Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Juniors/Seniors skipping the Bowl Game to "prepare for NFL Draft"

So am curious.... After hearing Wil Grier is skipping his Bowl Game to work on the NFL Draft, it made me wonder what your opinions of that is. Also if you think it would hurt or help them for the Draft. In my opinion, unless they were injured or not cleared by doctor (Rosen), they shouldn't skip the Bowl game. To me that speaks poorly of their character, that they care more about themselves than their team.

And for the really good players that go high in the draft, you will likely be going to a bad team so that's not the type of personality I would want on the team. I know the risk of injury, but personally I feel you shouldn't skip the Bowl Game unless you are not medically cleared to play.

i think skipping a bowl game is ok unless its one of the cfb playoff bowls. not a fan of guys skipping a chance on a title shot for the draft. other then that a guy like christian mcaffrey skipping the rose bowl is cool with me.

^Being a Stanford fan, I was upset he skipped the Rose Bowl for the NFL Draft.......

A case can be built both ways, but the question then becomes....where does it stop?
    If your team is not going to make a major bowl, is it OK to stop playing around week 10? I was OK with Nick Bosa only because he wasn't likely to be healthy and basically hadn't been with the team all year anyway.

I'm not a fan. You represent the school as long as they're paying your scholarship. You are and you aren't a paid employee, but you bear an obligation to represent the school. I do, however, understand the school makes a lot of money from the team, but that's also how they build teams and facilities for the players that come after you.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Screaming it's all about me, sucks. Forget you school, coachs , teammates, all that matters is me, not a good look.

This means those colleges are going to have to shell out even more under the table money to get them to play in the Bowl games now.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    This means those colleges are going to have to shell out even more under the table money to get them to play in the Bowl games now.
    You really think that still goes on for the big schools?

the selfish fan in me hates it because I want to see the best players play, but the sympathist in me understands it, I remember Jake Butt shredding his knee in a bowl and slipping way down in the draft, now Rashaun Gary has struggled with injuries all year and is skipping the bowl game and I'm cool with it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenorazon View Post
    You really think that still goes on for the big schools?
    Of course it does. I'm sure every big name school is paying their players under the table. Just look at the schools implicated in the recent College basketball pay to play scheme:

Duke
    North Carolina
    Texas
    Kentucky
    Michigan State
    USC
    Alabama
    North Carolina State
    Seton Hall
    LSU
    Maryland
    Washington
    South Carolina
    Louisville
    Utah
    Xavier
    Wichita State
    Clemson
    Kansas
    Creighton
    Notre Dame
    Vanderbilt
    Virginia
    Iowa State

If you think all those schools are the only ones paying players, or that those schools are only playing their basketball players (despite the fact that basketball revenues are a fraction what football revenues are), I don't know what to tell you. It's obvious to everyone colleges are paying their athletes.

Of course it does. I'm sure every big name school is paying their players under the table. Just look at the schools implicated in the recent College basketball pay to play scheme:

Duke
    North Carolina
    Texas
    Kentucky
    Michigan State
    USC
    Alabama
    North Carolina State
    Seton Hall
    LSU
    Maryland
    Washington
    South Carolina
    Louisville
    Utah
    Xavier
    Wichita State
    Clemson
    Kansas
    Creighton
    Notre Dame
    Vanderbilt
    Virginia
    Iowa State

If you think all those schools are the only ones paying players, or that those schools are only playing their basketball players (despite the fact that basketball revenues are a fraction what football revenues are), I don't know what to tell you. It's obvious to everyone colleges are paying their athletes.
    So no fear at all of unless I start I'm ratting you out? No fear of a backup not getting paid "I'll get even"?

So the parents are told about this? The kid is getting paid then gets beat out, now what? Kid gets hurt but still gets that money?

So how much, who gets the money? No fear of a kid "I was making more at State, that is all you can pay?"

Screaming it's all about me, sucks. Forget you school, coachs , teammates, all that matters is me, not a good look.
    How about those 5 million dollar a year coaches who skip their bowl game because they have taken a better job with another school for more money. Wake up Polyannas - its a ****ing business

So no fear at all of unless I start I'm ratting you out? No fear of a backup not getting paid "I'll get even"?

So the parents are told about this? The kid is getting paid then gets beat out, now what? Kid gets hurt but still gets that money?

So how much, who gets the money? No fear of a kid "I was making more at State, that is all you can pay?"
    No fear at all because they're still getting money.

Again that list is all schools that we know are paying athletes. So what is the answer to your questions for the above schools, because we know they are paying athletes.

Do you think the 20 names schools are the only ones paying athletes? How do the other schools compete if these schools are offering money and they aren't?

Again that list is all schools that we know are paying athletes. So what is the answer to your questions for the above schools, because we know they are paying athletes.

Do you think the 20 names schools are the only ones paying athletes? How do the other schools compete if these schools are offering money and they aren't?
    Since this is a for profit business I think the free labor (players) should be compensated. IF you think they are getting a free education you are mistaken. Many schools will drop kids that are no longer of use and not honor their scholarships regardless of how good a student a kid is. Pay for play. These allege athletic scholarships are free (zero cash cost) to the school. It is a free labor business model with everyone except the players getting rich. I saw an sports economics professor calculate that players for power 5 schools should be making 80 to 100 k per year.

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    How about those 5 million dollar a year coaches who skip their bowl game because they have taken a better job with another school for more money. Wake up Polyannas - its a ****ing business
    So if kids want to bail out of the Final Four, cool?

So Alabama is real confident no kid sitting on the bench not getting paid won't rat them out?

Kid gets his money as a frosh/soph then here comes a better player who beats him out. He still makes his money? No fear of some parent......."where is my son getting his money?"

Derrick Henry asked about why he chose Alabama...'they paid me the most"
    Last edited by Zenorazon; 12-14-2018 at 03:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast