so they hit free agency in their prime (A-Rod was one year younger). And both are/were represented by Boras, and set the bar for the highest contract ever.

But Harper hasn't produced like A-Rod produced. In fWAR, A-Rod's pre-free agency numbers were 9.2, 4.3, 7.9, 4.7, and 9.5. Harper's were 9.3, 3.0, 4.8, and 3.5. Based on the last three years it looks like Harper will be about a 4 WAR outfielder, which is good, but not 35 million a year good. It would be the 10th highest WAR among 2018 outfielders, right where Tommy Pham was. And it's the outfield - not a difficult offensive position like shortstop.

I understand the differences between the two and the differences between money spent now versus then. But Harper is still surviving off his amateur hype and that one near 9 WAR season that he never came close to repeating. He's not proven, plain and simple. Not 35M/year proven, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    This team could use Chavez, Dozier, or even Martin. The complaints about missing out on those types of players would be silly if they were instead getting other players. Maybe they will. But if they are going into the season with Chatwood, Duensing, and Kintzler locked into roles in the bullpen then I think itís pretty rational to complain about not giving Chavez $4 mil per year for 2 years. He was the best reliever on the team last year.
    I would say that Strop, Cishek and Morrow (when he pitched) were all better and are all better moving them. But yes, I agree that there is a lot of rubbish in the BP that adding a Chavez wouldnít be such a terrible thing for the dollars that surely the Cubs could have afforded. I do hope we have something up our sleeve moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    I see quite a few similarities between Bryce Harper and Alex Rodriguez. Both were highly regarded amateurs, drafted first overall without going to college. Both made a very early debut and did not sign an extension so they hit free agency in their prime (A-Rod was one year younger). And both are/were represented by Boras, and set the bar for the highest contract ever.

But Harper hasn't produced like A-Rod produced. In fWAR, A-Rod's pre-free agency numbers were 9.2, 4.3, 7.9, 4.7, and 9.5. Harper's were 9.3, 3.0, 4.8, and 3.5. Based on the last three years it looks like Harper will be about a 4 WAR outfielder, which is good, but not 35 million a year good. It would be the 10th highest WAR among 2018 outfielders, right where Tommy Pham was. And it's the outfield - not a difficult offensive position like shortstop.

I understand the differences between the two and the differences between money spent now versus then. But Harper is still surviving off his amateur hype and that one near 9 WAR season that he never came close to repeating. He's not proven, plain and simple. Not 35M/year proven, at least.
    I want Harper for the fact that he is a very good hitter and after 2018, more of that wonít hurt. But I agree that $35M AAV is ridiculous for how he has produced the last year and more. Maybe if he wants to get to the Cubs so badly to play in his so called favourite city and with his friend, then he can accomodate the team and not demand such a high fee. It wonít happen but he also wonít go hungry on $25M AAV. I know that Scott boras wonít allow it but Bryce Harper is a pretty good meal ticket who will churn out another high contract when he uses an opt out in 3 or 4 years.

I would say that Strop, Cishek and Morrow (when he pitched) were all better and are all better moving them. But yes, I agree that there is a lot of rubbish in the BP that adding a Chavez wouldnít be such a terrible thing for the dollars that surely the Cubs could have afforded. I do hope we have something up our sleeve moving forward.

Chavez had the best era, FIP, and xFIP in the Cubs pen last year. He had the best bb/9 by far and put up more fWAR in 39 ip than Strop did in 59, Cishek did in 70, and nearly twice as much as Morrow had in his 30 ip.

Iím not saying heíd repeat that performance at the same level, but itís not crazy to be disappointed that they couldnít give him $8 mil over 2 years. He was awfully good.