Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 124 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 2474
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cub View Post
    Per AZ Phil, the Cubs have signed Zach Borenstein OF who had been in the Mets farm system.
    Strange, as a kid I could have sworn it was Zach Borenstain...

Quote Originally Posted by cubswin25 View Post
    The pen isn't any thinner then it was going into 16, 17 or last year.

16-Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop, Justin Grimm, Travis Wood, Trevor Cahill, Adam Warren, Clayton Richard

17-Wade Davis, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Koji Uehara, Hector Rondon, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

18-Brandon Morrow, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Steve Cishek, Justin Wilson, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

So far....

19-Brandon Morrow, Pedro Strop, Steve Cishek, Carl Edwards, Brandon Kintzler, Randy Rosario, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

So the Cubs did nothing and pen looks no different then last few seasons and I'm pretty confident they will sign at least one decent RP still this off season. I think Duensing/Rosario will be competing for a spot in the pen. While people are too quick to write off Kintzler. He had a 3.09 era from 13-17 and 3.59 before the trade.

He had about 18 bad innings like we saw Justin Wilson do after midseason trade in 2017. So it's not a thinner pen at all. While a rotation is incredibly deep. We have Jose Quintana or Yu Darvish as 5th starter right now.

Plus theres question marks and ifs for every team. At the end of the day the Cubs havea very good team and a lot of improvement from in. When you consider health and young players.
    1) Harper is not worth it with only one superstar year on his resume.
    2) In a year where players are taking less money, why are you clamoring for the Cubs to cripple future payrolls by spending on a player with the same 2019 fWAR as Eduardo Escobar?
    3) The team needs maybe a reliever, and they're fine. I suspect they will get that via trade.

I will go out on a limb and say the Cubs will perform better than expected next year. So much talent already assembled and the perfect storm of 2018 is unlikely to repeat itself. No need to spend 350 million in a panic move.

I keep expecting this jaw dropping out of the blue bombshell for the Cubs.

And then I keep being sad that it hasn't happened.

The ONLY hashtag that even matters now...
    #SBCHAMPS

#15Points, #Steamrolled, #NotEvenCapable, #SeasonsOver, #WellDeserved, #YouWon’tBeatATL, #YouWon’tBeatMIN, #YouWon’tBeatNE, #Blowout, #Classless, #Trash, #7YearsAway, #Can’tRun, #Overrated, #BulletinBoard, #StoryTime, #Underdogs, #Snoozefest, #LeakedParade, #NotInTheSameUniverse
    #FreeGreenMonster

I don't know if this has been discussed, but is it possible the Cubs are just waiting to see what the payroll is after all the arbitration eligible players have gotten their raises before making any other moves?

What are the odds we get lucky enough to get Panik back in a heyward deal with the Giants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why I'm so glad the Cubs brought back Cole Hamels. I have as much confidence in him as I would if they still had Arrieta. The hitting is young and can still improve. Having 5 really good SP. Gives you depth in case of injury. If say Lester or Darvish or Hamels goes on DL for a few weeks? Well you still feel good about a rotation with four strong SP and solid fill in guy like Montgomery.
    Am I the only one that is not confident that Cole Hamels will be good next year? He was really good when we first acquired him but wasn't as good at the end of the year.

August - ERA 0.69, FIP 2.29, xFIP 3.05
    September - ERA 4.10, FIP 4.61, xFIP 4.16

I don't think its safe to assume that he'll be good. He very well could be, but I don't think its a given. I think its more likely that he'll have an up and down season.
    Last edited by ILMindState; 01-11-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I don't know if this has been discussed, but is it possible the Cubs are just waiting to see what the payroll is after all the arbitration eligible players have gotten their raises before making any other moves?
    The short answer is "probably not", but it does raise the question of why MLB's offseason deadlines aren't set up differently. You'd think teams would want to get this arb stuff settled earlier, for this exact reason.

Tender offers by Nov 10. Exchange figures by Nov 20. Begin arb hearings Dec 1 for those that don't settle. Wrap it all up before winter meetings in mid December.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Am I the only one that is not confident that Cole Hamels will be good next year? He was really good when we first acquired him but wasn't as good at the end of the year.

August - ERA 0.69, FIP 2.29, xFIP 3.05
    September - ERA 4.10, FIP 4.61, xFIP 4.16

I don't think its safe to assume that he'll be good. He very well could be, but I don't think its a given. I think its more likely that he'll have an up and down season.
    Hendricks is really the only guy I can feel confident in. Some variant of the above applies to each of the other four.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Hendricks is really the only guy I can feel confident in. Some variant of the above applies to each of the other four.
    Thats why a trade with the Indians for Kluber or Bauer makes sense to me. I feel like the offense could be fine, but the pitching may get rocked on the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Strange, as a kid I could have sworn it was Zach Borenstain...
    Blame it on the Mandela effect.

The pen isn't any thinner then it was going into 16, 17 or last year.

16-Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop, Justin Grimm, Travis Wood, Trevor Cahill, Adam Warren, Clayton Richard

17-Wade Davis, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Koji Uehara, Hector Rondon, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

18-Brandon Morrow, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Steve Cishek, Justin Wilson, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

So far....

19-Brandon Morrow, Pedro Strop, Steve Cishek, Carl Edwards, Brandon Kintzler, Randy Rosario, Brian Duensing, Mike Montgomery

So the Cubs did nothing and pen looks no different then last few seasons and I'm pretty confident they will sign at least one decent RP still this off season. I think Duensing/Rosario will be competing for a spot in the pen. While people are too quick to write off Kintzler. He had a 3.09 era from 13-17 and 3.59 before the trade.

He had about 18 bad innings like we saw Justin Wilson do after midseason trade in 2017. So it's not a thinner pen at all. While a rotation is incredibly deep. We have Jose Quintana or Yu Darvish as 5th starter right now.

Plus theres question marks and ifs for every team. At the end of the day the Cubs havea very good team and a lot of improvement from in. When you consider health and young players.
    Love your enthusiasm. And, I do see things a lot like you do. To me there is way too much negativity around this team. As I have said before, there is nothing they can do about what other teams do. They can only work with their team. And if they do add a decent pen arm the team should be very strong again. Even if they do not make other moves. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
    1) Harper is not worth it with only one superstar year on his resume.
    2) In a year where players are taking less money, why are you clamoring for the Cubs to cripple future payrolls by spending on a player with the same 2019 fWAR as Eduardo Escobar?
    3) The team needs maybe a reliever, and they're fine. I suspect they will get that via trade.

I will go out on a limb and say the Cubs will perform better than expected next year. So much talent already assembled and the perfect storm of 2018 is unlikely to repeat itself. No need to spend 350 million in a panic move.
    Not sure about your assessment of Harper, but I do agree with you that this team will perform better than most here expect them to. Get a pen arm and lets see how it goes. However, if they were somehow able to land Harper I would not be upset.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    The short answer is "probably not", but it does raise the question of why MLB's offseason deadlines aren't set up differently. You'd think teams would want to get this arb stuff settled earlier, for this exact reason.

Tender offers by Nov 10. Exchange figures by Nov 20. Begin arb hearings Dec 1 for those that don't settle. Wrap it all up before winter meetings in mid December.
    This makes all the sense in the world! Of course teams have a pretty good idea where there books will stand before hand, but to have it finalized by the winter meetings would seem to be a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Blame it on the Mandela effect.
    Thank you. I set the over/under at 0.5 people getting it.

Last edited by s2obed; 01-11-2019 at 01:51 PM.