Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2018-19 Infield

2019 Infield

I think the Tigers are one more year away from the future of the infield formulated of Paredes at 3B, Willi Castro/Sergio Alcantara at SS, Cody Clemens at 2B, and Jeimer Candelario at 3B which I am completely on board with in 2020. However, we have a year in between these prospects coming up and into the line up. So, what do we do?

Here's how I would look at it and how I would solve it if I were Avila:

1. There are a lot of middling to below middling SS solutions: Galvis, Mercer, Hechevaria, and Eduardo Escobar but one that was just added to the mix in Tim Beckman has my interest peaked a bit. The others, you know what your getting but in Beckman, well, you don't and that could be good or bad for the Tigers. I think he will be cheap (1 year $3M or below) and well worth the risk so he's who I sign to take over at SS in 2019. Hopefully, he has a good year and is of some trade value come the deadline but if not he keeps the seat warm for either Castro or Alcantara.

2. Third base is an easy one for 2019 as Jeimer Candelario will once again play the hot corner. Ultimately, I think he will become the first baseman of the future with Paredes moving from SS in the minors to his eventual home at 3B. Paredes size will fit better there and I can see him being an above average fielder at 3B. One thing I would do if I were Gardenhire is get Jeimer some reps at 1B this year to get him jump started on his new position.

3. Second base has some options as well this year. I see Nico Goodrum as the starter but we could bring in a guy like John Schoop or Torreyes to see if we could create some trade value from them at the deadline. Both mentioned are low cost possible high reward guys and it would allow Goodrum to take the utility spot so we don't have Ronny Rodriguez or Dixon on our roster. If I am Avila, I go with the high end Schoop to fill second base this year.

4. Catcher is in a state of flux again. With the release of McCann (who I loved but couldn't hit enough to justify the salary) we have brought in the Grayson Greiner era but we need to pair him with someone because I don't think he's a full time option or at least hasn't proved to be. The Tigers keep pushing Rogers as the future catcher but he presents the same problems as McCann and Greiner, they can't hit. So to remedy that and give us a LH bat at the position, I would sign Matt Weiters. The guys been around and has the experience to help out the young catchers. I am also keeping Hicks on the roster (see below) to fill in if needed due to lack of hitting or injuries. Weiters will be low cost at this point of his career and can also fill in at 1B, DH, and even in the OF if called on.

5. First Base is Miggy's for the most part but I think Mig's will see a ton of DH in his future. If we keep Hicks and sign Weiters, this gives us two other options at those two spots and don't forget about getting Candelario some PT over there also. I think we are well covered by signing Weiters, having Hicks/Candelario/Miggy available for the 1B spot. We would have the present and the future (Candelario) there this year.

So, here's the summation of my babbling:

Sign: Beckman, Schoop, and Weiters to one year deals and look to trade at the deadline

Roster:
    Catcher- Greiner, Weiters
    First Base- Miggy, Hicks
    Second Base- Schoop, Goodrum
    SS- Beckman, Goodrum
    Third Base- Candelario, Goodrum (Castro/Alcantara if needed due to injuries)
    Last edited by hoog; 12-06-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Schoop and Weiters could be a good trade deadline guys to move as well.

I'm stunned to find out Wieters is only 32

Is Schoop really considered low cost? He's 27 and a year removed from a huge season

bonus edit: I see the Twins already got Schoop anyway, 1 year $7.5M plus incentives, so yeah I guess he was low cost
    Last edited by GuySir; 12-07-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I'm stunned to find out Wieters is only 32

Is Schoop really considered low cost? He's 27 and a year removed from a huge season

bonus edit: I see the Twins already got Schoop anyway, 1 year $7.5M plus incentives, so yeah I guess he was low cost
    Actually, I think that is still a little high for Schoop but I can't believe the Tigers didn't bite on him or Torreyes. I'd like to see a Beckman deal between $3.5 and $5M then we could leave Goodrum at 2B.

Tulo!